> 1958 - 1981 Pontiac Tech & Restoration
User Name
Password

1958 - 1981 Pontiac Tech & Restoration Firebird - GTO - Fullsize

sponser links

Old 03-15-07, 12:07PM   #1
Greystone75

Default Stock Cat removal

Hi everyone, I have a 1975 Formula 350 all stock. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to remove the cat and just put a piece of straight pipe in it's place. Has anyone done this to this year and model? Any tips, suggestions? Thanks,
Greystone75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 05:55PM   #2
Ron Genovese
Drag Racer

I remember back in the 80s I hollowed out the catalytic converter on my 83 trans am & it made a huge difference in power.
Ron Genovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 08:50PM   #3
region warrior
Drag Racer

Yes, but do you have to have it tested?
If so, just do what Ron said. It should still pass emissions as long as it's in good tune.
Dual exhaust would make the best single improvement.
region warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 11:41AM   #4
A. X.

You don't see too many stock 75 exhaust systems still in tact.
Old 03-16-07, 02:47PM   #5
Greystone75

It is exempt from any sort of smog or emissions related testing due to the year. And ya, stock exhaust is still intact, the whole car is stock, pretty sweet! Only 28,000 original miles!
Old 03-16-07, 02:53PM   #6
tweety
the blue canary

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. X. View Post
True, you don't. When I bought my 75 back in 2000, it still had the stock exhaust on it, but I was the third owner. The second owner only had it for 2 years,and he didn't play with it much. For some reason, when I swapped out the 350 - 2 barrel for the first 455 I put in the car, I kept the stock exhaust. I never did try it without the cat though. Figured I'd pick up more power with a bigger engine.
Old 03-16-07, 04:04PM   #7
A. X.

That was usually the first thing ripped out and replaced with dual exhaust. I think I'd leave it alone, but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-16-07, 05:30PM   #8
tweety
the blue canary

Yeah, I hear that. The first year or so I had the car, I put about 4000 miles on it with the stock set up. Power was good for a cruiser, and I thought the gas milage was fine. Sometimes I regret pumping it up just from the loss of originality. It was just a base model car with no options though, so overall I didn't feel like I was loosing anything from building it. If it was a Formula, I may have felt different. But then, I'm really partial to Formulas. I've had a few of them. When I'm done this build, hopefully I'm looking at low 12's - high 11's and to me that's more than worth it. It's all about priorities though.
Old 03-16-07, 10:07PM   #9
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. X. View Post
Excatly what I was thinking. You real aint going to get that much more power by removing it usless its plugged. I'd leave it.
Old 03-17-07, 11:57AM   #10
Greystone75

thanks for the responses everyone, I will probably just leave it to keep the originality, I was just thinking that if I could remove it to replace it with a piece that could easily be swapped on an off, and pick up some ponies, it may be worthwhile.
Old 03-17-07, 02:33PM   #11
strickrodt70

Cool 75 Formula 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone75 View Post
It is exempt from any sort of smog or emissions related testing due to the year. And ya, stock exhaust is still intact, the whole car is stock, pretty sweet! Only 28,000 original miles!
Sounds like a nice car. I'd really get a kick out of seeing some pics if you can post any or send them to me pm. Thanks.
I'd leave the cat too, unless it's plugged. The originalness of your car is rare and if it was mine I'd keep it that way.
I still own lots of parts of my 1975 Formula 350 (lost the body due to major rust in Michigan) and someday I hope to put it all back together. So far it has been my favorite car. I've owned 4 Firebirds and one Camaro, but that 75 was the most fun. Mine was nearly all original (the rust was an aftermarket feature).
strickrodt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 03:16PM   #12
Greystone75

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/366/pontiac42ix9.jpg
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5...ntiac13sl2.jpg

Heres a few quick shots, sorry they are kind of far away. I'll try to get some better ones!
Old 03-19-07, 04:42PM   #13
abarone300

Mike's right! Why mess with something nice and stock. I realize that you want to retain the catalic converter and install a test pipe in its place, and later reinstall the cat, but why would you want to cruise down the boulevard with a noisy exhaust... yes, because I know from experience! I did the same with my '79 T/A, and it was much louder! Although you might have the one large muffler behind the axle instead of the two small resonators I had, and therefore your car won't quite as loud as mine.
abarone300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 12:37AM   #14
billygoatii

You would gain quite a bit just by replacing the convertor with a straight pipe. My bone stock engine in my CanAm ran a best of 15.19 sec. with no mods except a straight pipe in place of the computer. It still retained the rest of the factory single exhaust.

"Been waitin' all week to get my wheels on the street
Get my hands on the wheel, slide down in the seat"
Foreigner
billygoatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 11:43AM   #15
Greystone75

Aside from just custom making a test pipe, is there anyone that makes one for this application?