User Name
Password

Old 08-16-16, 11:44PM   #16
JSPONT

I like to add a relay to the pump.
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 02:20AM   #17
1967pontiac

Here is the regulator. I will try the flow test.

1967pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 02:26AM   #18
1967pontiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanone View Post
1967, have you stuck your carb feed lines in an empty jug and actually tested how much fuel that you are getting in 30 seconds? Also, what size needle and seats do you have in the bowls? Make sure that you have the vent whistles installed in your metering blocks. Another thing to test, and goes with testing the output of the pump, is how you have the pump wired. Do you have large enough wire and good voltage to the pump? These are just a few things to check. Good luck.

Is the regulator on the pump turned up to max pressure?
I will try flowing it and see. Still have to check what size needle and seat. wiring worked fine for the last pump I had. It was a dead head set up thought I would try the return setup.

Thanks for the ideas..
Old 08-17-16, 11:26AM   #19
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Red face

I run a 500 gph Magnum pump with a return like yours. I run 1/2" to the front and a 3/8" to the old line on top of my stock tank. I run 24 lbs (will go to 28 lbs) to the front and reg it down to 6.5 and never any issues. Even when I ran 8.90's on street tires and a fogger with the same 1/2" line. Been faithful for over 15 years and no voltage reg either.

I have also seen .... Check your voltage and total timing as weak voltage can result in the same deal. I freshened up my motor once and went to time it and after 2 weeks of issues the balancer had moved. How, when why, I don't know but was a freaky deal for 2 weeks. Same deal loss of power in the upper rpm and gear ranges.

https://www.facebook.com/kensautomachineshop/
Pontiac Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 12:12PM   #20
meanone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967pontiac View Post
I will try flowing it and see. Still have to check what size needle and seat. wiring worked fine for the last pump I had. It was a dead head set up thought I would try the return setup.

Thanks for the ideas..
I was thinking about the second problem where your car falls on its face within five feet. This problem sounds like you need secondary jet extensions if you don't have them. Your wiring is probably alright, but your pump should be wired with 8 gauge wire with a relay like JS said if it's a longer run and no smaller than 10 gauge otherwise. The larger pump will draw more amps and will not perform like it should if it isn't getting enough. I'm with the Dude on the return style system not being your problem. If you test everything and nothing is found maybe look at the pickup in the tank to make sure that it isn't being uncovered. Ok, that's about all that I can think of right now! Lol!
meanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 05:59PM   #21
1967pontiac

Quote:
I was thinking about the second problem where your car falls on its face within five feet. This problem sounds like you need secondary jet extensions if you don't have them. Your wiring is probably alright, but your pump should be wired with 8 gauge wire with a relay like JS said if it's a longer run and no smaller than 10 gauge otherwise. The larger pump will draw more amps and will not perform like it should if it isn't getting enough. I'm with the Dude on the return style system not being your problem. If you test everything and nothing is found maybe look at the pickup in the tank to make sure that it isn't being uncovered. Ok, that's about all that I can think of right now! Lol!

Keep in mind that only happens if the car is parked (or shut off) for a short time, I get in it, start up, back up, start going and attempt a burnout. If I go down the road a few miles then stop and blast thru the gears it will spin all the way thru 1st, all the way thru 2nd and shift into 3rd start spinning and run out of gas or whatever is happening. And yes gas tank is full.

I have the pump wired with 10 gauge wire from a switch but it would be real easy now to put in a relay. Just moved battery to trunk so it is right above pump basically. Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.

Tonight if I get time I am going to try flowing the line for 30 seconds and see how much fuel it pumps and what the fuel pressure does. Also check what size needle and seat came in it.
Old 08-18-16, 02:03AM   #22
1967pontiac

So tonight I pulled the dual feed line off the carb and fed it into a gas can and ran it for 30 seconds. Obviously no pressure on the gauge as it was basically free flowing and in 30 seconds I ended up with right at about a gallon of gas.

needle and seats in the primary and secondary are 110.
Old 08-18-16, 03:08AM   #23
Gach
Administrator

Humm? Sounds like your getting plenty of fuel to the regulator.
Old 08-18-16, 11:17AM   #24
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967pontiac View Post
So tonight I pulled the dual feed line off the carb and fed it into a gas can and ran it for 30 seconds. Obviously no pressure on the gauge as it was basically free flowing and in 30 seconds I ended up with right at about a gallon of gas.

needle and seats in the primary and secondary are 110.
Those needles are fine.

https://www.facebook.com/kensautomachineshop/
Pontiac Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-16, 02:15PM   #25
meanone

Sounds fine so far. You can take it out on an empty road in the country somewhere and run through the gears again. When it does it again shut everything off and check to see if the bowls have fuel in them. If the pickup in the tank is good you may want to look at tring a different coil or something. It's hard to tell what's going on without being there. Maybe try leaving the gas cap off and making a run.
Old 08-18-16, 05:02PM   #26
1967pontiac

Quote:
Sounds fine so far. You can take it out on an empty road in the country somewhere and run through the gears again. When it does it again shut everything off and check to see if the bowls have fuel in them. If the pickup in the tank is good you may want to look at tring a different coil or something. It's hard to tell what's going on without being there. Maybe try leaving the gas cap off and making a run.
I will try the gas cap. empty road in the country is no problem. I live 20 miles out in the country. Nearest neighbor is a mile away but I also have to drive 2 miles on the dirt to get to pavement...that is kind of a bitch. But then wide open roads to do what I want everywhere...
Old 08-20-16, 03:29AM   #27
1967pontiac

Well when I put my carb back together I took it apart and blew everything out real good and when putting it back together I checked the power valve with another I had with some parts a friend gave me that no longer has a holley carb. The older power valve looks like a lot better quality piece and has more holes for fuel than the new one so I changed it out. I then checked the stock vent line and it was plugged. Also had a non vented cap on the tank. I went for a test ride and left the gas cap almost off and now have the vent line cleaned....both problems have went away. Car runs great now all the way thru the gears at any time. Saweeeet...thank you all for your ideas. Fuel problem fixed...now ready to add the nitrous sitting on the garage floor..
Old 08-20-16, 04:35AM   #28
Gach
Administrator

Great ! Thanks for letting us know
Old 08-20-16, 05:50AM   #29
meanone

Happy motoring!