PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 08-27-18, 06:10PM   #1
Gach
Administrator

Default Dragncar

I see you asking about real main seal. Are used a graphite rope seal never had a issue.

But hereís a little information for you, BOP was first to offer the two piece seal. Then Tin Indian Performance offer a nock off of BOP 2 piece seal. Not same quality.

A number of issues with both seals. Some of the after market crankshafts ( unlike )were as stock cast cranks had serrated area were seal goes. Thatís caused issues with the 2 piece seals the aftermarket cranks donít have serrated area ( their perfectly smooth) like a polished Crank.

The 2 piece work great on aftermarket cranks, because of it. There was all kinds of issues like the seal being installed backwards.

I think the BOP ones now have a double lip.

Other issues rear main caps and blocks not machined properly. I would have that block checked to make sure it is. Also have remained cap dolled.
Old 08-28-18, 10:51AM   #2
turbo louie

Its good the bolt the cap an BOP seal down with out the crank installed to make sure its not out of round..
Old 08-28-18, 08:01PM   #3
Dragncar

Thanks Gach. I am trying to get my ducks in a row. But the more I think about it the more I realize getting it all done by spring will be tough for the big engine.
The tranny needs upgraded to stand up to the big power jump and I have to think about how I will mount the engine. Mid plate at least, maybe both.
I could run my splayed billet cap 462 I have sitting in the garage next year then save it for the Trans Am. It will give me some more time, run the 540 year after.
Getting it ready should not be so hard. Already balanced a fit caps. Just needs bored and decked.
I bought a original BOP seal by never made it back from Dan. Seal wise I might be better off with the new double lip. This block Dan made new oversized dowels for all the caps. Guy knew what he was doing.
Cast crank but if I run my HOs the RPMs will be kept down. I have a new Crower cam and cam and lifters just sitting here. No one wants to give me what it is worth, might as well run it.
Bet I could get the fresh engine down to 10.60 or better. I don't know of any pump gas 9.3 CR Pontiacs running faster than that at 3600lbs, save for some science d out Super Stockers.
Expensive hobby we have.
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-18, 08:08PM   #4
turbo louie

Dont skimp on the tranny... Not saying you will . Its just after spending a bunch of cash on a engine alot of people tend to do so... Are you going to build that as well ?
Old 08-28-18, 08:58PM   #5
sprint250
Moteesuh

PUT THE BEEF IN THE DRIVE TRAIN ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE WHEEL STUDS AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO WORRY. IT WILL STAND UP TO THE PUNISHMENT YOU WILL THROW AT IT.
RULE #1- if it breaks: make it stronger.
Rule #2 - if it does not break : make it lighter
Old 08-28-18, 11:21PM   #6
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo louie View Post
Dont skimp on the tranny... Not saying you will . Its just after spending a bunch of cash on a engine alot of people tend to do so... Are you going to build that as well ?
Yes I am. I will go with a aftermarket input shaft witg iron drum, super sprag and steel direct and maybe the intermediate shaft too.
Its why I might put the 462 in for next year. lots of cash to do it right.
Old 08-28-18, 11:23PM   #7
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint250 View Post
PUT THE BEEF IN THE DRIVE TRAIN ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE WHEEL STUDS AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO WORRY. IT WILL STAND UP TO THE PUNISHMENT YOU WILL THROW AT IT.
RULE #1- if it breaks: make it stronger.
Rule #2 - if it does not break : make it lighter
As it is right now the tranny is the weak link. I will build it too. The rear is a 9" with 40 spline gun drilled. star flanged Moser axles. Moser aluminum case with the big pro gears and all the rest. Full back brace , 4.10 gears. All hung on Alston 32" fully adjustable ladder bars. 1350 U joints.
Old 08-28-18, 11:41PM   #8
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Thanks Gach. I am trying to get my ducks in a row. But the more I think about it the more I realize getting it all done by spring will be tough for the big engine.
The tranny needs upgraded to stand up to the big power jump and I have to think about how I will mount the engine. Mid plate at least, maybe both.
I could run my splayed billet cap 462 I have sitting in the garage next year then save it for the Trans Am. It will give me some more time, run the 540 year after.
Getting it ready should not be so hard. Already balanced a fit caps. Just needs bored and decked.
I bought a original BOP seal by never made it back from Dan. Seal wise I might be better off with the new double lip. This block Dan made new oversized dowels for all the caps. Guy knew what he was doing.
Cast crank but if I run my HOs the RPMs will be kept down. I have a new Crower cam and cam and lifters just sitting here. No one wants to give me what it is worth, might as well run it.
Bet I could get the fresh engine down to 10.60 or better. I don't know of any pump gas 9.3 CR Pontiacs running faster than that at 3600lbs, save for some science d out Super Stockers.
Expensive hobby we have.
I know exactly were your coming from, itís not cheap to build big hp motor. Itís allot of money to dish out, but then thereís the wait to get the rest of the parts. Then the wait to get it done, my block sat at machine shop for two months waiting to get done. Finally I walk in with a pice of chalk Drew a line around it and walked out. Think they got the message, it was done two weeks later. But they couldnít doll the mains. So off to another machine shop 2 hours away. Oh glad you mention it, definitely run a mid and front plate.
Old 08-29-18, 01:32AM   #9
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
I know exactly were your coming from, it’s not cheap to build big hp motor. It’s allot of money to dish out, but then there’s the wait to get the rest of the parts. Then the wait to get it done, my block sat at machine shop for two months waiting to get done. Finally I walk in with a pice of chalk Drew a line around it and walked out. Think they got the message, it was done two weeks later. But they couldn’t doll the mains. So off to another machine shop 2 hours away. Oh glad you mention it, definitely run a mid and front plate.
John still has to do the intake. I don't want to be in a position where I can not race next year. I can't keep running my 455 (1990 engine)
I have this short block sitting here, all the parts, car does not need anything to run it. Run it.
I just have a feeling I will be waiting or pressed for time to get it done before first race.
Between selling my High Ports and my short block I would rather sell the heads. I can always just buy a set of High Ports. Try buying a std bore 400 block with properly done splayed billet caps. Not easy these days.
Kinda wish is was not hard blocked though. Since in the end it will be a street engine in the TA. But people run them. Its not hot around here so it should be fine.
But the big engine, only major part I don't have is the cam. I want to make my own oil pan and that will take time, trail fits and all that.
I have a 7 qt Canton, oil pump and billet shaft I can use on the 462.
Old 08-29-18, 01:36AM   #10
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
As it is right now the tranny is the weak link. I will build it too. The rear is a 9" with 40 spline gun drilled. star flanged Moser axles. Moser aluminum case with the big pro gears and all the rest. Full back brace , 4.10 gears. All hung on Alston 32" fully adjustable ladder bars. 1350 U joints.
Forgot, 5/8ths studs too. The rear is all the big stuff.
Old 08-29-18, 02:04AM   #11
sprint250
Moteesuh

Good deal . It'll take the abuse yer gonna throw at it. Once you get it all sorted out its gonna be a fun ride.
Old 08-29-18, 09:32PM   #12
Gach
Administrator

250 hp more then heís making now, oh yeah itíll be allot of fun ! 4-link time. lol