PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 02-15-19, 01:14AM   #1
sprint250
Moteesuh

Default ANOTHER ON BITES THE DUST- Racelegal closes

San Diego Stadium RACELEGAL : LAST DRAG RACE MARCH FIRST!
http://racelegal.com/
Was supposed to happen tomorrow Friday night but the rain came in on Wednesday and will not let up until mid day Friday.
Track surface will be pumping moisture for a few days due to some flash flooding. Low lying land near the river.

The persons operating the track/program are citing financial reasons for the shutdown & probably rightly so because they insisted on operating like a charity instead of a racing business.The program was in part relying on government controlled grant money, private donations (like PBS) and was always getting F'ed around by the local politicians depending on the prevailing political climate ( & the stadium site is potentially up for grabs for a "redevelopment" project. Hmmmmmmmm).

IMO -
The track operators:
Under charged the racers on entry fees .
Racers with high dollar machines were regular participants there and could well afford the increases.

Under charged the spectators on admissions.

Did not pursue the merchandising angle vigorously enough with branded gear like hats , T-shirts,stickers etc.

Never ,to my knowledge,openly associated itself with the NHRA and its resources. No member track affiliation ever displayed at the track or on their website.

The majority of the racing was just random test & tune parings unless racers set up a grudge race in the pits or staging lanes.
Friday Night events only. Never anything on a Saturday / daytime .

A regularly scheduled/organized bracket race series or program was never adhered to (hit and miss. it all depended on who the race director was at the time). When they did hold a bracket race the buy in was a minimal charge.

Awards for best reaction time,best MPH & best ET were given at the end of the night for test and tune performances for the specific ET categories in the Racelegal program. A participation trophy and possibly a small contingency award for the "winners".

Having said that, I still like the venue . 4 wide 1/8th mile w/6 flat ET limit.
They can get a lot of hot lappers down the track in a night from 6pm to 11pm.
Racelegal got a lot of racers off the streets and made many of them serious about racing & going up the hill to Barona to compete in the NHRA real deal.
It got me re-involved in racing in year 2000 to a point where I actually won one of the rare bracket races held there 2005. Was a thrill of a lifetime for me!
Good Times!
I'll be at the last race in March represent'n Pontiac Power.

Dec 2013 video at Racelegal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjL_UxyGZR8
The Bucketbird shows up going through tech and again in the first 3 minutes of grudge / T&T.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RACELEGAL 12-9-2005 bracket winner.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	29611   Click image for larger version

Name:	DATSUFASTUN 7-2005.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	29612  
Old 02-15-19, 12:51PM   #2
Gach