User Name
Password

Pre-War Pontiac & Oakland Forum/Registry Pontiacs and Oaklands 1942 and older

sponser links

Old 04-29-07, 03:00AM   #16
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

Default Re: Oakland

Wow- a precursor of the eventual Pontiac V8 distributor location! Sure would have been a 'delight' to work on that distributor, compared with the miserable pre-'49 Ford flathead location. Does it also drive the oil pump off the bottom of the distributor like a Pontiac V8?

Oops- I see it looks like a front-sump pan, so oil pump's probably not it the rear?
Pontiac Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 01:13AM   #17
Rarerodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
Imagine a set of headers on that thing.
I think it does have headers
Rarerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 09:13AM   #18
Hugh Venables

Otistn, that is a fabulous picture of an 1930 Oakland V8 engine bay exactly as it should be.

Here are a few more photos. The roadster photo was taken in the 2000 Targa Tasmania. I'm driving and John Felder, the owner is the passenger. John drove most of the event and I navigated. I got to drive the town sections like this one. It was an incredible experience.

The red sedan is my own car which needs a lot of improving. The blue sedan is from the Australian sales brochure.

The race car is the Ira Vail's 1930 Indy 500 entry which Claude Burton drove into 11th place when the race ended.

The engine in bits is the roadster's engine ten years and 50,000 miles ago.

The engine cross sections are from the owner's handbook.

Yes Jack, the distributor isn't too bad to work on. By the way, it's a four lobe twin point with independent timing adjustments for each bank. And yes, the oil pump is driven from the bottom of the distributor shaft via an intermediate shaft with fork and blade drive both ends.
Old 05-02-07, 01:00AM   #19
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

Hugh- Thank you, thank you, thank you- for those priceless images, especially the orderly arrangement of the engine in pieces. I'll be getting right on those factory drawings (hoping they're consistently scaled), printing them blown-up, and measuring them for a ballpark idea of some dimensions.

As 'old' as this engine design is, it's got some alluring 'modern' aspects- short flame-travel, large potential squish area, 8-port exhaust (enabling tuned pipes), oversquare bore/stroke, etc. Admittedly, the one-into-two intake ports and inherent valve-shrouding will be challenging to overcome for high performance. Come on RareRodder- let's get busy brainstorming this baby!
Old 05-02-07, 02:31AM   #20
Rarerodder

Pontiac Jack, you've got me drooling like hound at a barbeque! I just hope that what I'm gonna get is as complete and in that good of shape. Otistn did tell me the block has a crack that has been welded at some time. Otherwise, he feels that all is there and useable.

Count me in and let me know what you need. As soon as I can I'll get you pics of everything and start taking measurements. Ouch! Sorry I had to pinch myself again
Old 05-02-07, 04:19AM   #21
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

What part of the country you in? Don't worry- I never stole anything in my life... of course I never happened across an Oakland V8 before...
I should mention that I do have some credentials for flathead performance- I designed/machined heads for a couple of garden-puller friends, so they could make 100 HP with their 16 HP Kohler engines!
Old 05-02-07, 10:53AM   #22
Rarerodder

I live just outside of Nashville, TN. Where do you call home?
Old 05-03-07, 01:24AM   #23
INJUNTOM

This is going to be great
Old 05-03-07, 01:45AM   #24
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

I'm in Phelps, NY.
I must be blind- where do those exhaust manifolds connect to the car's exhaust system? (photos of both left & right views of engine- can't see it?)
Something else I didn't see at first- it's a "deep" block- like a Chrysler hemi or a Ford Y-block! Almost looks like a windage tray integral with the top of the oil pan?
Old 05-03-07, 02:28AM   #25
Rarerodder

Look at Ponchpaul's other thread with the engine pic. Single exhaust outlet on one side of the engine? It's low and in the center. Come on one of you Oakland guys, fill us in on the mystery exhaust!
Old 05-03-07, 11:52AM   #26
Hugh Venables

Jack and Rarerodder; Exhaust from the right bank is directed to the left side of the engine, preheating the manifold centre section under the carburetor as it goes. The main exhaust outlet is a cast passage from the top of the block through the water jacket between the centre two cylinders on the left bank to the outside where the exhaust pipe is connected. It is the relatively large hole visible on the top of the far side of the block in the photo of the engine in pieces. I suspect this contributes to a reasonably quick coolant warm up from cold start but the cooling system works very well with no sign of overheating. I have driven the roadster in peak hour traffic for half an hour without the fan on a 100F day. I switched off at red lights and restarted on green. Admittedly it does have a new modern core. My sedan with original core in unknown condition does not work as well.

The engine does not have an oil filter. The sheet metal in the sump is there for carrying fine gauze over most of the area through which the oil drains and is "filtered"! The centre of the sheet metal is folded down to form two surge baffles. Although the oil pump is at the back of the engine, the pick up is in the middle of the sump between the baffles.

Correct, the block is deep, the main bearing caps and their bolts are completely above the sump gasket line. In fact the sump gasket seals on the rear main cap.

Paul, I'm afraid any resemblance to original on the red sedan is purely coincidental. Apparently the color is 1980 Ford Falcon/Fairlane. Did you spot the oval rear window that 1930 Holden bodied cars have? I just noticed the photo of your car. It's uncanny how similar the color is. Is that the version of the eagle with the crease along the centre of the cap or the one with plain cap?

Jack, I've been contemplating something similar to the Indy car for a while. There is also a guy in Columbus OH trying to build a replica. I'm very interested in your ideas on improving the engines output. The 1930 Indy car used Ray Day pistons. I wonder if they might have had protruding tops. Maybe it was just to substitute aluminium pistons for the original semi-steel ones. The original compression ratio is quoted variously at 5 and 5.1:1 . I'll post some photos of the combustion chamber and my suggestion of a protruding top piston in a day or so.
Old 05-03-07, 09:03PM   #27
ponchopaul

Hey Hugh I thought I noticed an oval rear window in your car, but thought it was an optical illusion LOL Of course over here a 1930 would have a rectangular rear window and our 29's are oval. The eagle is not on the creased cap but a flat cap with rings on the edge. It is kind of strange how similar the colors match though it would be interesting if we could sit them both side by side
ponchopaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 01:47AM   #28
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

I have to admit that the V8 "in the block" exhaust routing is "neat & tidy", although it could be left dormant in a performance-modified engine with headers. From a functional standpoint, header design looks quite straightforward, but... the visual impact of headers out the top of the 'valley'... that's going to require some thought!
Old 05-05-07, 02:05AM   #29
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac Jack View Post
... the one-into-two intake ports and inherent valve-shrouding will be challenging to overcome for high performance.
I haven't really studied the images yet, but it looks to me that un-siamesing the intakes might not be too complex- maybe merely filling the siamesed portions (aluminum? epoxy?), and cutting new individual passages. Intake manifold needs to be fabricated anyway, so we're free to choose port locations.
Valve shrouding... needs a lot of thought.
Old 05-06-07, 08:34AM   #30
Hugh Venables

Hey guys, before I post any more photos on this, I wonder if we should start a new thread titled Oakland V8 or maybe Oakland V8 engine and move all the relevant posts across and leave the Oakland thread for more general Oakland stuff.
What do you think? Injuntom, how about it?