User Name
Password

Forced Induction This section for the traditional Pontiac V8

sponser links

Old 01-30-09, 04:35PM   #1
twinturbobird
Duct Tape Engineer

Default DIY Water Methanol Injection Kit Links

Started looking into Water Methanol Injection Kits and Found these Links.

Thought it might be a good sticky.

http://www.turbomirage.com/water-alc...arts-list.html
http://members.cox.net/stevemonroe/AlcoholInjMod.html
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me3.html

Alan.
Old 01-30-09, 09:11PM   #2
70 bird

This is the kit I used on both of my cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/alcoh...QQcmdZViewItem

It used to be $179 last summer. I had to go to the jy and get a coolant tank and a relay [not in kit] I bought the kit installed it on my bird and was very happy with it, a week later I bought another one for my ford.
70 bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 11:23PM   #3
464GP69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
This is the kit I used on both of my cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/alcoh...QQcmdZViewItem

It used to be $179 last summer. I had to go to the jy and get a coolant tank and a relay [not in kit] I bought the kit installed it on my bird and was very happy with it, a week later I bought another one for my ford.
Thanks For the Link!, These add a Good 25-50hp On Most Engines, Mine is Over 11-1 NA and I will use this to Help Keep pistons in it on N20 and WOT runs But yeah Better deal than Snow Perf
464GP69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 07:57AM   #4
DINO
Drag Racer

The Coolingmist kit is a very good kit, I have one of their trunk mount kits in my Grand National. The nice feature with some of their upscale kits is that they are progressive. you can ramp them in which makes the kit way more efficient. If you are boosted it references boost pressure and injects based on engine demands. The varicool option... is the one I have, and you can use a laptop to set the curve, reference from boost, mass air sensor, air temp sensor, tps, or any .05 volt source, or a combination of any of these. Top notch stuff, I know adding it to my GN with a chip burned to run with metenol really woke that little 6 up. The other nice thing, their pumps will support straight meth, no need to add water to it. Makes a huge difference.
DINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 10:53AM   #5
twinturbobird
Duct Tape Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINO View Post
The Coolingmist kit is a very good kit, I have one of their trunk mount kits in my Grand National. The nice feature with some of their upscale kits is that they are progressive. you can ramp them in which makes the kit way more efficient. If you are boosted it references boost pressure and injects based on engine demands. The varicool option... is the one I have, and you can use a laptop to set the curve, reference from boost, mass air sensor, air temp sensor, tps, or any .05 volt source, or a combination of any of these. Top notch stuff, I know adding it to my GN with a chip burned to run with metenol really woke that little 6 up. The other nice thing, their pumps will support straight meth, no need to add water to it. Makes a huge difference.
I always wondered if varying the curve with a meth kit proportional to the fuel curve would be required. Makes sense. Good to know about the Coolingmist Kit.

Thanks!
Old 01-31-09, 12:36PM   #6
DINO
Drag Racer

The meth is not needed at lower boost levels,and it will screw up you A/F ratios. Much easier to control if you have fuel injection, but again not needed in the lower boost range. You can program the unit to come in lets say at 14 lbs boost at 25% and ramp it in to lets say 50% at 20 lbs, and so on. you don't have to have a laptop to set it, it has controls on a dash mounted control box that you can use. But to get the full benifit of the infinatly ajustable controls you need a laptop. My GN has been worked over pretty well, at 20 lbs of boost it is right about 18:1 compression, so detonation is not my friend at the upper boost levels. With this kit I can run 28 lbs of boost on 93 pump gas with no detonation at all, running straight meth in the kit. You would be really surprised if you pulled up next to me on the street and wanted to race, that 3700 lb Buick will hand you your ass real quick with a six banger getting 25 mpg to boot.
Old 01-31-09, 02:12PM   #7
turbo69BIRD

DINO dont forget the chamber in your GN is alot better than that of our pontiacs we will detonate alot sooner than you will.

Mine turns on off a hobbs switch at 5psi
I run a single nozzle from a oil burner at .065 with a check valve installed before it a universal windshild washer pump that makes 35 psi and a 69 firebird washer resevoir.

It has worked fine so far. the carb helped take alot of heat out that fuel injection will not so it will get upgraded with the EFI.

Oh yeah mine cost me about $35.00 total investment.
if you wanted to add more volume run two pumps and nozzles.
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 05:06PM   #8
DINO
Drag Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69BIRD View Post
DINO dont forget the chamber in your GN is alot better than that of our pontiacs we will detonate alot sooner than you will.

Mine turns on off a hobbs switch at 5psi
I run a single nozzle from a oil burner at .065 with a check valve installed before it a universal windshild washer pump that makes 35 psi and a 69 firebird washer resevoir.

It has worked fine so far. the carb helped take alot of heat out that fuel injection will not so it will get upgraded with the EFI.

Oh yeah mine cost me about $35.00 total investment.
if you wanted to add more volume run two pumps and nozzles.
I'm not knockin your setup... I admire that you took the time and effort to build your own system, thats way cool. but the 35 lb deal would make me a little nervouse, you have to overcome the boost pressure with the pump. The more boost you make the less meth-water you inject. The so called store bought kits have a pump that pushes 150 lbs, not that that much pressure is always needed but it is there when needed. These systems controle the pressure by controling pump speed with voltage to the pump. And you could never run straight meth with your setup with out pump failure. Pure meth injection smokes the 50/50 deal by a long shot, if you are running straight meth keep an eye on your pump. The Buick motor is quite finiky, and like the Pontiac it needs more headbolts. But with fuel injection and the availability of reprogrammed chips, better head design, you are correct in you assumption we do not detonate as quick. That is why it is not uncommon to run across a turbo Buick pushing 25 - 30 lbs of boost making crazy amouts of HP and torque outta that little 6 banger. To bad they stopped making them only after 4 years, but these cars are not even classics yet and are bringing stupid money for what they are, (mid 80's muscle).
Old 01-31-09, 05:30PM   #9
DINO
Drag Racer

One other note to add, with the higher pressure pump I run an .015 nozzle, it atomizes the meth alot better and that helps in the coolig effect of the meth, not to mention that the meth is 118 octane. You can buy the pumps seperate and still use your hobbs switch. I think your system would work alot better with a better pump.
Old 01-31-09, 07:08PM   #10
turbo69BIRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINO View Post
I'm not knockin your setup... I admire that you took the time and effort to build your own system, thats way cool. but the 35 lb deal would make me a little nervouse, you have to overcome the boost pressure with the pump. The more boost you make the less meth-water you inject. The so called store bought kits have a pump that pushes 150 lbs, not that that much pressure is always needed but it is there when needed. These systems controle the pressure by controling pump speed with voltage to the pump. And you could never run straight meth with your setup with out pump failure. Pure meth injection smokes the 50/50 deal by a long shot, if you are running straight meth keep an eye on your pump. The Buick motor is quite finiky, and like the Pontiac it needs more headbolts. But with fuel injection and the availability of reprogrammed chips, better head design, you are correct in you assumption we do not detonate as quick. That is why it is not uncommon to run across a turbo Buick pushing 25 - 30 lbs of boost making crazy amouts of HP and torque outta that little 6 banger. To bad they stopped making them only after 4 years, but these cars are not even classics yet and are bringing stupid money for what they are, (mid 80's muscle).
My buddy just sold a 89 turbo t/A at his dealership with 14K on it for 19K. How bad does that suck didnt even tell me about it. Thought they were not worth the money.

Anyway I put this set up together when snow performance was just a thought.LOL

There wasnt much out there and since I only run 11 psi I am safe at 35 psi. It leaves me 24 psi cushion for pressure. Not oefect but with the carb at that boost it works.

I agree with all you have said just giving guys some cheaper options to get started especially in this economy if We want to see some cars hit the tracks Budget is probably the only way its going to happen for most guys.

Post some pics of your GN if you have them. I drove a GNX when they were brand new and loved it.

couldnt afford it so I drove a 89 turbo T/A and wasnt interested. DOH It couldnt spin the tires out of a stop light and I liked to show off. We didnt know anything about building boost or loading the converter in those days.

later maybe 1991 I did some body work and paint on a badass turbo buick that was built and that thing was crazy fast for its time.
Old 02-01-09, 12:22AM   #11
DINO
Drag Racer

70mm tb, acufab plenum, ported intake and heads, forged rods, pistons, crank, four bolt mains with billit caps. Tweeked computer, streched intercooler, TA performace headers, roller cam, Vince Jannis trans, Terry Houston downpipe, TA 49 turbo, coolingmist meth injection, the list goes on. One Bad Ass street ride, good for some mid 10 sec 1/4 passes. This car will light the tires from 60 mph. And it looks totally stock. Ask the kid with the Hop Sing Honda about how I spanked him and his buddy with the Toyota.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0107 (Small).jpg
Views:	181
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	18378   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0108 (Small).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	18379   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0109 (Small).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	18380  
Old 02-01-09, 12:26AM   #12
twinturbobird
Duct Tape Engineer

Nice....or should I say "Not nice on Rice!"
Old 02-01-09, 02:14AM   #13
turbo69BIRD

nice car but nicer cuda in the back Ground!

maybe a turbocharged 426 HEMI?
Old 02-01-09, 08:53AM   #14
DINO
Drag Racer

That Cuda is awsome, non restored 23,000 mile car, 340 4 speed.
Old 02-01-09, 09:02PM   #15
turbo69BIRD

whos car is it?

My budy had a 340 4 spd challenger What a nice car that was had a 8 3/4 rear and a hemi box in it. we had ablast in that car.