PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 09-03-18, 09:43AM   #1
Zedo
prodigal son

Default farewell goodbye to my RA V Firebird

My RA V 455 Firebird sold for $11k and picked up Saturday here with trailer. it went to a diehard Pontiac F-body collector and fan, and is being transported to Texas this week. It was hard to let go, but common sense prevailed, as the floor pan and rear frame rails need replacement. So it was time to fish or cut bait. overcoming the many oddball quirks and traits of the RA V heads gave a great sense of accomplishment. I'll miss it, and I still have my GTO thanks Lou Gach and PZ for letting me list it here. hopefully my old RA V 455 Firebird will resurface at Norwalk or elsewhere to show its teeth, with a guy who has way more time/funds to groom it to full potential. He was already talking a complete new floor pan from firewall to body end panel, they are $3000, plus the labor to install. well that's what it really needs to be a nice car, and not a rat rod. it also needs all new brake lines and gas lines, to be reliable. I did one final hole shot with it when I drove it on their trailer. this car has been in our family since early 1980's, we've had it 35+ years. The thrill of tromping down on an all GM Pontiac 470 CID big journal motor, with tunnel port heads and ram intake, is something I'll never forget.
the car has been repainted 4 times, and had 5 motors in it, and rear axle replaced. it had quarter panels replaced, twice. 3 different front rubber noses. interior reupholstered back in the day. what a history, a real battlewagon of a car. my brother used to call it the Road Warrior.

adios old girl, you've been great ! happy trails ! salute and hats off to Pontiac engineering !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fABkQV1_5D8

Last edited by Zedo : 09-03-18 at 09:59AM.
Zedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 10:21AM   #2
JSPONT

Glad it sold, there was some talk on FB and PY, a lot of guys thought it was BS. I told them it was not an you have been around a long time on PZ.
Sometimes it suks to have to let something you like go, but it makes sense. I have sold cars I loved to support my family, as long as you have another it's okay!
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 02:05PM   #3
Zedo
prodigal son

yeh I heard about the naysayers on Facebook, etc. who are still wet behind the ears, dissing the engine and car....what are those, fake RA V heads on the car ? my only regret is I didn't clean it up, pressure wash it, vacuum the interior, etc. I should have and stuck at the $15k price, I'd probably have gotten it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03229.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	29428  
Old 09-03-18, 02:18PM   #4
JSPONT

They just thought it was a scam, I told them it was real. Great price because the heads were like hens teeth!
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 02:19PM   #5
Zedo
prodigal son

I had started to fix the interior, painted the dash pad, and installed a nicer woodgrain gauge surround from a '73 parts car I had years ago. it needed inner door skins, rocker sill moldings, and the upper back seats reupholstered, otherwise the interior was presentable when cleaned up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03295.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	29429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03294.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	29430  
Old 09-03-18, 02:25PM   #6
Zedo
prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
They just thought it was a scam, I told them it was real. Great price because the heads were like hens teeth!
true, back when I was gathering parts, Wade Congdon from BOP told me, he estimated they made approx. 80 RA V 400 complete engines, and maybe 200 spare sets of heads, give or take. I'd say that's a pretty good estimate. and how many pairs of heads were blown up, or ruined from grinding through. one guy from down south called about the car, he had 2 pairs of heads that both leaked water, cuz they were ported too much.

my reply was, why the heck would anyone port intakes on RA V heads ? they are already way too big...

I heard there's a set that goes back and forth from Nunzi to Pickett and back to Nunzi for $6000, with the understanding they would only be sold between them. in that respect this buyer got a smokin' deal. He paid $6k for the heads, and $5k for a solid 4 bolt main bottom end, with forged rods/pistons, 80 lb. oil pump, .060" over, completely machined- a $600 converter, a $600 tunnel ram with 2 tops, etc. - add it up.

Firebirds in that condition hit $5000 on Ebay often. it's still a restorable car at this point. this buyer basically got the body shell for free.

but I would not want to be the one, to fix the rear quarters, rockers, floors, trunk, rear frame rails in....big money anymore to do that, unless you do it all yourself- then the issue is, the time involved. I know quite a few guys with $60K in restorations, and when they are done the car is only worth $40k.
Old 09-03-18, 03:58PM   #7
Gach
Administrator

A lot of good memories with that car, not easy to let it go, but perfectly understandable why let it sit.
Old 09-03-18, 04:14PM   #8
Zedo
prodigal son

well thanks Lou. you must have thought the same when you sold your 70 GTO Judge recently, and if memory serves didn't you buy that new off the showroom back in 1970 ? that must have been hard to let go of too. did you snap any pics of it before it went ?
let's face it, we can't keep them forever, the best we can do is find a good home for them and get some money.
Old 09-03-18, 05:06PM   #9
Gach
Administrator

Itís never easy letting go, but there comes a time in life when you realize you just canít do the things you use too.
Old 09-09-18, 01:21PM   #10
sprint250
Moteesuh

I went to a good home.
If the guy has a TA (any Pontiac F car or other Pontiac model) in reasonably good shape that just needs an engine ......... well you know.
The hulk could be for another project.
The Pontiac F-body cars are still very competitive in NHRA stock classes and in Super Gas.