> 1958 - 1981 Pontiac Tech & Restoration
User Name
Password

1958 - 1981 Pontiac Tech & Restoration Firebird - GTO - Fullsize

sponser links

Old 06-08-06, 06:13AM   #1
Poison heart

Default 1959 Star Chief

I bought a '59 Star Chief not too long ago and, I pulled the motor out already and I'm wiating on some more money to rebuild it. I already got an Offenhauser dual quad intake. I want to go with headers and a better cam also. What CFM carbs should I use with this set up. I know a stock tri power set up was around 750 CFM. So with headers and a cam I would guess I should go with a little more? Also does anyone know where I can find some headers? I would also like to go with a 4 speed manual tranny. Would any of the Pontiac muscle car standard trannys bolt up to the '59 block? I don't know much about later Pontiacs. This is my second car but my first "build" really. Any objections to my ideas so far? Or should I do anything else?
Poison heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-06, 07:53AM   #2
55 Starchief

OK,

Headers might you might get lucky with. Pontiac blocks didnt change much over the years so a set of 69 firebird headers might work. I had to search high and low for headers on my 55. I eventually found a left hand side dougs header which i hope will work and then i will get a pair made using the dougs as a pattern.

Pretty much all the pontiac trans should swap, i have a TH350 on my 287 but watch out as on the early blocks they didnt have a rear motor mount as it was on the trans which is causing me issues at the moment as i need to fabricate something to make my new box work with my old block

When i was looking at the dual carb route i was recomended a pair of 500cfm carbs, from memory you can only fit certain carbs on that intake.
Old 06-08-06, 07:17PM   #3
Poison heart

Thanks 55 Stachief. What manual trannys were available in the later years for the 389s? I know chevy used Muncie and I found an adapter for like 600$but I don't know about Pontiacs. You Don't think I will need an adapter? You're right about the rear motor mount. I have the original carter off of my buick and it will bolt onto that intake for my pontiac. And I took the Carter off the buick and an Edelbrock bolted right up to the buick manifold. So, you think that dual 500cfm carbs will be a good choice? And I should just try some firebird headers or somethin? Thanks for the help
1976 W200 Dodge Power Wagon 383/ 727 4x4

http://www.pontiac-59.com/
Old 06-09-06, 04:48AM   #4
55 Starchief

I am pretty sure that pontiac used the same manual boxes as chevy just different bolt paterns. If your motor has no rear mounts you will have the same problem as me also the starter motor wont have any fixings as they might be on the original trans as well. All you would need is a pontiac manual trans and there are a few including the TKO650 i think brandikay has this on her 455.

Headers are gonna be a try and see what fits but i would guess the early firebirds would be a starting place. You could try calling a couple of the manufacturers and see if they have any ideas

Yeah carter AFB was what i was looking at fitting when i was going dual carb in the end i went single and have a mighty demon
Old 06-11-06, 12:38PM   #5
Bill Eveland

Is it a manual trans car now? You need a 58-60 manual trans bellhousing to use a muncie or t-10. Those bellhousings use side mounts, i've heard of others thats all they use without a rear mount.
Bill Eveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 09:38PM   #6
Poison heart

BillEveland, My tranny is an auto. But you're saying that if i can find a bell housing off of a 58, 59 or 60 synchromesh standard, then I will be able to use that to bolt up a muncie? That's exciting. But Will I have the problems with the mounts and the starter?

Old 06-20-06, 08:40AM   #7
Repoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison heart
BillEveland, My tranny is an auto. But you're saying that if i can find a bell housing off of a 58, 59 or 60 synchromesh standard, then I will be able to use that to bolt up a muncie? That's exciting. But Will I have the problems with the mounts and the starter?
If you find a bellhousing, use your existing starter, and motor mounts. Any late trans will bolt right up. Use a 10-1/2 clutch setup with a stock 58-60 flywheel.

They're pretty hard to find.

55 Starchief, aren't you forgetting your need to buy a Wilcap adapter to bolt up that th350? Or are you making your own?
Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 09:22AM   #8
55 Starchief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman
55 Starchief, aren't you forgetting your need to buy a Wilcap adapter to bolt up that th350? Or are you making your own?

I was gonna make my own as the only one i found was crazy money. Do you have a link for the wilcap one?
Old 06-21-06, 04:51PM   #9
Repoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Starchief
I was gonna make my own as the only one i found was crazy money. Do you have a link for the wilcap one?
http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.htm
Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 10:48PM   #10
Bill Eveland

There is one other company that makes adapters for the early Pontiacs v-8 or straight 8. There kit uses the more popular Chevy bolt pattern. Auto or manual transmission.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/early_pontiac.htm

Edit: never mind, I just saw where you posted that link in the trans section
Old 06-23-06, 12:27AM   #11
Poison heart

Thanks anyway Bill. So I can buy this adapter, Buy a Muncie 4 speed right? And I suppose I will need to get a new drive shaft. Who should I talk to about that? Also, what is the difference between the different muncies? or which one should I go for?

Old 06-23-06, 11:15AM   #12
Bill Eveland

You can either buy an adapter, Chevy bolt pattern bellhousing and trans, Probably an m-20 with the wide ratio. But that bellhousing won't have the side mounts. I'm not famaliar with how the 59 tailshaft is mounted. The 58-60 bellhousing if you can find one would be better. Just remember the extra cost to convert to manual trans either mechanical linkage/pedels or hydraulic throwout bearing . As fas as the driveshaft, check locally to have yours made . The Muncie m-20 should use the same yolk as a th350 if you have any of those around.

I think the Wilcap uses the BOP pattern whereas the Bendtsens uses the Chevy pattern, I would double check before getting any parts.
Old 06-23-06, 06:17PM   #13
Poison heart

Thanks Bill. I'm still a ways away from buying parts. I'm just tryin to figure out what I'm gunna do.