PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 04-11-07, 07:20AM   #1
Corey

Default Hood bowing

I was checking over the enging area in my car and noticed when i closed the hood it has a bow in the drivers side in the center. Im pretty sure its at the break point. Its not creased just bowed and only about a half an inch so far. Can this be fixed or do I need to start looking for another hood?
Old 04-11-07, 08:45AM   #2
A. X.

Most of the time that's caused from shutting the hood incorrectly, or having hinges that do not work properly anymore, and they catch, causing the hood to bend/kink. People usually make braces for this problem, but I wouldn't call that a clean fix. Without pics, it's hard to say if yours can be fixed.
Old 04-11-07, 12:23PM   #3
Poncho1961

I agree with AX. First try oiling the hinge to make sure it is working smoothly. I know your project has been sitting awhile if were talking the 67 bird. Lube the hinge and open close the hood a few times to insure smooth operation. If it all seems ok. Check the lip that runs along the edge to make sure it isn't folded under. If it is, straighten it so it is running close to 90 degrees from the surface of the hood. If it is bent it may have bowed the hood when it bent. Sometimes straightening these will pull the bow back out. You may also try blocking up the hood at the front corner and close to the spring and apply a little of your weight to push the hood back into shape. Stay close to the edge so you don't dent the flat sheet metal of the hood.
Old 04-11-07, 07:23PM   #4
Corey

Thanks. As soon as it quits trying to turn back into winter here I can get some pics. The hinges dont seem to be dragging or catching. No noises when I close it. The previous owner replaced the fron fenders and they arent aligned very well so Ill have to fix that issue first.
Again thanks.
Old 04-11-07, 09:59PM   #5
A. X.

That's true. Poor fender alignment will also cause this problem. Took me a while to get that alignment issue out, myself. So if you don't see a visible bow in the hood, you should work on the alignment to see if that helps any.
Old 04-12-07, 06:50AM   #6
Chuck

Make sure everything these guys layed out on ya. The area your refering to is a "crumple zone" its there so if you get in the front the hood will fold inside of coming through the windsheild. I've seen guys take 12" x 1"x1/8 steel and weld or bolt them over the crumple area to stiffin up a bowing hood. But you realy need to make sure everything else is alligned right and working good before you do something like that.
Old 09-17-12, 06:20AM   #7
jenwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I was checking over the enging area in my car and noticed when i closed the hood it has a bow in the drivers side in the center. Im pretty sure its at the break point. Its not creased just bowed and only about a half an inch so far. Can this be fixed or do I need to start looking for another hood?
you might want to share some images of your hood so we could suggest if it needs repair or replacement. Maybe those fenders were not working good, might be the cause of the problem
jenwhite is offline   Reply With Quote