PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Proven Engine Combinations
User Name
Password

Proven Engine Combinations Engine combinations, and the resultant HP and/or E.T.s

sponser links

Old 02-09-14, 07:05AM   #1
siege

Default E head question

Hey there guys it has been awhile since I have been on here and I have a couple questions about E performer rpm heads and my engine combo? I am building a .30 over 455 with ross flat top pistons eagle rods stock crank and block I also picked up 4 bolt main caps and I am going to have the block filled up to the bottom of the soft plug holes. So on to the question my original plan was to pick up some kre hp heads but founds are not allowing me to now my budget is pretty much stock out of the box performer rpm heads 72cc how do you guys think these will work with my motor I am thinking the worst here intake is a victor 4150 flange and I have not picked up a cam yet Please help lol

P.S. the car will be street strip on the bottle
thanks again
siege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 12:10PM   #2
Steve C
Verified User

I think you will find the 72 cc chambers will result in to much compression.
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 02:04PM   #3
Gach
Administrator

Are you thinking solid roller cam or hyd cam.
Old 02-09-14, 02:06PM   #4
Gach
Administrator

A nice hyd with out box e heads will make right around 500 hp with that intake and carb. You planing running pump gas.
Old 02-09-14, 02:41PM   #5
Steve C
Verified User

Out of the box Performer RPM heads work well with the Fel-Pro 1233 intake gasket with only slight modifications to the port opening at the corners. That gasket has a port opening about 1.180" tall. Keep in mind the Victor intake port exit size is taller, about 2.100". To do it right they should be port matched.

Also out of the box 'stock' valvetrain components from Edelbrock can be limited for some cam applications. Installed height and/or valvespring pressure, quality of the valves and springs are limited. No big solid roller cams
Old 02-09-14, 03:28PM   #6
siege

Hey thank you guys um I was worried about port size for heads and intake As far as compression I was not too worried about that because I am in the process of switching over to E85 I was looking at going with a hydraulic roller cam original plan was like 270/280with an app of around 650 to 725 but now obviously I think I'm going to have to rethink that, application
Old 02-09-14, 03:45PM   #7
Gach
Administrator

Nice hyd roller…E-85…perfect. they make hyd rollers up to .650 lift. Something in the 236/246 @ .050 range would be good 650 lift. Anywhere from 500-575 hp be my guess.
Old 02-09-14, 04:36PM   #8
siege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Nice hyd roller…E-85…perfect. they make hyd rollers up to .650 lift. Something in the 236/246 @ .050 range would be good 650 lift. Anywhere from 500-575 hp be my guess.
Thanks gach how much work to the stock E heads would i need to to do yo make that type of power I know the obvious is springs any type of porting needed? Also if I can swing it i have emailed Dave at SD about there 325cfm heads just might be able to get them. In your opinion if I can swing it are they worth it or should I just pick up stock E heads and build from there?
Old 02-09-14, 09:24PM   #9
Gach
Administrator

I would buy them from SD, you don't need 325 heads to make 500 hp, but will need 325 head to make 600-650. He also has a good hyd roller that will get you there either 500-650.
Old 02-09-14, 11:34PM   #10
siege

Hey thanks again Gach I would love to reach 600 HP NA with out the bottle is your estimate crank horsepower or to the wheels
Old 02-09-14, 11:55PM   #11
Steve C
Verified User

Example....

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co..._engine_build/

Similar but more cam... many years ago I did a 4.210" stroke 462cid combo with '310 cfm' 87cc Edelbrock heads (about 227cc intake runner volume), a very low 9.7 compression (not by design, a mistake !), Victor intake, HP950 carb and a 254/254-108 XE solid roller and it made 600 hp at 6000 rpm on the dyno.
Old 02-10-14, 12:11AM   #12
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Example....

Similar but more cam... many years ago I did a 4.210" stroke 462cid combo with '310 cfm' 87cc Edelbrock heads (about 227cc intake runner volume), a very low 9.7 compression (not by design, a mistake !), Victor intake, HP950 carb and a 254/254-108 XE solid roller and it made 600 hp at 6000 rpm on the dyno.
That was a nice little motor, if I remember correctly you went a 10.80 in your Bird.
Old 02-10-14, 12:32AM   #13
siege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Example....

Nice reading this type of story makes be feel better about needing to switch to the E head I am just hoping that I can swing the 325 SD heads other wise it stock E's until I can afford to ship them off some where but even at that if I could make 500 horsepower to the wheels with stock rpm E heads I would be satisfied for a little while lol
Old 02-10-14, 12:51AM   #14
Gach
Administrator

If you haven't bought the e-heads already, buy them from SD in stock forum. Reason I'm saying that is Dave will make sure they are right. With a stock e head you'll have absolutely no problem making 500 hp it's be done with little hyd cams. Can't remember if it was Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine, but the did a who build using a stock e-head with hyd cam and it made 500 hp.

The article was great and gave great detail on cam specs. I'll see if I can find it for you. It's sort of a blue print on how to.
Old 02-10-14, 01:45AM   #15
siege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
If you haven't bought the e-heads already, buy them from SD in stock forum. Reason I'm saying that is Dave will make sure they are right. With a stock e head you'll have absolutely no problem making 500 hp it's be done with little hyd cams. Can't remember if it was Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine, but the did a who build using a stock e-head with hyd cam and it made 500 hp.

The article was great and gave great detail on cam specs. I'll see if I can find it for you. It's sort of a blue print on how to.
That would be awesome i would appreciate that I am going definitely talk to Dave