PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 04-02-19, 05:24PM   #16
Mr.Pontiac

Opps sorry guys, ill eat this one
Mr.Pontiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 02:40AM   #17
sprint250
Moteesuh

Speed Master is out of Australia.
They absorbed the failing Pro Comp Electronics business here in the USA
Pro Comp was trying to cut in on MSD with imported electronic ignition components and distributors.
They Love U Longtime.
Lots of quality control issues there with the ignition systems (anyone still running their gear?Anyone admit to buying it?).
Pro comp was also introducing a line of cylinder heads & manifolds but same QC issues arose.
That was one of the nails in their coffin (anyone still running those heads ,was mostly Chevy stuff?).
Not sure if the Pro Comp brand name is still alive in Australia or got totally retired.
Look at the current Speed Master catalog to find out.
The Speed Master Pontiac manifolds look like they are from the same patterns as the ones that were used to make branded merchandise for Tomahawk & Professional Products (Hurricane).
I compared photos of all three above brands and they are identical except for the cast in logos.

Northwind , Crosswind ,Shootout ,Breakwind ,Which ever way the wind blows.

In the Speed Master catalog,borrowing from Edelbrock's "air gap" term for their Chevy & Ford manifolds that get the runners separated from the valley ,they also refer to the Pontiac manifold as an "Air Gap Manifold" .
Yeah no shit geniuses! Pontiac designed it that way back in '55 LOL
Anything to hype the product.

So go ahead and step up and buy their East Asia "just as good as" heads.
Maybe,hopefully, they have fixed the QC problems that were around 6+ years ago.
Check on some of the AUS and NZ boards to see what the Aussies and Kiwis are saying about the products.
Not sure if Speed Master is buying blank castings and finishing them in Australia or they are getting them finished /branded/boxed direct from the manufacturer.
Speed Master is a naming sponsor at some of the Australian National Drag Racing Events like Summit is here so they must be makin' $$$$$$$.
Old 04-03-19, 12:24PM   #18
Gach
Administrator

Good info
Old 04-03-19, 01:02PM   #19
thomas flaherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint250 View Post
Speed Master is out of Australia.
They absorbed the failing Pro Comp Electronics business here in the USA
Pro Comp was trying to cut in on MSD with imported electronic ignition components and distributors.
They Love U Longtime.
Lots of quality control issues there with the ignition systems (anyone still running their gear?Anyone admit to buying it?).
Pro comp was also introducing a line of cylinder heads & manifolds but same QC issues arose.
That was one of the nails in their coffin (anyone still running those heads ,was mostly Chevy stuff?).
Not sure if the Pro Comp brand name is still alive in Australia or got totally retired.
Look at the current Speed Master catalog to find out.
The Speed Master Pontiac manifolds look like they are from the same patterns as the ones that were used to make branded merchandise for Tomahawk & Professional Products (Hurricane).
I compared photos of all three above brands and they are identical except for the cast in logos.

Northwind , Crosswind ,Shootout ,Breakwind ,Which ever way the wind blows.

In the Speed Master catalog,borrowing from Edelbrock's "air gap" term for their Chevy & Ford manifolds that get the runners separated from the valley ,they also refer to the Pontiac manifold as an "Air Gap Manifold" .
Yeah no shit geniuses! Pontiac designed it that way back in '55 LOL
Anything to hype the product.

So go ahead and step up and buy their East Asia "just as good as" heads.
Maybe,hopefully, they have fixed the QC problems that were around 6+ years ago.
Check on some of the AUS and NZ boards to see what the Aussies and Kiwis are saying about the products.
Not sure if Speed Master is buying blank castings and finishing them in Australia or they are getting them finished /branded/boxed direct from the manufacturer.
Speed Master is a naming sponsor at some of the Australian National Drag Racing Events like Summit is here so they must be makin' $$$$$$$.
Yes I was wrong I was thinking they were pro comp made in China. Reading about it on PY there maybe hope for them Australia company. Australia company’s make other products for our Pontiac (Rollmaster timing set Romac balancer)
thomas flaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 07:46PM   #20
Gach
Administrator

So their not made in China, that some what good news
Old 04-04-19, 02:32AM   #21
sprint250
Moteesuh

LOU,
Not saying anything good or bad about the company.
They move a lot of product these days.
HERE IS SPEEDMASTER'S MISSION/BUSINESS STATEMENT.
https://speedmaster79.com/company-overview/
Notice on the URL when you click on the link that it reads in the pane
Speedmaster (procomp electro....(US)
They have offices in Sydney ,Los Angeles (old Procomp HQ?) & Shanghai (China)
Their blocks are "machined in USA" They do not state where they are cast.
They say they make their products in their "own facilities" . Well if they own the facility or are "partnered" with one , no matter where it is located in the world that is a true statement.
What they do not say is "we make it ALL right here in Australia mate".
They are "Global".
They may have some actual R&D /Prototyping- manufacturing facilities or product finishing facilities there in Australia but there are no pictures of their manufacturing facilities/process wherever they may be in the world.AREA 51 maybe?
Most companies like to display that kind of information .

Australia over the last 100 years has cranked out a lot of high quality parts for everything so why should they not display that ?

Speedmaster claims & looks to be doing quite well now and says they have overcome their QC problems of the past.I hope they have.
They are direct sell on Ebay and possibly now on Amazon too. No third party retail sellers.
Procomp brand is not seen in their current catalog of offerings.

Rods
Pistons
Crankshafts
Bare engine blocks (machined in USA)
Crate Engine(s)- SBC is their only offering and is sown as being currently out of stock.
Rotating Assemblies
Fuel Injection (FAST)
Fuel system components
Manifolds
Drive train components
Tools
Branded gear

Last edited by sprint250 : 04-04-19 at 02:42AM.
sprint250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 02:37AM   #22
KrisR

I know Peter, who owns Pro Comp/Speed Master. Most of the electrical stuff is made in China and quite a bit of his engine parts are cast and rough machined in China then finish machined either in the California or his huge factory in Narellan in Sydney.

I've used quite a few of his intake manifolds on various builds and even have his Tomahawk copy down stairs for EFI. It actually ran really well when I did some minor tweaking to it. Even Luhn is using them for their EFI packages --> https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...&postcount=153

I would say the manifolds are no different to a Weiand(China) or Edelbrock(USA) in terms of quality, in that they still need finishing/clean up before they're "ready to go" IMO. I had a play with a pair of his CNC cylinder heads for a cathedral port I put onto an LS2 and they needed a little bit of work. None of the valves seats, spring seats or guides were the same height, so we spent a day fixing all of that up, setting up the springs and put the motor back together - honestly though you could of just run them and be none the wiser. We never dyno'd the car because it's his daily but after I road tuned it, it will powerskid for at least 30-40ft through the gears. Very fun car!
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 05:50PM   #23
badbird68
Ram Racing N/A

Ehttfmf
4.76 146.91
3100 lbs

THANKS TO
RON AT RHODES CUSTOM AUTO
BUTLER PERFORMANCE
JIM HOSTLER TRANSMISSIONS
BES RACING ENGINES
MARCELLA MANIFOLDS

EHTTFMF!
badbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 08:35PM   #24
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird68 View Post
Ehttfmf
That’s the truth !
Old 04-08-19, 08:37PM   #25
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR View Post
I know Peter, who owns Pro Comp/Speed Master. Most of the electrical stuff is made in China and quite a bit of his engine parts are cast and rough machined in China then finish machined either in the California or his huge factory in Narellan in Sydney.

I've used quite a few of his intake manifolds on various builds and even have his Tomahawk copy down stairs for EFI. It actually ran really well when I did some minor tweaking to it. Even Luhn is using them for their EFI packages --> https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...&postcount=153

I would say the manifolds are no different to a Weiand(China) or Edelbrock(USA) in terms of quality, in that they still need finishing/clean up before they're "ready to go" IMO. I had a play with a pair of his CNC cylinder heads for a cathedral port I put onto an LS2 and they needed a little bit of work. None of the valves seats, spring seats or guides were the same height, so we spent a day fixing all of that up, setting up the springs and put the motor back together - honestly though you could of just run them and be none the wiser. We never dyno'd the car because it's his daily but after I road tuned it, it will powerskid for at least 30-40ft through the gears. Very fun car!
So about same quality you’d get from Kauffman, Butler.