Engine Tech
> " TURBO BUILDS "
User Name
Password

" TURBO BUILDS " Post your Turbo build-Up or any that you have in process

sponser links

Old 10-11-16, 02:54PM   #16
turbo69BIRD

When I CC'd mine they were huge like 122 or something ridiculous.
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 07:55PM   #17
Macho78

Here is a calculator for what you are looking for. http://www.wallaceracing.com/cr_test2.php
78 Macho T/A #123 11.78@115.5 on motor 10.66@127.9 w/190 shot.
Macho78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-16, 06:42PM   #18
sevindeess

Boost isn't the correct number to measure from my experience. Boost is effectively the measurement of back pressure before the intake valve. Incoming air temps and EGTs you need to be watching... a long with checking plugs. A ported aluminum head with a shity cam may create 10 psi vs a stock iron head with a decent cam may make 5 psi (theoretical keeping all else the same)and hell of a lot more power, lower IAT's and EGTs. It's about cubic volume through the motor not psi.

Also the notion that you need low compression is just false. The 80's are over and we have EFI and widebands. Low compression will leave you playing the game the NA guys play.. making sure all the components are perfectly matched. EFI, turbo and controling timing (basically a good tune) will make power. The turbo doesn't care. The goal is peak cylinder pressure 12-14 after TDC (on all engines). The turbo just helps you get there without the need of a perfect combo.

The key to a turbo build is the converter. The motor parts are really irrelevant for most street cars. Because some guy on internet can run 10 psi doesn't mean you can. You may only be able to run 5...or it may be happy at 12? It may frighten you 5! My 400 is retarded at 3-4 psi. But im running a good head, 10:1 with .500 lift bracket master cam and 1.65's. 1200 cfm throttle body, huge 4" intercooler, 7875 .96 AR T4 turbo, Megasquirt EFI with a HEI ignition.
sevindeess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-16, 06:44PM   #19
sevindeess

And Mark nailed it BTW. Read his post 100 times LOL
Old 10-31-16, 10:40AM   #20
turbo69BIRD

I'd just say that compression is still a factor your not going to see guys running iron heads with 12 to 1 compression with boost on pump gas. There's a reason for that. Could you do it, probably but you'd be pulling a ton of timing and running very low boost defeating the purpose. There's only so much you can tune out of a bad set up.

It's got to somewhat be set up for a turbo IMO, a N/A cam will in some cases work but a N/A full race cam most likely will not, as it will have too much over lap. So while compression is more easily tuned out these days I wouldn't say it's not a factor at all.

Casein point my buddy has a very strong 900+ hp NHRA high compression class engine, if he bolted hairdryers on as it sits the thing would be in pieces in a week. Or it would t make much more power as the tune would be so detrimetal to the combo it would suffer just to make it live.
Old 10-31-16, 09:54PM   #21
sevindeess

I agree but there is no doubt you can build $10k low compression, custom piston, aluminum head, trick cam (and a bunch of research) to make zillions of hp. But for most people, stock parts with a little boost is enough to scare the hell out of ya.

Its my opinion that if you have a $10k budget..put $5k in the transmission and converter and the rest in the the motor,efi, and turbo (or nitrous). Cubic inch plays a role too as you all know. A 10:1 455 is about at the threshold with no power adder. I've never built a turbo 455 but it sounds like an expensive endeavor.

We have good parts in my buddies 428 (heads, roller cam, h beam rods blah blah) . I run cheap parts with a little boost. Both are fun, mines a pile of shit but I have way less money in it and I still make more power. It takes discipline to run a turbo. It takes brains to build a NA motor.
Old 11-01-16, 11:32AM   #22
turbo69BIRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevindeess View Post
I agree but there is no doubt you can build $10k low compression, custom piston, aluminum head, trick cam (and a bunch of research) to make zillions of hp. But for most people, stock parts with a little boost is enough to scare the hell out of ya.

Its my opinion that if you have a $10k budget..put $5k in the transmission and converter and the rest in the the motor,efi, and turbo (or nitrous). Cubic inch plays a role too as you all know. A 10:1 455 is about at the threshold with no power adder. I've never built a turbo 455 but it sounds like an expensive endeavor.

We have good parts in my buddies 428 (heads, roller cam, h beam rods blah blah) . I run cheap parts with a little boost. Both are fun, mines a pile of shit but I have way less money in it and I still make more power. It takes discipline to run a turbo. It takes brains to build a NA motor.

I could t agree more, I'm a low budget, factory parts guy for sure.

1000 hp is doable with iron d port heads, 2 bolt block, cast crank, (good rods though) and a good tune.

I just didn't want to give anyone the idea that the compression number was infinite, because there's definitely a point of diminishing returns there.

Typically the lower the compression the more boost you'll be able to utilize , but of course too low and the combo will suffer as well.

Most street guys want less bottom end though for traction and low compression can help in this respect. Breaks less parts , cools easier in traffic that way too.

My car gets hot under boost but as soon as I back out of it it cools right down due to its low compression.

Recently turned it up to 17psi what a ride that was....
Old 11-01-16, 12:20PM   #23
turbo louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69BIRD View Post
I could t agree more, I'm a low budget, factory parts guy for sure.

1000 hp is doable with iron d port heads, 2 bolt block, cast crank, (good rods though) and a good tune.

I just didn't want to give anyone the idea that the compression number was infinite, because there's definitely a point of diminishing returns there.

Typically the lower the compression the more boost you'll be able to utilize , but of course too low and the combo will suffer as well.

Most street guys want less bottom end though for traction and low compression can help in this respect. Breaks less parts , cools easier in traffic that way too.

My car gets hot under boost but as soon as I back out of it it cools right down due to its low compression.

Recently turned it up to 17psi what a ride that was....
When am I getting a ride!!
Old 11-01-16, 06:12PM   #24
turbo69BIRD

When ever your willing to work your way down to these parts.

I still need to sort out some too end issues, but it's fun on the street.
Old 11-01-16, 11:39PM   #25
JSPONT

I am coming for you this spring. Lebanon Valley if you want, otherwise me and Charlie are coming over to mark up your neighborhood streets. We will annoy those stuffy azzholes you live near!
JSPONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 02:21AM   #26
marks73ta

How about a little road trip to Arizona?? All three of you would be very welcome to come see me. Any time!!!! LOL.
Old 11-02-16, 07:51AM   #27
turbo louie

When I come the knob will be set to 50. So that 17 is going to be a little irrelevant. Haha! I get the winner!
Old 11-02-16, 07:54AM   #28
turbo louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
How about a little road trip to Arizona?? All three of you would be very welcome to come see me. Any time!!!! LOL.
Sounds like a lot of fun Mark. But then when you get that Catalina done are you coming here
Old 11-02-16, 07:30PM   #29
turbo69BIRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
I am coming for you this spring. Lebanon Valley if you want, otherwise me and Charlie are coming over to mark up your neighborhood streets. We will annoy those stuffy azzholes you live near!
I think we should do both, LVD via my area. Probably wouldn't be any longer than going straightt there.
Old 11-02-16, 08:12PM   #30
turbo louie

I guess Palazzo is ignoring me!