> Aftermarket News & Products
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 10-02-07, 12:30PM   #1
Bob Maxi
Pontiac Nut

Thumbs up New Product for Pontiacs

Crank snout support for those running roots superchargers. Check out the ad in the parts for sale section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supporttopA.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	14056   Click image for larger version

Name:	supportside2A.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	14057  
Bob Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-07, 06:57PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

That is one trick piece, nice very nice.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 12:53AM   #3
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

Brian- Congratulations on getting a unique Pontiac piece to market. What alloy- 6061? 7075? 2024?
Pontiac Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 08:29AM   #4
Bob Maxi
Pontiac Nut

It's either 6061 or 7075...I'd have to check with the machinist.
Old 10-03-07, 12:30PM   #5
GET IT ON
Pontiholic

Hmmm, new block, CV-1 heads, 12-71, buzzard catcher, Yeah, I think the new parts like this are needed.

Congrads Brian, that's a nice looking piece.
GET IT ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 01:44PM   #6
danzig

Yeah! that's great. Why in the hell hasn't this been done years ago? I have a main support designed,but, try and convince any pontiac vendor to make one, or even be open minded enough to think it's usefull for the stock blocks. Good Luck!
danzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 03:19PM   #7
Bob Maxi
Pontiac Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzig View Post
Yeah! that's great. Why in the hell hasn't this been done years ago? I have a main support designed,but, try and convince any pontiac vendor to make one, or even be open minded enough to think it's usefull for the stock blocks. Good Luck!
Well, in my case, I knew I would need one for myself, driving a 14-71 blower. I figured, why not make it available for others? Granted, it is a very limited market, and as such these supports will be made on a per order basis, but it's still a much needed part.
Old 10-03-07, 04:13PM   #8
Johnny406
Retired Army Boy

Great idea, glad to see someone with the -uts to bring a unique item to market.

81 T/A 350 sbc vortec heads 4 speed 3.42 posi
Johnny406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 10:50PM   #9
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

I think the mods should make a 'sticky' out of this.
Pontiac Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 05:33PM   #10
danzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxi View Post
Crank snout support for those running roots superchargers. Check out the ad in the parts for sale section.
Very nice work,thanks for sharing your ideas.
I wonder why other people running superchargers on a pontiac don't use one?
It could make the difference from a one run car that blows, to making several runs, and keeping the mains intact.
How about making a decent lifter bore brace, along with a main support?
I know you wouldn't need one with an IA2 block, but, there are several stock blocks still running.
Old 10-04-07, 07:32PM   #11
Bob Maxi
Pontiac Nut

Quote:
Very nice work,thanks for sharing your ideas.
I wonder why other people running superchargers on a pontiac don't use one?
It could make the difference from a one run car that blows, to making several runs, and keeping the mains intact.
How about making a decent lifter bore brace, along with a main support?
I know you wouldn't need one with an IA2 block, but, there are several stock blocks still running.
I don't see a real strong need, if any need, for such a support on a typical street blown Pontiac. Street blowers aren't stripped, and as such, are easier to turn over, placing less strain on the crank. They also are typically not spun that fast, usually around 1-1 or even underdriven as much as 10%. There's just not that much stress put on the crank.

Now, throw an 8-71 race blower at 40% over, or a 14-71 race blower with some overdrive on there and it's a whole new ballgame. Mike Cooper comes to mind...and the boys at KRE...hell, even Steve Barcak, to name a few. This brace will prevent, and likely eliminate, front bearing failures and snout/hub failures in applications like these.

As for a lifter bore brace, the Mega-Brace is already on the market, and in my opinion, the best one available.

As for a main cap girdle, I don't feel they're neccessary. A 2-bolt main with studs is capable of up to 600-HP, and 4-bolt mains up to about 750-HP...any more than that and you're in IA-2 block territory if you want reliability. I don't feel engineering a main cap girdle for a factory Pontiac block at these power levels is neccessary, and at power levels above these, the girdle is still not going to do much about keeping the cylinders banks from seperating (which is what splits them up the middle...like two 4-cylinder engines trying to seperate from one another).
Old 10-05-07, 12:39PM   #12
danzig

The mega brace does not cover all the lifter bores, unless you spend more money. KRE brace, at least does that. How does anyone know they work?

I have never heard of cylinder seperation causing block splitting.

A friends dad has a 65 gto 455,hyd. cam, 3500lbs and tri-power,runs 10.teens and may hit a high nine soon, the block they ran had developed stress cracks up the mains,but, the cylinders were not cracked, and it is bored over 0.060+.
Old 10-05-07, 02:08PM   #13
Bob Maxi
Pontiac Nut

Quote:
The mega brace does not cover all the lifter bores, unless you spend more money. KRE brace, at least does that. How does anyone know they work?

I have never heard of cylinder seperation causing block splitting.

A friends dad has a 65 gto 455,hyd. cam, 3500lbs and tri-power,runs 10.teens and may hit a high nine soon, the block they ran had developed stress cracks up the mains,but, the cylinders were not cracked, and it is bored over 0.060+.
Doesn't need to cover all lifter bores. The only ones that are exposed and without bracing from the block itself are the #2 and #6 intakes. Covering all of the lifter bore walls is fine, but the only ones that benefit are the ones mentioned. Any brace does nothing for the driver side lifter bores, because the thrust side is towards the cylinder.

Cylinder seperation...let me clarify as you misunderstood my original post. Think of any V8 as two four cylinder engines connected in the middle that are constantly trying to seperate from one another. This is what is happening from the forces of the reciprocating assembly...it's happening with all V8's, not just Pontiacs. This is why block material between the two cylinder banks is so critical, particularly in high HP applications. Pontiacs (and some Fords) are weak in this area in that the lifter galley is "open" and not cast solid (like on a Big Block Chevy for example). It's why Pontiac cast the R.A. V blocks with extra ribbing in the lifter galley. It's this seperation that causes blocks to crack up the middle between the crankshaft main saddles and the camshaft bearing bores. I never said anything about cracks developing in the cylinders, or between the cylinders, what I said was the two cylinder banks (driver side & passenger side) were constantly trying to seperate, which causes cracks up the middle.
Old 10-07-07, 08:27PM   #14
ec!

Bob Maxi how is the block trying to pull apart with the intake bolted to the heads pulling it together? The other question is if the cylinders banks are pulling apart then wouldnt the cracks be happen up at the cam tunnel and work their way down to the main instead of the other way around?

Anyway that is a very nice crank snout support you have made.
Old 10-08-07, 06:10PM   #15
Bob Maxi
Pontiac Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec! View Post
1.) Bob Maxi how is the block trying to pull apart with the intake bolted to the heads pulling it together? 2.) The other question is if the cylinders banks are pulling apart then wouldnt the cracks be happen up at the cam tunnel and work their way down to the main instead of the other way around?

Anyway that is a very nice crank snout support you have made.
1.) Yes.

2.) Harmonics are a funny thing, but they'll almost always form cracks over the path of least resistance (ie - wherever there is less meat in the casting).