> Member's Projects in progress
User Name
Password

Member's Projects in progress Show us what you're working on

sponser links

Old 04-10-16, 01:25PM   #1
1967pontiac

Default Growing driveline???

I have a weird problem with putting my car (1967 GTO) back together....took car apart a year ago to rebuild motor and install new clutch. Put motor back in last week. Same block I took out, same scattershield, same 4 speed trans. Only put in new motor mounts. I went to install driveline and it is now too long. Will not even go into yoke on rear end. I swapped motor mounts out to old ones and same problem. No other holes on block that will line up for motor mounts. Transmition and crossmember are in and everything there seemed to line up and is bolted in. Any ideas? Rear end was never removed. Block is a 70 455 and has other mount holes for newer and older mounts but only the 2 used match up to the mounts. Driveline input shaft slides all the way in and does not have anything inside it. I am stumped.
1967pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 01:45PM   #2
JSPONT

Do you mean you can not bolt in the drive shaft now? Make sure the box is against the scatter shield tight and it is not hung up on the ring. make sure you give the drive shaft a good push in to make sure its all the way in too.
How far off is it?
JSPONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 10:20PM   #3
1967pontiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Do you mean you can not bolt in the drive shaft now? Make sure the box is against the scatter shield tight and it is not hung up on the ring. make sure you give the drive shaft a good push in to make sure its all the way in too.
How far off is it?
I can slide the driveshaft on and hear a "thunk" when it bottoms out. Is all the way in tight. I even checked the other trans I have that has a yoke stuck into it to keep fluids in. It is in the same amount when bottomed out. Trans is against the scatter shield tight. Put all that together before slipping it in. When the driveshaft is in tight the universal hits on the pinion nut and won't go past it. I have owned this car 40 years this year and have had everything out and back in several times in the past and never a problem...this is a first for me. Cannot see a problem.
Old 04-10-16, 10:42PM   #4
JSPONT

I know this sounds crazy,check the motor mounts, make sure the front tabs are in front of the frame mount not behind it.
JSPONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 11:47PM   #5
1967pontiac

I keep checking motor mounts...seems like that is where the problem should be. Here are a few pics, couple fuzzy ones of the motor mount, 1 of crossmember bolted in place to the trans (everything seems to be in place there), one of the scatter shield, one of the trans tight and last one of where the driveshaft loop sits on the pinion nut.

Old 04-10-16, 11:48PM   #6
1967pontiac

Here is last image

Old 04-10-16, 11:58PM   #7
Gach
Administrator

Do you just add that scatter shield ? It seem like that adapter plate between shield and block, is taking up enough space, to not allow drive shaft to clear
Old 04-11-16, 12:02AM   #8
1967pontiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Do you just add that scatter shield ? It seem like that adapter plate between shield and block, is taking up enough space, to not allow drive shaft to clear
Scatter shield was put on 10 years ago. I put it back on just the way I took it off..
Old 04-11-16, 12:08AM   #9
1967pontiac

I could have the driveshaft shortened but with everything going back together the same way... it should fit?? When I put the scatter shield on it probably did move it back a little but I did not check it as it did fit in place. Now it is not close.
Old 04-11-16, 12:11AM   #10
Gach
Administrator

When you put the shield on 10 years ago were you able to bolt the driveshaft up up without any problem
Old 04-11-16, 12:14AM   #11
Gach
Administrator

It looks like a shield for a BBC and you use adapter plate to adapt to a Pontiac block.
Old 04-11-16, 12:37AM   #12
1967pontiac

It went on ok..came off ok as well as I remember. Scattershield is a Lakewood LAK-15100 for Pontiac and Olsmobile. The "adapter plate" you are looking at basically covers the opening on the bottom side and help with overall strength I believe. All the original bolt locations still bolt thru bell housing and into block. Thanks for suggestions and help...
Old 04-11-16, 12:42AM   #13
1967pontiac

Rear wheels are also in the air right now (supported from the frame) so I think when it sits on the ground it will be worse, right? I removed the driveshaft with the car on the ground and it came out ok.
Old 04-11-16, 10:58AM   #14
Mb125

Regardless
There should be a minimum of 3/4" free travel in each direction for the trans yoke with full weight of the car on the suspension.
Old 04-11-16, 01:00PM   #15
Gach
Administrator

If the motor mounts are in the right location on the motor ( and the apear to be ) then I'd have to say it's the shield that's courseing the polbem. Maybe being deeper which is moving the tranny back because of the depth of shield being deeper then a regular bell housing. It's the only thing it could be.

I would make sure the Trany is fully engaged into the clutch if there's away you can tell. If that's the case then shorting the drive shaft is the only solution. It's been a while sent you at last had it together.