PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 12-24-06, 12:15AM   #1
72 LeMans
PZ Pimp Daddy

Default Interior Dying

Have a white interior in the car. Want to change to black. Can I dye everything? What to use? Seats and armrests?
Old 12-24-06, 10:47AM   #2
A. X.

Asuming everything is vinyl, then yes you can. You should use a top of the line product if you're going to do this, though. Most of the major paint manufacturers will have vinyl dyes in thier line. PPG, Dupont, whatever. Just don't skimp on the dye, and you'll be happy with the results. Dying cloth is a bit more difficult.
Old 12-24-06, 12:45PM   #3
sprint250
Moteesuh

Default Ventilation

Use plenty of ventilation and NO SOMKING or open flames.

Will definitely have a NEW CAR kind of smell when done.

Old 12-26-06, 03:34PM   #4
flynbrian

SEM.....The brand kicks butt....It will work on vinyl or plastic but it needs a adhesion promotor in order to work well on plastic.....It will handle a young kid banging stuff into it left and right....I saw it happen on a friends car. I also saw a vinyl kitchen chair that had been orange....They wiped it down and sprayed it black....13 years ago.....after years of wear and tear the vinyl itself is all torn up but the SEM is still holding up!!
I bought a small army of stuff for the puke green to black interior swap in my 74 Monte Carlo. I bought new black carpet and new black dash and rear sundeck panel but the rest is vinyl die.
The SEM actually slightly melts the material as it is sprayed on....biting into it almost on a welding level...It doesn't bite into plastic making need for the promotor....I have heard good things about Duplicolor even, if you do it textbook perfect.

Happy spraying, and oh its between $9-$12 a can for the good stuff....Pay any more and your getting ripped off....You can buy it also in gallons to be sprayed out of a paint gun too....Try your autobody supply store first. They will be the cheapest....They are for me!
flynbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 12:53AM   #5
72 LeMans
PZ Pimp Daddy

Thanks guys! I feel better about doing it. Will check Napa tomorrow
Old 02-04-07, 12:01AM   #6
Dan Starnes

Great advice above. I learned from an old timer to wipe down the surfaces with lacquer thinner prior to spraying. Dont drown the stuff, but wipe it down and that causes the material to soften, and hold newly sprayed product better. Has worked for me great.
Dan Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 11:26AM   #7
flynbrian

The laquer thinner works ok on plastics and vinyls but please remember not to use it for real paint on car exterior surfaces.....The paint will fall off later. On metal the thinner leaves a residue....But it wont affect plastics....I would like to know if enamel reducer would maybe work better? I have never tried to use any reducer on vinyl, But it doesn't leave that whitish residue that L.T. leaves behind.
Old 02-06-07, 01:33PM   #8
7T4TA

Would you use the same process if you wanted to "freshen" up say a kick-panel or sail-panel with the same color?
Old 02-06-07, 02:48PM   #9
flynbrian

Yes I would. I did the dashboard surface on my 69' firebird that way....It was faded and had a "Brittle" look too it. So I cleaned it and sprayed it then I went back with Testors model paint and outlined all the gauges so that they looked like new.....Then since it was plastic I used some Krylon custom candy clear and sprayed it......Looks awesome! It now has a permanent glossy look like I just cleaned it everyday!
Old 02-07-07, 01:22PM   #10
7T4TA

Testor's paint eh, good tip!
Old 03-02-07, 08:26PM   #11
Corey

Denatured alchohol is what ive always used to clean and prep vynil and leather before dying or painting. I use a brand called bulldawg adhesion promoter for plastics.
Old 03-03-07, 04:34AM   #12
Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbrian View Post
SEM.....The brand kicks butt....It will work on vinyl or plastic but it needs a adhesion promotor in order to work well on plastic.....It will handle a young kid banging stuff into it left and right....I saw it happen on a friends car. I also saw a vinyl kitchen chair that had been orange....They wiped it down and sprayed it black....13 years ago.....after years of wear and tear the vinyl itself is all torn up but the SEM is still holding up!!
I bought a small army of stuff for the puke green to black interior swap in my 74 Monte Carlo. I bought new black carpet and new black dash and rear sundeck panel but the rest is vinyl die.
The SEM actually slightly melts the material as it is sprayed on....biting into it almost on a welding level...It doesn't bite into plastic making need for the promotor....I have heard good things about Duplicolor even, if you do it textbook perfect.

Happy spraying, and oh its between $9-$12 a can for the good stuff....Pay any more and your getting ripped off....You can buy it also in gallons to be sprayed out of a paint gun too....Try your autobody supply store first. They will be the cheapest....They are for me!
Amen brother!!! SEM is the best........
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 11:34PM   #13
thethirstymoose

I can tell you from some experience, I am dying my interor, not changing the color but dying new panels, I am replacing some old faded ones, also brittle, I was never told about the adhesion promoter, so I just cleaned everything real good, and sprayed it with SEM portola red, this is the closest match I could get to the interior, but I like it better,anyways the paint peels off, no matter how well you clean it...so I talked with the people at SEM and they recommend this:
clean with SEM soap, and clean it with a scotchgard pad (kinda scuff it a little) wash with water and dry
next clean with a plastic and vinyl prep, it will dry quickly, but be sure to wash and wipe down extra good.
next apply an adhesion promoter, (I used bulldog, from wal mart) apply in mist coats, apply 1 coat let dry about 10 min. apply another coat let dry, and apply the SEM dye in mist coats, you might need about 3-4 coats, then I applied 2 coats of low lustre clear coat, hopefully this will hold up
thethirstymoose is offline   Reply With Quote