PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS
 

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-13, 10:11AM   #16
Polar-Pontiac
Northern Racer
 
Polar-Pontiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Timmins Ont
Posts: 4,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964gtojeff View Post
Big chief was a lot faster than 10 flat w his nitrous set up. He is now switching to turbos w help from Travis Q.
He is also the SAME big chief in the show that is setting up the races. Justin is a gd guy. Show looked pretty gd while I was awake. Can't do that around here too small an area with too many people. Looked dangerous even in the. Middle of no where.
Big Irresponsible Chief... I give him a big fat zero for promoting & participating in this sort of behavior. I don't give a rat ass how fast his new ride is. He is being a ass clown endangering other people.
Polar-Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 12:42PM   #17
Mb125
Registered User
 
Mb125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,730
Default

It's what one could have expected for TV
__________________
One law for them another law for us
Mb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-13, 01:34PM   #18
Gach
Administrator
 
Gach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ....
Posts: 12,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964gtojeff View Post
Big chief was a lot faster than 10 flat w his nitrous set up. He is now switching to turbos w help from Travis Q.
He is also the SAME big chief in the show that is setting up the races. Justin is a gd guy. Show looked pretty gd while I was awake. Can't do that around here too small an area with too many people. Looked dangerous even in the. Middle of no where.
Yeah he is a good guy, we are all good guys, but with the Internet Guys get pretrade in a different light. People don't really know you. As we've all seen throughout the years there's a lot of shysters in the Pontiac hobby. But god forbid you expose them or a product. I just didnt put two and two together, didnt realize he was the one Organizing the racing. When he first got on the boards he was just starting to play around with nitrous so that 10.00 stuck in my mine. The adrenaline rush you get from drag racing is like a drug and makes some guys do crazy things. He's a good guy but I'm afraid with this show people are going to look and judge him differently. The bad thing people are going to watch this and it's going to look bad for anyone who drag races. Hopefully they'll look at this like these guys are a bunch of hicks racing on the street. But their going to use this show and make it tuffer for any race track owner who's trying to keep their race track open.

A few years back we where trying to get a race track and the twon c
Town Council used the fact that it would Promote street racing, and the public bought it and got it turn down. The sad part is they had the money and the land to do it. It would have been a good Sauce of revenue for the town that has a very high Property tax rate. It would have done the Opposite and gotten guy off the streets. The Guys organizing this had a very bad PR Campaign. Unfortunately they saw the dollars they could make and never thought about the good PR that would have sold it.
__________________
The things they hide, the way they spin things, the excuses that they make and the things they omit.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 12:58AM   #19
sprint250
Moteesuh
 
sprint250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla , California
Posts: 2,678
Default

Lou,
when you sit down and do the math on what it takes to build and operate just an eigth mile track let a lone a 1/4 mi. track the capital expense is huge.
professionally designed plans
environmental impact report
All the permits:
Conditional use
Grading
Construction
Erosion control
The PR campaign
The total cost of the facility to build & operate
Payroll insurance property taxes
advertising & promotions
website

Then you have to book events in that will put butts in the seats.
The gate reciepts will make or break the cashflow.
so will weather cancellations.
Noise restrictions on hours of operation and lawsuits brought on by the NIMBY citizens comittees who bought their new homes right next to an already established operating race facility.
Why would anyone in their right mind want to take it on?

They love the sport!
__________________
Step Away From The KOOL AID !
sprint250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 10:11AM   #20
Polar-Pontiac
Northern Racer
 
Polar-Pontiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Timmins Ont
Posts: 4,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint250 View Post
Lou,
when you sit down and do the math on what it takes to build and operate just an eigth mile track let a lone a 1/4 mi. track the capital expense is huge.
professionally designed plans
environmental impact report
All the permits:
Conditional use
Grading
Construction
Erosion control
The PR campaign
The total cost of the facility to build & operate
Payroll insurance property taxes
advertising & promotions
website





Then you have to book events in that will put butts in the seats.
The gate reciepts will make or break the cashflow.
so will weather cancellations.
Noise restrictions on hours of operation and lawsuits brought on by the NIMBY citizens comittees who bought their new homes right next to an already established operating race facility.
Why would anyone in their right mind want to take it on?

They love the sport!


Our brand new track 1/8 mile IHRA

http://www.kingofthenorthdragway.com/

Just open last weekend still lots to do but better than driving 12hrs

Last edited by Polar-Pontiac : 08-14-13 at 10:31AM.
Polar-Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 11:19PM   #21
sprint250
Moteesuh
 
sprint250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla , California
Posts: 2,678
Default Looks like a good beginning

It almost reminds me of the 1/8 mile track we race on here except we have a certain amount of paved pit space and the climate is more arid.
Ours opened up in 2003 a year before the last 1/4 mile track in San Diego County closed to make way for a business park.It is on the Barona Indian Reservation so the track does not get too much grief from the locals that are against anyone having any kind of fun at all.
It's NHRA Division 7 sanctioned and participates in the Summit Series ET points championship.

Hopefully your track operators can make the money it takes to put the other improvements in,paved pits etc. and keep up with the annual maintenance.
Paved pits will help to keep the amount of sand & small gravel that gets carried on to the track by everyone's slicks to a minimum.
Even when the pits are paved if they do not keep them and the staging lanes swept and sealed all the little gravel that is in deteriorating asphalt will still show up on the track, especially around the water box & starting line.It can get messy at the end of the day.Whenever possible I try and scrub all the crap off my slicks while I'm about 3 or four cars back in the lanes just to keep from carrying it forward into the box.
I can only imagine the engineering hassles building a track that sits frozen for a good part of the year.
Just the engineering to get around problems that could be caused by frost heaves and ice that could potentially destroy the racing surface is a lot of extra $$$$$$$.
Does the concrete go all the way to the 1/8th?

The other 1/8 mile track we have is in the center of urban San Diego in the Stadium parking lot. They run a 4 wide deal there but the et limit is at 6.50 and mufflers are mandatory.
They have noise police there occaisionally.
The pads go out to 80 to 100 feet and the rest is just parking lot asphalt so the grip is not all that good.
Basically just a grudge race tack to keep racers off rhe streets.
They rarely run a bracket race there.

Have Fun
__________________
Step Away From The KOOL AID !
sprint250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 11:34PM   #22
Polar-Pontiac
Northern Racer
 
Polar-Pontiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Timmins Ont
Posts: 4,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint250 View Post
It almost reminds me of the 1/8 mile track we race on here except we have a certain amount of paved pit space and the climate is more arid.
Ours opened up in 2003 a year before the last 1/4 mile track in San Diego County closed to make way for a business park.It is on the Barona Indian Reservation so the track does not get too much grief from the locals that are against anyone having any kind of fun at all.
It's NHRA Division 7 sanctioned and participates in the Summit Series ET points championship.

Hopefully your track operators can make the money it takes to put the other improvements in,paved pits etc. and keep up with the annual maintenance.
Paved pits will help to keep the amount of sand & small gravel that gets carried on to the track by everyone's slicks to a minimum.
Even when the pits are paved if they do not keep them and the staging lanes swept and sealed all the little gravel that is in deteriorating asphalt will still show up on the track, especially around the water box & starting line.It can get messy at the end of the day.Whenever possible I try and scrub all the crap off my slicks while I'm about 3 or four cars back in the lanes just to keep from carrying it forward into the box.
I can only imagine the engineering hassles building a track that sits frozen for a good part of the year.
Just the engineering to get around problems that could be caused by frost heaves and ice that could potentially destroy the racing surface is a lot of extra $$$$$$$.
Does the concrete go all the way to the 1/8th?

The other 1/8 mile track we have is in the center of urban San Diego in the Stadium parking lot. They run a 4 wide deal there but the et limit is at 6.50 and mufflers are mandatory.
They have noise police there occaisionally.
The pads go out to 80 to 100 feet and the rest is just parking lot asphalt so the grip is not all that good.
Basically just a grudge race tack to keep racers off rhe streets.
They rarely run a bracket race there.

Have Fun
It is built on bedrock it"s not moving anytime soon. The 1/8 mile is 400ft of concrete.The pits will be paved this year.
Polar-Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 01:14AM   #23
Gach
Administrator
 
Gach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ....
Posts: 12,537
Default

So glad to see new tracks. The Indians own allot of land here, and one of the biggest Casinos in the world Foxwoods Casino. We tired to get them to build a race track... But no deal.
__________________
The things they hide, the way they spin things, the excuses that they make and the things they omit.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 01:46AM   #24
sprint250
Moteesuh
 
sprint250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla , California
Posts: 2,678
Default

They should have done it if managed right it would be a money maker hosting regional events.
If they had enough shut down space you could run Top Fuel & Funny Car 1/8 mile drags.

Those cars are capable of hitting 270 mph at the 1/8 mile mark. Plenty fast.
We have had nostalgia top fuel cars and funny cars at our track but they race on a 4.80 index because of the shutdown length.
They are well over 145 mph at the finishline.
Track record for a piston car all out pass there is 175 mph.
AA/Fuel Altered car. Those guys are dare devils.

A jet exhibition car holds the overall track speed record here at 203 mph.
I have to imagine he was decelerating when he crossed the stripe cause it is only 1/4 mile to get it stopped. LOL
__________________
Step Away From The KOOL AID !
sprint250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 02:34AM   #25
Gach
Administrator
 
Gach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ....
Posts: 12,537
Default

I did a house for one of the head Honchos of the Casino. I tired to get him to go to one of the National events, so he could see with his own eyes there was big bucks to be made. He was head of Entertainment. They didnt ende up sponsoring one of the locals. It's was a pretty good sponsorship. $25,000.00 part of the sponsorship was he had to put the Race Car on show at the Casino.

People had no clue what that was all about, I spent one night with him answering questions. The funniest thing was when this lady in her 70's heading to bingo stop by and asked if she could drive it around the parking lot.
__________________
The things they hide, the way they spin things, the excuses that they make and the things they omit.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 08:14AM   #26
Polar-Pontiac
Northern Racer
 
Polar-Pontiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Timmins Ont
Posts: 4,028
Default

This is what happens here if you street race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWkVmt9lIB8


Here is film about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9lpckKg-2A
Polar-Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 05:12PM   #27
Gach
Administrator
 
Gach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ....
Posts: 12,537
Default

A lot of it seems reckless. We had 4 different spots we race at. No houses and long stretches. No one ever knew which spot a race was going to be at. We didnt want 50 guys showing up. Most races happen around 12:00- 1:00 am. Watching these guys with a 100 people lining the race track is just plain stupidity. Maybe a few guys at the starting line one or to at the end of the 1/4 just to verify who won. This type of street racing is stupid and out of control.
__________________
The things they hide, the way they spin things, the excuses that they make and the things they omit.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 11:39PM   #28
t-bar
Registered User
 
t-bar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 464
Default

Ratings and rehearsing = $$$$

Just like MOonshiners .. Dumb giving all the secrets away.. But addicting to watch..
t-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 01:44PM   #29
shepherd1
Registered User
 
shepherd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bowling Green, OH
Posts: 333
Default

I don't like the street racing, but crushing the cars are a bit over the top. I agree with big fines and jail time. I can see law suits from the car owners.
__________________
I'm an Injun ,It's a Injun wouldn't ya like to have an Injun too. ( Dr.Pepper song knock OFF).
shepherd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-13, 05:14PM   #30
Polar-Pontiac
Northern Racer
 
Polar-Pontiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Timmins Ont
Posts: 4,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd1 View Post
I don't like the street racing, but crushing the cars are a bit over the top. I agree with big fines and jail time. I can see law suits from the car owners.
No lawsuits in Canada everyone knows the rules break them pay the price it is that simple ..You can try and fight it but you will lose.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zadq9usA2SQ
Polar-Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"New" Street Demon Carb sprint250 Carburetion & Fuel sytems 1 10-14-12 07:42PM
fascism targets DRAG STRIPS in the USA Zedo Grape Vine - General Discussion 9 06-22-12 03:57PM
RAV 480 Street Crate Engine SuperStock455SD Ram Air V Heads 30 08-27-11 08:09PM
FS: 1968 Firebird Pro Street project car, So. Arlington, TX... mar3 Parts & Cars For Sale & Wanted 20 05-13-10 05:06PM
Pontiacs in the Park Street Car Shootout 2007: Pontiac Dude Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip 19 12-11-06 06:48AM


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 07:59PM.

Featured Ads
Ken's Speed & Machine
Mayhem Turbocharging

Carter Cryogenics.  What can we freeze for you?

Pacific Performance Racing

Central Virginia Machine Service.  Home of the Injun Engine!

All Pontiac Engine Kits

Larry's Auto Machine.  Full serivce auto, marine machine shop, domestic and foreign.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2007 PontiacZone.com
Page generated in 0.11555 seconds with 10 queries