Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 05-05-18, 05:19PM   #16
Mr.Pontiac

Both checking springs are on, going out for a couple hrs. Ill be checking piston and valve clearance very shortly
Mr.Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 08:27PM   #17
Gach
Administrator

Point I was trying to make the old cam was never degree in, so who knows were it was at. You can see how easily it can be off. Did you use the new timing gear set with the multiple degrees of advance and retard. Rather then the old one which only had 4 degee advance or retard.

Sorry Rich but I’m not having faith, the last we talked about 3 weeks ago, you were suppose to get the better timing gear set with multiple degrees and a set of checking springs. I’m not having faith that it was done correctly..

You said not much difference in valve lift, The Who point of the new cam is 10 degrees more duration on the intake and exhaust, and yes it does have more lift, just about the lint you can go.

Every buddy busy, but everyone got time for a 10 minute phone call for a up date. I’m not mad, just makes me wonder how all of a sudden you figured it out when you were so confused. Just like to hear your story.
Old 05-05-18, 08:53PM   #18
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas flaherty View Post
With the valley cover and intake on look like he not going to check push rod length. I asked a question about piston to valve clearance I know the common way with clay on top of the piston install head rotate engine remove head and measure. How do you do it with the heads on ???? I think I no a way but like to hear your ways
It can be done with clay, but itís allot easier to check it with a dail Indicator on the retainer. With set of checking springs. You can kill to birds with one stone and check proper rocker arm geometry which gives you push rod length also.
Doubt he has adjustable push rod.

Yes easier with intake off but can be done with intake on.
Old 05-06-18, 12:19AM   #19
Mr.Pontiac

yes installed new 8 point timing gear set. Really don,t like the Comp. Cams checking springs, fill they are way to stiff. Ill be looking for something better.I have about 1 1/2 hr.s to spend on motor tomarrow. post results. everything coming along great so far. By the way i have a adj. push rod.
Mr.Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 12:25AM   #20
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pontiac View Post
yes installed new 8 point timing gear set. Really don,t like the Comp. Cams checking springs, fill they are way to stiff. Ill be looking for something better.I have about 1 1/2 hr.s to spend on motor tomarrow. post results. everything coming along great so far. By the way i have a adj. push rod.
Great !
Old 05-06-18, 09:02AM   #21
thomas flaherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
It can be done with clay, but it’s allot easier to check it with a dail Indicator on the retainer. With set of checking springs. You can kill to birds with one stone and check proper rocker arm geometry which gives you push rod length also.
Doubt he has adjustable push rod.

Yes easier with intake off but can be done with intake on.
If rocker arm geometry is off from the get go how do you correct it with a dial indicator or find the proper pushrod length
thomas flaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 10:30AM   #22
Gach
Administrator

Naturally you check that first ! Then piston to valve. LOL
Old 05-06-18, 10:46AM   #23
thomas flaherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Naturally you check that first ! Then piston to valve. LOL
That donít help me. Iím trying to learn something new. Can you explain. Thanks
thomas flaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 05:44PM   #24
Gach
Administrator

The quick Course: simple version. With checking springs and dail indicator ( of course once you established correct push rod length) dail indicator set up on the retainer both valves adjusted. Crank motor over. ( of crouse with degee wheel still attached)
Pushing down on the rocker arm ( not the retainer) while reading dial indicator.

Youíll find piston to valve the tightest 10 degrees before TDC on exhaust. ( the piston is chasing exhaust valve. Tightest on the intake 10 degrees after TDC.

Google it plenty of howís to.