PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 03-02-07, 07:35PM   #1
Ragtop
Born to Run

Default What would you rather see

What would you rather see on a nice driver car, original parts that may be a little scratched and banged up or new repo parts that donít really look like original?
I purchased a new (Repo) front spoiler and the Radiator filler cover for my 70 GOAT. The filler doesnít look anything like my original one, and the spoiler looks like cheap hard plastic. What do you do?
Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 08:02PM   #2
ManicMechanic

Get a refund or pawn them off to a civic owner and leave it the way it is. Has more character that way.
ManicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 12:23AM   #3
Poncho1961

I have to agree with Manic about keeping the originals if you have them. Especially on a driver. The exception would be if your original are really trashy looking. Unless you show the car, most casual passerbys will not notice that the spoiler is incorrect and the radiator cover would not be seen unless the hood is up. As long as it functions as it should.....Are they both that bad that you can't replace them with the incorrect just long enough to restore the right ones?
Old 03-10-07, 10:22AM   #4
FIREDup6975

Keep the originals unless you can find nice NOS stuff. I waited 13 years to put my 69 Bird back together to avoid reproduction junk! Paid dearly for original parts to replace my worn out ones, but in my opinion my car was worth the wait. I still need a good chrome trim piece along the passengers side of my windshield. Mine is creased in one place and cannot be fixed to suit me. I'm very particular as this is a show car, so I take a hit on that at every show I attend, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Still looking for a good piece.
Old 03-10-07, 02:59PM   #5
GTOWAGON

if you want an original car keep all the original parts cars are only original once. In my oponion any car that has had major body ar mechanical parts replaced even if it is NOS parts makes the car no longer original not that it can't be a beautiful car but it's no longer original. That being said i have had NOS parts that fit like crap and had repro parts that were better than the originals or the NOS parts and vice versa. Some problems with NOS parts are that back in the day dealers would get a fender there would be a problem with it so they would call the distribution center who would credit them and send them another, at this point the dealer was supposed tho destroy the part that was bad, The problem is that instead of destroying it they just stuck it in their storage and years later sold it, the part still wont work just like it didn't when itwas new. this dosent happen all the time but i have seen it more and more.The other NOS part problem is the molds and dies that are used to make the parts wear over time GM certainly isn't going to make new ones for 20 or 30 year old cars so the parts get worse and worse over time a good example is emblems compare one made in the 60's to one made in the 80's and you will see what i mean.
1975 Grandville convert
GTOWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 12:20AM   #6
thethirstymoose

it's always nice to see nice new shiny parts, and I have a 81 turbo T/A most of the parts i've replaced are pretty exact with the old ones, but if your old parts can be cleaned up, beings the new ones don't look the same, I might consider using the old parts and try to restore then a little

Last edited by thethirstymoose : 03-11-07 at 12:21AM. Reason: mis spell
thethirstymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 03:31AM   #7
Spaudude

Your the only one whose opinion matters. What do you want it to look like and how much work will it take to the orig.'s good compared to the after market?
Time is money and we all have a limited supply of both.
Good luck.
Spaudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 12:17PM   #8
TropicDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop View Post
What would you rather see on a nice driver car, original parts that may be a little scratched and banged up or new repo parts that donít really look like original?
I purchased a new (Repo) front spoiler and the Radiator filler cover for my 70 GOAT. The filler doesnít look anything like my original one, and the spoiler looks like cheap hard plastic. What do you do?
My Can am at present is mostly original because I'm acquiring parts and fixing the things that aren't really visible...but I have no qualms about using repro parts or NOS, or even modifying when it seems warranted. For example, the CA didn't come with power locks, but it'll have them down the road. Repro switches, modern servos, key-fobbed and everything. It'll look OEM. I figure on one thing. It's my car, it's unlikely to be sold, so I'm arranging it the way I want it. Same goes with the tunes. The dash has already been hacked so I have no fear of putting in a modern unit, with CD/MP3 capability (and even a flash drive port!) and upgrading the speakers as they, too, won't be seen.

In the final analysis, it's YOUR car, set it up the way YOU want it.

1977 Can Am (T/A 6.6, AC/PW, posi, in Buckskin)
2005 Montana SV6
=================================================
Why do they call it Port St. Lucie, when there's no port around here?
TropicDave is offline   Reply With Quote