PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 03-01-07, 08:54AM   #1
Corey

Default quarter skins?

I need to replace the quarters on my 67 firebird. althouth rust is on the lower half of the quarter panels and wheel wells should i go for a full quarter panel or the lower quarter skins. I hav never done this before. ive done alot of bondo and glass work. But never on anything this ate up with rust.
Old 03-01-07, 11:00AM   #2
Poncho1961

All dependes on what your looking for in the end result. Skins will do nothing for the door jam area, poor fit at tailight area also, need lots of putty to blend at the top. Full quarters are naturally more expensive but replace everything seen. Of course their installation is no picnic either. Skin fit also depends on source as some are better than others but none fit real well. Quarters are available as reproductions so I wouldn't expect a factory like fit from them either.
Old 03-01-07, 05:26PM   #3
Corey

I want to do it right. This cars a project and a half and I want it done right. But I want the experience of doing it my self. If i feel Im getting in over my head i will use a body shop but until then id like to try it myself. I have welders and am experienced in paint and minor body repair.
i am however having troubles finding the parts.
Old 03-01-07, 06:10PM   #4
Poncho1961

Various sources. Made by Goodmark and sold through dealers. These repro full quarters are ALWAYS on evilbay. full quarter goes for 299.00 to 375.00 plus or minus, depending on who you buy from. Prices don't include shipping. Punch in key words "firebird quarter" and you'll find them. I think some body shop supply houses are authorized to buy so you may check locally to have them ordered for you.

In case you didn't know, the 67 differs from the 68 as the 68 version has the cutouts for the arrow head side marker lights. Full quarters would defineately use less bondo but cost 3 times the price of the skin. I did skins back in the early 80s on a 68 when full quarters were not available for a bird yet. To top it off, I had to buy skins for a crapmaro and section in the louvered area from my existing quarters. I will probably hurt my arm here patting myself on the back but it came out looking damned good, and it was my first attempt at major body work too. Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 03-02-07, 02:12PM   #5
Corey

I ordered the full quartes this morning. Theyve got the louvers pre stamped in them. Hopefully by the time they get here we'll be over this winter storm thats smackin the midwest.
Old 03-02-07, 05:50PM   #6
Poncho1961

Yeah the new quarters and even the skins are now made for the bird with louvers already taken care of. I know for awhile, some of the skins had the wrong size louver slots in half of the 6 stamped. I did mine in 83 or 84 when camaro skins were all you could get. Who did you end up ordering from and how much did they tag ya for shipping if you don't mind my asking?
Old 03-02-07, 08:17PM   #7
Corey

I ordered from genes off of fleabay. 750.00 with free shipping. I figure the shipping would have been 125 easy so I went ahead and payed that much. I emailed the guy and probablly bugged the heck outta him but I wanted to make sure they were as close to the originals as i could get. They are made by goodmark. I checked alotta other places too and the average price was around 400 each plus shipping. Next Ill be hunting for the front fenders and a trunk pan.
Old 03-05-07, 12:12AM   #8
Poncho1961

trunk pans available from various sources also and usually in three pieces so if your whole pan isn't toast you can replace just part of it. Ask for some free firebird catalogs from the Paddock in Indiana, Ames out east, check out the Performance years website, Year One and Classic Industries and of course the ebay offerings. Paddock and Ames offer the free catalog which helps with choosing all the other little items you'll need. Lots of sources but parts all made by one or two sources so quality is pretty comparable from any of the suppliers.
Old 03-05-07, 07:05AM   #9
Corey

Thanks