User Name
Password

1958 - 1981 Pontiac Tech & Restoration Firebird - GTO - Fullsize

sponser links

Old 07-25-06, 10:26PM   #1
Taman
Spanky

Default Aluminum or Steel Driveshaft

I have a 4100 lb 75 TA that goes 11.0's @120mph on the stock driveshaft with slicks. Of my whole drivetrain, this is my weak link. I am buying a new trans and driveshaft. What type of material would be best. Aluminum or steel. The aluminum is lighter and will spool up faster but is it strong enough for a heavy F-body? I do mostly street driving but I do beat the snot out of my car. I worry about strength.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-06, 04:47PM   #2
hectore3

I have blown out my stock driveshaft before. I lean towards steel myself for high strength and reasonable cost. The trick set up I have seen with the import turbo guys is carbon fiber driveshafts. As strong or stronger than steel and half the weight of aluminum. Very pricey though. Speed costs money.
hectore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-06, 04:25PM   #3
flynbrian

I had my local chassis shop build me a steel .083" wall shaft with Brute force U-joints and a brand new slip yoke for about $200 I am very happy with it.

Odd story, My original 69' Driveshaft had the u-joints welded on like 15 degrees out of phase from each other. They said in 69' was the only year it was experimented with and the idea was to reduce vibration further but I guess it was unfounded and GM went away from it. So I still have the stocker laying in the garage. It had twisted the splines so bad in the yoke that it would not slip into my new Muncie.

If every ounce of you is about rear wheel horsepower I would get a carbon fiber or aluminum....But I am very happy with the price of my steel HD unit....And to hold it in my hand it didn't feel overly heavy.
flynbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 02:07AM   #4
Formula77
Tweety Jr.

Keep in mind that if you get a alumunum Drive shaft they are more prone to absorbing (twisting) Torque, they will generally keep their original form but will cause snap in your drive line as it unwinds.