Restoration and General Tech
> 1958 - 1981 Pontiac Tech & Restoration
User Name
Password

1958 - 1981 Pontiac Tech & Restoration Firebird - GTO - Fullsize

sponser links

Old 05-02-07, 03:11PM   #16
flynbrian

l cut the convertors off of every vehicle I have ever owned....The stupid things just burn excess fuel vapor until the engine warms up....then it does absolutely nothing. HUGE restriction in the exhaust system.
I even passed a local E-check with my 94 Jeep Cherokee without it....The kid using the mirror was brain dead the day I went through and only half ass looked to see if the exhaust was intact. They ran it on the rollers and it passed the tailpipe test very well within limits.

For the power loss and loss of fuel mileage the convertors waste more fuel and create more bad air than they ever did to clean up the environment.....They also create huge amounts of heat.....Global warming? Anyone?....

I think most of the exhaust system emission controls are to appease the idiots at the C.A.R.B. They dont care about anything except whats in front of them that very second....They do nothing to look at impact in the future....The cost and efforts to produce the items hung on or attached to cars wasted more energy and made more environmental complications than if they just never put it on a vehicle in the first damn place....Look at air pumps.....All they do is pump fresh air into the exhaust system to do two things....one if there is a convertor it adds more oxygen to be burned by the convertor to create more heat and fully "Catalize" the fuel....Thereby dirty-ing more air in the process.
Two, in my motorcycles air pump system that I removed all the pump did was dilute the exhaust by adding fresh air to "fool" testing facilities into thinking that the engine emitted less emissions overall....WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP....Just think of the fuel wasted by all these vehicle running around hauling the extra weight of the bullcrap mandated by overeducated idiots that cant see beyond their own nose.

I would yank that whole entire exhaust system off your car carefully and archive it as a original "surviver" junk souvenier in the corner of the garage and I would promptly go out and buy a mandrel bent stainless steel system specifically for your car with true duals and spin-tec or pro-flo or Xcelerator mufflers in Stainless....You will never look back. and it will probrably outlast the car. Your pocketbook will eventually thank you for the extra power, better, mileage, cooler running vehicle.
flynbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 11:51PM   #17
abarone300

Hi, do you know for a fact that this catalytic converter is good? Since the car is exempt from emission inspection, how about driving a straight pipe through it, or like somebody suggested hollow it out. It's going to be tough finding a test pipe for it, and you would be keeping your stock appearance too...
abarone300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 10:27AM   #18
Greystone75

I assume the stock cat is still good with only 28,000 original miles. I found a test pipe that bolts up, so I can just switch between the two easily if it ever needs to be switched back.
Greystone75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 10:39AM   #19
flynbrian

Most convertors are only good for about 80,000 miles after that they are ineffective. And if the car ever burned a little too much oil or even ran richer than normal with a sticky choke....The Convertor got overheated and trashed right then and there.
Also yesterdays car oils tore up convertors pretty quickly too....Thats why we all got to live with the low Zinc/Phosphorus crappy oils of today....

Can you tell that I think the EPA is a bunch of stupid low lifes who dont know their ass from a hole in the ground? 99% of Mechanics are smarter than the EPA....

Do you know that if you compare a fairly new car in good working order to a very nice 1955 six cylinder Chevy that the Old car is cooler running more efficient and goes farther on a gallon of gas with less impact on the environment and required less impact on the environment when it was produced than any new car?
All the plastics and rubber and specialized building processes today required alot more chemicals and specialized plants and tooling than any old car...Besides anyone who has a old 55' most likely wants to keep it on the road and takes care of it and repairs it with importance....
Most of todays cars are so ho-hum and undesireable that they are disposable....run it for 10 years and junk it. throw it away....let it rot in the sun with all the VOC's and weird chemicals out-gassing from the plastics and oil leaks and coolant leaks from all the engineers quests to make a engine harder to seal...
What happened to cars that were so desirable that they instill feelings in the owners and they are handed down through generations and the only reason that they get put down is for major rust or a accident? Cars that get recycled? Cars that dont litter landfills and junkyards?
If the EPA and government focused on ideals like that.....All of the fellow car hobbyists and I would be considered saints to the environment....We recycle....we clean....we keep our stuff cared for and maintained....We dont believe in a use it for a little bit and toss it environment....We are the people that all other people should bend over backwards for....We should be catered to.

The only outgassing on a old car is from a miniscule amount of vinyl & rubber and maybe the paint when its fresh....Yeah the Chroming process isnt the cleanest but when good chrome is produced.....(NOT chinese crap) It lasts for 50 years when cared for...

People need to rethink....They need to do it quick before the world as we know it sucked dry by A--holes like the EPA and CARB. And the next time you go to a Goodguys or other car show and a guy is stinking you out with his hotrod that is running rich and out of tune.....Kick him in the tail by chastizing his car and how bad a of a mechanic he is for not having it run clean...I gag on exhaust fumes at half these shows with old cars that are sitting still in parade lap traffic and the owner who hasn't made a pass at a dragstrip in 15 years still insists on running his bruiser at 11.8 air fuel ratio to make power....When he should have it running at about 13.3-13.6 Air fuel ratio...If all he does is cruise around and sit at shows...Take yourself for example...Start your car up in the garage....Does it gag you in just a few seconds? Lean the DAMN thing out a little bit! I kept leaning mine out until it didn't bother me to run in the garage for a minute or so.....It sure helped mileage...And my wallet...I know If I want to run it hard I need to richen it back up but its simple If you got a Holley or similiar.

Do little things like that and we all can be responsible for a decent environment. All this over a stupid little converter....I swear I get wound up to easy.....I see it very clearly from both sides though.....AS a industry worker and younger guy looking at both the manufacturer and consumer side and as a young guy looking at old crotchety Baby Boomers who are long past cool anymore and their old musclecar is a turd since they are so out of tune with the world and dont even remember how to keep that beast n tune....If your old and lazy buy fuel injection...
Old 05-09-07, 10:47AM   #20
flynbrian

My point was rip off the converter and never look back...Keep it in tune and it will be cleaner than most cars. That was my point...Instead i went off on a rampage...And who gives a crap about originality...especially emission control devices.
Old 05-09-07, 11:08AM   #21
Greystone75

uhhhh, ok the car is in great tune, so it will be fine!
Greystone75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 05:07AM   #22
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

They use to make the test pipes for those cars all over but now with the fear of the 50K fine on the shop that takes them off & replaces them with a piece of pipe no many shops will replace them now. You can do it at home but you are still liable for the car & the cat to be on there. If you take it off & someone wants to get real tough with you they can make you pay a 50K fine for removing it. Not a big chance of it , but it can be done to you.
rexs73gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 03:19AM   #23
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

No , no one makes a test pipe any more as it is not legal to take it off as most do any way. The gov. clamped down on the companies that use to build the test pipes because it was made to over ride the emissions of the car. But you should be able to find at least one shop that can make you one. Just don't go to a chain type exhaust shop as they won't make you one by their rules. But by taking it off you will get much better throttle response & a little bit of HP, but not really enough to notice. But your mileage will get better.
Old 11-16-16, 11:07PM   #24
sprint250
Moteesuh

Default "Test Pipe"

They are still available but the businesses selling them make you fill out and sign an affadavit that says you know & understand that the "test pipe" is intended for use at " Club and /or Sanctioned Off road Competition Events Only" and is not to be used on the street or public highways on a pollution controlled motor vehicle.

Horsepower Engineering
http://www.burschexhaust.com/contactus.htm
Old 01-07-17, 05:01AM   #25
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

I haven't seen any parts store that sells any TEST ????? any more. Where are you buying them or getting them as I'd like to know as the chain store don't/won't sell them anymore. Maybe your getting them from a muffler shop ?? But I haven't seen any from a chain store for at least 25 years.