PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Low Compression Street Engine's & Tuning Techniques
User Name
Password

Low Compression Street Engine's & Tuning Techniques Idea's...How Too's on low compression Engines.

sponser links

Old 10-23-13, 09:33PM   #16
ken c

Here is a test we did a couple of weeks ago. we had a aluminum block pump gas motor on dyno. we peaked out the timing I think it ended up like 31 degrees for peak H.P. the gentleman that we built the motor for wanted to try higher test gas. He had some 116 octane as he was going to run NOS injection on it. We put the 116 in fuel cell with out changing any thing else and got almost the same hp. Then we gave it 2 more degrees of timing and reran dyno, it made almost 10 more hp. that proves that higher octane burns slower. then we retarded timing aprox. 10 degrees and ran it with a shot on nos and it made 930 HP. and a bunch of torque. Not bad for a 510 CI. pump gas motor. Customer was extremely satisfied . We told customer that he would not be able to run street car with that kind of power on the street. It made almost 700 hp. on just the motor but he didn't care he had the bragging rights.
Ken Criss
ken c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 09:55PM   #17
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken c View Post
Here is a test we did a couple of weeks ago. we had a aluminum block pump gas motor on dyno. we peaked out the timing I think it ended up like 31 degrees for peak H.P. the gentleman that we built the motor for wanted to try higher test gas. He had some 116 octane as he was going to run NOS injection on it. We put the 116 in fuel cell with out changing any thing else and got almost the same hp. Then we gave it 2 more degrees of timing and reran dyno, it made almost 10 more hp. that proves that higher octane burns slower. then we retarded timing aprox. 10 degrees and ran it with a shot on nos and it made 930 HP. and a bunch of torque. Not bad for a 510 CI. pump gas motor. Customer was extremely satisfied . We told customer that he would not be able to run street car with that kind of power on the street. It made almost 700 hp. on just the motor but he didn't care he had the bragging rights.
Ken Criss
Thats a good comparison good info
Old 07-22-15, 02:23PM   #18
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Wink

I have been building high HP pump gas engines for over 15 years.

I had a 535 with 340 cfm heads, q-jet and tried a 230's hyd roller. pinged itself loud. It was a 10.5-1 aluminum headed engine. 220 lbs of compression. Went to a 240 duration @.050 with a 110 cl and compression gauge went to 165 and runs like a scalded dog. Idles great. Also found with a lot of combo's that you can raise the total timing with 9-1 and such.
Run 40/42 total in my 535 with a 280's cam and 700 lift, 110 CL.

Car runs slower with higher octane low compression has a lot to do with re-jetting to get the HP back. But found that you give the engine what it likes or wants. Octane has a lot to do with cranking compression too.
Pontiac Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-15, 04:29PM   #19
Gach
Administrator

Makes perfect sense Ken, when Dyno we had it on kill, jetting wise, but for the street had to back off the jetting and change out the air bleeds in the crab. Or else it would wipe out the plugs. Plugs also made a difference, did like you said and throw the Auto Lite in garbage and went to NGK, no more plug problem.
Old 07-22-15, 04:56PM   #20
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Makes perfect sense Ken, when Dyno we had it on kill, jetting wise, but for the street had to back off the jetting and change out the air bleeds in the crab. Or else it would wipe out the plugs. Plugs also made a difference, did like you said and throw the Auto Lite in garbage and went to NGK, no more plug problem.

On Nooooooooooooo there's that .................. crab ........... again. Flashback to the early 2000's LOL.

Spell check ain't gonna catch that dawg. Ya gotta re-read.
Old 07-22-15, 06:45PM   #21
Gach
Administrator

Thought you'd get a kick out that...LOL.
Old 07-24-15, 07:29PM   #22
Zedo
prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post

NGK are Jap plugs. they go in the garbage too, after one day at the track. the local shops here have 55 gallon drums full of them, to scrap every month. they come in on race motors getting freshened.
seems like no one makes a good plug that lasts anymore.
Zedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 08:46PM   #23
Gach
Administrator

For me who's always been and Auto Lite guy, the NGK is a better plug. Forget about Champion pligs. They used to be a good plug. I think the reaso NGK works better because it has a better heat range. Then the Auto Lite.
Old 07-24-15, 10:13PM   #24
Zedo
prodigal son

I just bought 300+ vintage Champion racing plugs from a closed speed shop in Detroit. all vintage 50's 60's stuff. I'm going to post a thread showing all the different types. the shop owner ran a blown injected gasser drag car with straight axle front end. he died and his kid inherited the contents of the speed shop, the kid doesn't know his wrench sizes. the old Champion "T" suffix plugs had gold electrodes. I have a few sets. also the "g" suffix racing plugs.

also got a few sets of the hottest range Autolites and Bosch plugs.

you should see the vintage Bosch german made plugs for Pontiacs. they are a work of art. they are chromed in some places like a bumper. I don't even want to put them in an engine. they belong in a museum.

Autolite and NGK plugs today, are shit plugs.
Zedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 11:36PM   #25
gtofreek
Engine Machinist

We've had great luck with both Autolite, and NGK plugs. We use mostly NGK now, and never have a problem with them. Champions, on the other hand, I wouldn't sell to my worse enemy! They suck big time! I once bought a set of eight, and 3 were bad right out of the box. Never wasting my money or time on Champions again. Also, I have cryo treated a lot of spark plugs of all different brands, and Champion is the only ones that break the steel crimp around the porcelain. Every single Champion plug has broke there. No other plug has ever broken on me from Cryo treating.
520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
520-294-5758

I was wrong once. That was when I THOUGHT I made a mistake!
Your mind determines your limits!
gtofreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 09:00AM   #26
keith
Stubborn old goat

Who makes Accel yellow jackets? Are they still available? Paul what does cryo do for a plug do you know exactly?
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 10:29AM   #27
keith
Stubborn old goat

See Summit has Accel C-groove and u-groove still. I have 2 old sets that are regular electrode. There is probably nothing wrong with them. Do plugs age and become less operable if not being used? (Decades) they look nice and I never noticed a negative performance issue, I just like to say " yellow jackets " too , ... kinda like I like to say Hookies and Purple Hornies .
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 11:15AM   #28
gtofreek
Engine Machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Who makes Accel yellow jackets? Are they still available? Paul what does cryo do for a plug do you know exactly?
Cryo makes the electrodes more conductive, and also helps with heat dissipation. It also makes the electrode tougher so it doesn't erode away as fast. People I have cryoed spark plugs for have came back and told me they can feel a difference in how they run. Start quicker and easier. On a Harley M/C I did them for, he told me that it feels like it makes more power.

We put 4 cryoed plugs on one bank in my work partners boat, and 4 non-cryoed plugs in the other bank. Later, when we looked at them, the cryoed plugs had considerably less electrode erosion than the non-cryoed plugs.

Champion plugs break when cryoing them. No other plug has ever broken on me, but every Champion plug I have cryoed, has broke the steel crimp around the porcelain.
520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
520-294-5758

I was wrong once. That was when I THOUGHT I made a mistake!
Your mind determines your limits!
gtofreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 11:11AM   #29
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
We've had great luck with both Autolite, and NGK plugs. We use mostly NGK now, and never have a problem with them. Champions, on the other hand, I wouldn't sell to my worse enemy! They suck big time! I once bought a set of eight, and 3 were bad right out of the box. Never wasting my money or time on Champions again. Also, I have cryo treated a lot of spark plugs of all different brands, and Champion is the only ones that break the steel crimp around the porcelain. Every single Champion plug has broke there. No other plug has ever broken on me from Cryo treating.
Having run NGK's since the early 80's in all sorts of engines in all forms of motor racing. The only plug I will run.

From short track circle track to heavy nitrous competition heads up.
Old 08-04-16, 01:00AM   #30
sprint250
Moteesuh

"Who makes Accel yellow jackets? Are they still available?

Last time I checked they are made by DENSO for ACCEL.
And yes they are still available

https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/spark_plugs/

Accel is now part of the Holley/MSD performance group.

Usually the ACCEL plugs will have DENSO stamped into the metal base.
DENSO plugs also come with the same "U Groove" electrode that Accel touts.
The local speed shops here used to sell DENSO plugs because they were the same thing without the trick yellow colored insulator.