> Member's Projects in progress
User Name
Password

Member's Projects in progress Show us what you're working on

sponser links

Old 03-07-16, 06:43PM   #1
Seven

Default 1983 Pontiac Firebird SE re-build

I am going to be modifying my 1983 Pontiac Firebird SE. I purchased it a couple years ago and have been saving for a new engine. I have never done this kind of thing before, so it is going to be a learning experience. It will be a street machine, daily, with some power.

I was pointed to Central Virginia Machine to build my Pontiac engine. They are building me a second generation 461 Cubic Inches (400) block. 4.155 bore x 4.125 stroke. It will be pushing 550 HP & Torque. 4X Heads. 850 Holley Carburetor. 9.2:1 Compression. 110 LSA .571 lift. XR288HR 236/242 Cam. Edelbrock 5056 Torker 2 Manifold.

I plan to upgrade as much as I can on the car, so a restoration isn't my end goal. Classic Industries.com is a source I am currently using for parts.

Since I am totally new to this, so I would greatly appreciate any help and advice I can get. Let me know if anyone has any recommendations for a Transmission, braking system, suspension, etc that will work for this engine.
Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-16, 06:06PM   #2
SPDMETL

Get a 4l80e transmission and a torque arm mount and hang on!
Old 06-01-16, 01:38PM   #3
Seven

Told my co-worker what I was doing, and he as all to eager to help. He came over on a weekend and we worked on disconnecting the 305 engine and transmission. I borrowed the puller from a friend and we managed to get the two out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160517_222647.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	28641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160517_222633.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	28642   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160517_233923.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	28643   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160517_233944.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	28644  
Old 04-03-17, 01:22PM   #4
Seven

Default Engine is done and arrived

My engine from Central Virginia Machine Service has finally arrived!

headers are ordered and once they arrive, we are going to fire this baby up.

Anyone have a suggestion for a set of springs for the front that will handle the weight of this big block?
Old 05-16-17, 07:07PM   #5
Seven

Quick Question for the experts. Looking at these photos, can you tell if the heads were baked in a thermal cleaner and blasted with stainless steel shot?

I was told that they were, and told by someone else that they definitely were not.

Old 05-16-17, 09:00PM   #6
Gach
Administrator

From what I can see, I'd say yes. When cast iron is baked ( block or heads ) inside and out looks brand-new. It's really hard to tell from those pictures 100% that they have.
Old 05-17-17, 12:30PM   #7
Seven

Thank you Gach, I appreciate your input.

My installer got the engine hooked up on a run stand and ran into some issues. He told me that after maybe 10-15 mins of running, it blew off the top hose (building pressure).

The second issue he pointed out to me was water boiling up out of the void in the head (the stock cavity in Pontiac Heads that are there to block the ability to install a stock non-EGR intake)

it was hooked up to a pulley system so the water pump should have been going the correct direction.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Operator error? Blown gasket? Cracked head?
Old 05-18-17, 01:04AM   #8
Mb125

Definitely shouldn't have water coming from those blind ports. If you still have everything bolted on a test stand and all hoses connected try and pressure test the engine providing its still full of water.
See if it's leaking out the heads.
Old 05-22-17, 06:47PM   #9
Seven

Video I took of starting the engine. Yes, I don't know anything about engines.

Video shows taking temperature of the heads, last one is running cold. Then shows the water coming up in the head at the end of the video. Apart from that, I love how the engine sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vem...I#action=share
Old 06-11-17, 01:06AM   #10
SPDMETL

So, what happened here?
Old 06-15-17, 03:22PM   #11
Seven

Still waiting for a response from my mechanic. He said that the heads where off and at a machine shop to pressure test them for cracks.
Old 06-21-17, 04:55PM   #12
Seven

Just got word from the machine shop that the head was indeed cracked. Have to send it back now for a replacement.
Old 06-21-17, 09:40PM   #13
JSPONT

They did not catch that on the dyno, or when putting it together? SMH I would be pissed.
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 02:16AM   #14
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

I don't know if you have gotten any response from the machine shop yet, but if it were me I would make them give your money back. Did you say they put this of a dyno & checked the running of it before you got it . This would have shown up on there right away as it did on your run stand & should have been caught right then & there. The amount of water & oil coming up by the intake makes my very nervous & that it would be getting into the bearings & then that engine won't last very long. I would make them give ALL your money back & then find a shop that is definitely not them to repair this the right way. I'd also like to know why the fan wasn't on when the engine was running. On a new engine you want it to be as cool as possible when you 1st start it up. That fan should have been on right away. Again if you blew off the top hose when you ran it the 1st time you really have a problem, but that may have been because the fan wasn't on & you over heated it which is why the heads are now cracked. But the reason your getting water up past the intake is the intake is not sealing at all. You should never have water up past the intake gasket. The intake is not designed for the 4X heads as I can see from the video it doesn't cover the passage's where the egr should go. That has to be covered by either a plate or the intake being designed for the 4X heads. I know you said you didn't have very much experience with engines but I would say you ned some help in this one. Also & not trying to bust your Ba11's but Pontiac doesn't have a big block or small block the Pontiac block is all one block. This is a Pontiac not a chevy. The engine it self looked good as it was painted nice, but I to want to ask ,,, did you pull the heads off after you got it back or was that before it went to the machine shop. The reason I ask is if you used the wrong head gasket you could have caused some of this problem . Let me know & I'll be glad to help you any way I can. I have put together at least 200 Pontiac engine together over the years & can say I've had my problems over the years to.
rexs73gto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:07PM   #15
Seven

The engine never got on a Dyno, no. The Engine Builder said they started it and ran for about 50 mins, said it was good, crated it up and shipped it to me.

The engine arrived at my mechanics and after uncrating the engine at the shop, the only thing the mechanic did to to check the engine, was drop the oil pan to verify the crank and took off the valve covers to check the rockers. He put it back together, added everything needed to start it (i.e. starter, carb, flex plate, etc), and ran it. That's when the hose popped off. They stopped, fixed it, and ran it again, then the water came up. That's when he (installer) called me to stop by the shop where i recorded the video. The mechanic says "builders fault", builder says "mechanics fault".

The heads themselves were not removed prior to the water coming up, so the gaskets were what the engine builder put on.

I had asked why the fan on the engine run stand wasn't moving during the engine test, his response was "...when the engine is only 100 Degrees there's no need for [the fan] to be on." he assured me that that there was no possible way the engine overheated in the 10-15mins that it was running.

that's when he took off the head, sent it to his machine shop to test it, where it tested positive for a crack. Now, I have to send the head back to the engine builder, who said they will machine and send me a new head.

that's where I am at now with the engine.