PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 04-01-19, 12:20AM   #106
keith
Stubborn old goat

The Pro-Comps I have for Chev don't have any of those issues I believe. 400$. Was thinking just rename SD455 and make a size in Pontiac dimension. Don't need a zillion sizes like the BBC rods available they probably don't sell many of. Bet they'd sell quite a few.
keith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 06:23PM   #107
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
You should paraphrase that with my opinion is. Itís not set in stone that itís a better rod. Itís just your opinion
Just got off the phone with Ed at Molnar and Asked him the differences between theirs and Eagles. Quite a few. One is Molnars do not go to wholesalers, Summit, Jegs ect who all make their cut. If they were marketed like the Eagles they would cost significantly more.
The 4340 is a better grade of 4340. Its not all the same. They do not go to the lowest bidder for steel and foundry. Very carefully chosen.
The design is better. Eagles and Scat have beams that are as wide or wider than the pin. That is incorrect. When H beams fail they shove the pin down the middle of the beam like splitting wood. The thin wide beams turn wavy like bacon and the rod is done. Molnars are narrower than the pin end and thicker.
Molnars ARP bolts get full even thread engagement down the length of the threads. I noticed mine have oil holes on both sides of the pin.
The Eagles, Scats, Manley,s ect are copy of copys.
Molnar from the ground up is its own rod.
There has been one Power Adder rod broken. But the rod did not break first, the piston pin ripped out of the piston. Then snapped the rod but the big end still spun perfectly on the crank.They have had 2 engines loose oil pumps from the shaft braking. Everything got hot real fast, engine seized up. The rods turned not blue from heat, but black. They were not sprung or bent and the caps came off and went back on.
To date they have had zero rod related failures with the Power Adder Rod. A lot of Top Alcohol dragsters use them in 2300HP blown BBCs. (it would be utterly foolish to try that with a Eagle)
When a racer made 1600HP in a twin turbo LS they thought forward and made the Power adder+ rod. Even though they ran their crank and PA rods for 2 full seasons which came back looking new the redesigned the rod. The PA+ rod is heavier yet again. The pistons are getting very thick and heavy to stand up to all the boost and pins are getting 1/4" thick. Rods have to be beefed up to not get pulled in half.
So, not the same rod, better steel, better bolts and are getting constantly redesigned even though their track record is extremely good.
Straight up asked them if they consider their rod in the same class as Crower, Oliver and Callies and he said every bit as good or better. Did not ask about Carrillo and some of the exotic steel stuff. The Pro Stock guys run steel rods so light like 500 grams that they have to de clutch and shut the engine off at the stripe or they will tear in half. Whole different world.
I thinks its one reason drag racing at all levels is taking popularity hits. Its just crazy expensive and the average guy can not relate. In the 80s and 90s there were regular guys in the top levels where it was not stupid money.
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 07:41PM   #108
Gach
Administrator

Let me guess their good to 7500 rpms at 1200 hp.
Old 04-01-19, 08:40PM   #109
turbo louie

Broke my oil pump drive at 6500 rpm this summer. Took the engine apart changed the bearings and oil pump drive put it back together, beat on it the rest of the summer and still doing so . Guess what ??? EAGLE RODS handled all of that making 200hp per cylinder ! Theres nothing wrong with Eagle rods!! There good rods!!
Old 04-01-19, 08:53PM   #110

I lost a Eagle rod once, to this day canít figure out were it went. I think the dog ate it.
1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 09:37PM   #111
turbo louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320 View Post
I lost a Eagle rod once, to this day canít figure out were it went. I think the dog ate it.
Well at least it ant broke..
Old 04-01-19, 10:24PM   #112
Gach
Administrator

They make good muffler clamps
Old 04-01-19, 10:40PM   #113
Dragncar

Quote:
Let me guess their good to 7500 rpms at 1200 hp.
Don't know Gach. The point I am trying to make is they simply are not in the same class as a Eagle or Scat. There are read differences.
I am not trying to say Eagles or Scats are bad rods, not in the least. I run a set like them right now and would have no problem using them in the 461 HP engine going together right now.
But no one uses them in a 2300HP blown engine. Thats the difference. They can take it.
Old 04-01-19, 11:48PM   #114
Gach
Administrator

A little birdie told me someone about to buy set of Molnar rods.
Old 04-02-19, 03:28PM   #115
Dragncar

Quote:
A little birdie told me someone about to buy set of Molnar rods.
I think it would be a wise move. You get a lot for you money.