PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Suspension - Brakes - Tires
User Name
Password

Suspension - Brakes - Tires OEM to all out Performance - Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires

sponser links

Old 01-18-05, 04:24PM   #1
1977transam

Default torque arm

Has any of Ya'll thought about putting a torque arm rear suspension your second gen F-body?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	405_big.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	3084   Click image for larger version

Name:	405_install_7.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	3085  

Last edited by 1977transam : 01-18-05 at 04:30PM.
Old 01-18-05, 04:31PM   #2
1977transam

or maybe even a f**d design Torque arm

Old 01-18-05, 06:11PM   #3
A. X.

That looks interesting. Like the 3rd gens have. What's the benefits? Better traction, less wheel hop, more chicks, less rear end and spring twist? Hmmmm!
Old 01-18-05, 10:17PM   #4
1977transam

advantage.....

easy adjustment of pinion angle.
not having to remove or modify rear floor boards.
no axle wrap
lots of torque transfer
can actually acheave anti squat set up.
Old 01-19-05, 01:10AM   #5
A. X.

What about more chicks?
Old 01-19-05, 02:37AM   #6
Gach
Administrator

The torque arms really do work good, when your under acceleration
WOT, ( hole shot- what ever, you get the picture )the pinion wants
to rotate up, and the passenger side tire wants to left off the ground,
what the torque arm does, is keeps that from happening, and helps
plant that passenger tire, for much better traction. One of the well
know racers ran a 87-89 Firebrid with one, an on a street tire
he was able to run low 9 second ET's- pretty amazing. Now whether
or not it's worth the bucks for a street car is nother question, I'd say
if your plaining on making 500 H.P. then it would be worth spending
the money.
Old 01-19-05, 06:04AM   #7
ta455
MASTER JIM

thanks gach now i have to look into this

ta455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 09:37AM   #8
1977transam

Gach To back up your numbers a friend of mine has an 83 camaro with stock design suspension (torque arm). He has Spohn components under his car. Last year he went 9.38 @ 146 on drag radials. He did a few things to the car already this year. Should be in the high eights. the way this car hooks and launch's is un real that is what has me interested in this suspension set up.

the expense=

rear axle to with torque arm set up = 2000
adjustable spohn torque arm = 400
double adjustable lower control arm = 250
lower control arm drop brackets for anti squate = 85
double adjustable pan hard bar = 200
anti sway bar = 370
coil over shock of choice = qa1 = 400
s&w direct fit rear frame rails for coil overs = 190
custom front connection point of torque arm = 50
custom front connection point of lower control arms = 50
total rear suspension = 3995

this is bumping everything up. yeah it is expensive but if you take out the 2000 for the rear, it' isn't that bad. and for some one who can fabricate it will be cheaper yet.
Old 01-19-05, 11:56AM   #9
ventura7211

I was going to add a torque arm to my ventura while still using the stock springs/shocks arrangement. I drew it all out in auto cad, figured the cost to be about $100 for materials, decided to run a class where they are prohibited. LOL So I've scraped that program. The hardest part was how to attach it to the rear end. Welding tabs on the pinion area of the rear end was ideal but I was concerned how this area maybe subjectable to breakage. Another option was a brace I drafted that sandwiched between the rear end and the inspection cover. The main goal was to eliminate the pinion climb that destroys the 8.5 rear end.

I may build it and run it at the outlaw races around here. If it works well in mild steel I'll switch to chromemoly to shed the weight. I had a problem in the rules that all traction devices must be bolt ons, another reason why the brace was designed and a new tranny crossmember that had a mounting point, so it was a true bolt on.
ventura7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 12:32PM   #10
1977transam

Glad to hear I am not the only person who has thought about adapting this type of suspension into and older car. Right now for me it is just and bold idea i have not done extensive research on how to set it up. i wanted to get people opionions before i spent me valuable down time at work on this.
Old 01-19-05, 01:02PM   #11
Fast1970transam

I was thinking of running something like that too.
Old 01-19-05, 03:09PM   #12
A. X.

Seems to me your main problem would be the link point at the rearend. The ford setup looks more stable and easier to adapt to a 9", if that's what you're using. I don't see why these parts can't be fabricated. Doesn't look too complicated. Just as long as your math is good, you should be able to seriously cut the expense by building one yourself.
Old 01-19-05, 03:15PM   #13
1977transam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. X.
Seems to me your main problem would be the link point at the rearend. The ford setup looks more stable and easier to adapt to a 9", if that's what you're using. I don't see why these parts can't be fabricated. Doesn't look too complicated. Just as long as your math is good, you should be able to seriously cut the expense by building one yourself.
moser sells 12 bolt and 9" rears with the connection for the torque right on them. since i plan to upgrade any who, it's not that big of a deal. imo. since spohn is local to me i will probly by most of there parts may not be there top of the line. the frame rails will be changed out from the stock stamped to mandral bent ones. i was going to use comp eng. but my new catalog from S&W shows the make them and i work about 2 miles from there i will buy them from S&W. I don't see it being much if more expensive then buying and putting in a 4 link or ladder bar set up. Just no hacking of the floor boards.
Old 01-19-05, 03:42PM   #14
A. X.

Yeah, and you'll save time and maybe even some expense there, by not hacking them up. Sounds like a good plan to me. :ax
Old 01-22-05, 12:31PM   #15
ventura7211

Getting a nine inch or 12 bolt with the torque arm provision cast in would take alot of work out of the switch. For me my main goal was to try to save the 8.5 I have from self destruction, of course if it adds to the peformance of the car that would be ok too.
ventura7211 is offline   Reply With Quote