PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> User Reviews
User Name
Password

User Reviews Reviews of Products by Real Users.

Old 10-29-10, 01:31AM   #1
BearGFR
Bigfoot

Default Milodon #32240 Windage Tray

I really had to work this thing over to get it to fit. It's a nice looking tray with louvers to scrape the oil cloud away from the crank, but on my 461 there was no way that the tray louvers were ever going to clear the crank. I wound up just cutting the louvers completely out of the tray, turning them into slots.

Even after cutting the louvers out and mounting the tray as far away from the crank as possible, I still didn't have the specified 1/8" minimum clearance between the crank/rod bolts and the tray at all points. I solved the problem by "reshaping" the tray mounts with a cross-pien body hammer, letting me get the tray just a little farther away from the rotating parts.

The last problem I had to solve was that of the lower dipstick tube. My engine originally had the factory windage tray and the lower dipstick tube that was captured between it and the block. To use the Milodon tray, I had to go with the lower dipstick tube that's for "non-windage tray" Pontiacs and designed to be mounted to the center main cap. Of course, my center main cap didn't have the bolt holes to mount the tube so I had to drill and tap them myself.

BearGFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10, 08:24PM   #2
Bnick166

Uhhhh....I don't mean to rain on your parade BearGFR
I'm not to sure that drilling and tapping that main cap like that is a good idea. I think you have significantly weakened the cap by doing so.
Bnick166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 01:50AM   #3
BearGFR
Bigfoot

I was really worried about that, but Mr. PBody assured me that it was fine and wouldn't compromise the cap at all, as long as I didn't drill it too deep. I've learned to trust what he says.
After all, the factory windage tray mounted into drilled holes in the #2 and #4 main caps anyway and I didn't drill #3 any deeper than they are.

Bear
BearGFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 10:54AM   #4
Mr. PBody

Not to worry. We've done this to dozens of Pontiacs over 500 HP without a single "incident" of cap problems.

Rather than "remove" the louvers, we generally "bend them out" to clear the rod bolts, so the "scraping effect" remains in place.

From all our experience, the Milodon "system" is the best one.

Jim
Mr. PBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 06:32AM   #5
pontirag

I dont think the mounting of the tray is the issue here.

why would you drill two threaded holes in a crucial component like a main cap????

why not get a studed main cap bolt. drill a hole in the lower dipstick tube monting bracket and fasten it to the main cap bolt stud.

hard to contemplate.
pontirag is offline   Reply With Quote