PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Suspension - Brakes - Tires
User Name
Password

Suspension - Brakes - Tires OEM to all out Performance - Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires

sponser links

Old 08-06-04, 10:35AM   #1
Fast1970transam

Default Suspension books

Is there any good ones out there for road racing? or just killer suspensions that can handle like a mad man? thanks
Old 08-06-04, 11:47AM   #2
1977transam

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

The link above is the book i am reading right now. It has a lot of good info in it to help you to design a suspension that will work with you. I bought the book hopeing it would help me with my suspension decision and it has. Once i have the time i will be designing my rear suspension to get what i want out of it.

There are lots of other books out there like this one some more advance and some less. From what I have been told this is a good book to start with.

if you wish to run drag suspension may i also recomend this book. this will be my next book will be http://www.swracecars.com/pdf/CATpg57.PDF doorslammers the chassis book.

hope this helped some

Bryan
Old 08-06-04, 12:05PM   #3
Fast1970transam

cool! thanks for the links :thumbs
Old 08-06-04, 12:24PM   #4
1977transam

not a problem
Old 08-06-04, 12:54PM   #5
A. X.

I'm running a Hotchkis setup. Most Pro-touring guys are using it in F-Bodies. I can't tell you anything about how it handles though, since I still need to finish the engine.
Old 08-06-04, 12:56PM   #6
A. X.

Oh! Vette Brakes has a cool setup for the F-Body too. Check out their website at http://vbandp.com

This is the one I'm talking about. http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=495

Last edited by A. X. : 08-06-04 at 01:03PM.
Old 08-06-04, 02:13PM   #7
1977transam

looks like they make some nice kits there.

if and when i get to build my bird i want to go with http://www.martzchassis.net/page1.htm new subframe. their rear suspension looks nice but i think there will be some break hop due to the short bars. plus there rear kit does not work with compition engineering's rear frame rails. and i would like to run them to stiffen up the ass end of the car. just my :2cents
Old 08-06-04, 02:42PM   #8
A. X.

Are you building a drag racer, or what? That's a pretty hardcore setup.
Old 08-06-04, 02:47PM   #9
1977transam

when i get to build my car i want to build it pro-tour / pro street. i love the martz front susp. i want my car to be able to go high speed on turn and be able to launch at the drag strip. i know a hard thing i have to give up one or the other so i plan on making my rear suspension adjustable
Old 08-06-04, 06:12PM   #10
ventura7211

"Chassis Engineering" by Herb Adams is a very good book.
ventura7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-04, 06:27PM   #11
Fast1970transam

I plan to build my own frame or have wayne due build me one. I was thinking of going with a c6 suspension package for the front with koni double adjustable shocks.wilwood 15 inch rotors and 6 piston brakes for up front and 13.5 rotors with 4 pistons. I plan to use some 2x4 .120 square tubing all around. the frame will be welded to the body. Here is the dea I was talkig to wayne an i got a quote of 2400.00 for a C6 frame that can fit a 10.5 rim upfront. the motor would be moved back 6 inches, so on and so on. that price would be just the bare frame with everything mocked up that i want. So i'm not sure if i just wanna build it myself or have him. It's just I hate to spend 2400.00 for just a bare frame. So thats why i'm looking for good suspension books. maybe i wont even go with Corvette suspension and maybe something custom. I just want to make my bird different then the rest.

The rear will be a 3 link suspension on a fab 9 rearend.

I already started making a jig for the bird before i cut anything up using a gay ass arc welder. I hate chipping off that slag crap. anyways I want to start buying my tubing and was wondering what to do. need help and maryann in bed :thumbs
Old 08-06-04, 06:33PM   #12
Fast1970transam

I started notching my stock frame and doing other mods, but when it comes down to it i rather have a custom one made. I'm also doing it to save some weight from stock stuff.I'm just not gonna try to save money and just start really building this beast the way i want it, else it will never get done and in the end i will spend more :soapbox
Old 08-06-04, 06:44PM   #13
Fast1970transam

I just want to say this post is my wife's fault.She got me thinking and I quote" Are you really gonna spend 2400.00 for just a piece of metal, why dont you just make one?''
Old 08-06-04, 06:56PM   #14
A. X.

With the hotchkis setup, your car will handle like a Vette. With the Vette Brakes setup, it will handle better than a Vette. Unless you're going to add the new frame just for show, there's really no point in it. You can get the same or better handling without all the hassles of a swap, with today's aftermarket setups. Making a frame isn't something that anyone can do. It takes a well trained person just to straighten one properly.
Old 08-07-04, 01:55PM   #15
Fast1970transam

Ya i know what yoy mean about making a frame.I know i could do that the stuff i want tomy stocker, but i would be saving some weight andalot of work trying to cut and reshape stuff. Man this sucks butt