Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Aftermarket News & Products
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 02-16-09, 12:48AM   #1
marks73ta

Default '73 Trans Am one piece fiberglass front end/clip.

I have a friend in a racecar fabrication shop that can build fiberglass parts. I asked him about a one piece front clip for my '73 TA. He said no problem. My question is, are there more people out there that would be interested in a reasonably priced one piece front clip for a '73 TA. Could probably be used for any 70-73 TA. This would be hood, spoilers, flares, grill, headlights, and side vents included. I may just front the money for the clip which I would use on mine then sell the front ends to interested buyers. I don't have a clue on price but I would possibly sell them for $400.00 per clip with shipping extra. That is if I can even do them for that price. This I think is a reasonable cost compared to $600 and $700 I'm seeing out there. My hood is cut up pretty bad so I would have to find a good original hood, the buyer would have to add a scoop or? themselves.
Am I way off on trying to do this or should I just crawl back into my hole and shut up? Please comments, questions, suggestions welcome. I am retired so this could be a small income adjuster for me but it is not my ultimate intention. Thanks for listening. Mark L
marks73ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 02:49AM   #2
conceptfab
Fabricator

$400 for the WHOLE front clip? You will soon be eating Ramen noodles at only two meals a day.
conceptfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 07:51PM   #3
marks73ta

conceptfab. I'm retired and have enough to live on but would like some real spending money so I could build them realitively cheaply. At this point I'm just not sure exactly what material costs are. I have to work this out. I'm more concerned whether I can produce a quality piece. I will not make junk and then try to sell it. That's why I have to decide whether I can afford to lay the money out up front in case it flops. Otherwise I will just buy an already available clip. I've already got a problem. I'm not sure I can use my front end for a mould since the hood is bastardized and the right front fender is cut out for my exhaust cutout. If we can work around that then I may be good to go. So far no replies on whether anyone is interested. Mark L
Old 02-16-09, 10:43PM   #4
JoeyD

As far as I know there are no glass fenders available for 2nd gen f bodies. I have only seen one piece fronts (70-73, 79-81). We were looking for a pair awhile back ended buying an old used pair of unknown brand. Did have a chance to gey a set for almost nothing, didnt want glass at the time though. They must have been made at sometime. I would think the fenders would sell pretty good buy them selves. But then again I am not into the one piece deal.
JoeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 06:16PM   #5
598TransAm
Pump Gas'r

Man $400 would be pretty cheap. If you can make a good product I would not sell it too cheap.
598TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 05:34AM   #6
conceptfab
Fabricator

I asked 400 bucks because you really can't even get a hood for that. And don't cheapen the product either, no one wants junk and if you price it like junk, it may be looked at that way. And I can understand about trying to offer a product to people saying they want it, but not many showing interest or people going elsewhere.
conceptfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 05:12PM   #7
marks73ta

Sorry guys, been off the air for a while trying to get my comp. working. I'm on my sons. I'm not sure where I'm at on this. I may just do it and front the money, using what I learned and accomplish for myself. I will not sell an inferior product to anyone. If I am happy with it and I can make/sell it for a reasonable price then I will pursue selling them. Right now not much interest. Which is OK and I understand many will be sitting back watching to see what happens. AND, I just may not do anythng so I do not expect anyone to wait on me. Thanks for everyones input on this. One of my problems will be getting a stock front end to pull a plug from. Mine is too modified (read that as screwed up heh) from my cutting and modifying over the years, to use for a plug. That will be my first hurddle. Mark L
Old 03-10-09, 10:01PM   #8
Cerebral

I know second Gen fenders would be realy nice to get ahold of the aftermarket doesnt make fenders for second gen birds. I would like some fiber glass Fenders. I have a 79 TA. Let me know if you guy will make just the fenders
Old 03-13-09, 12:13PM   #9
79bluebird
young & stupid

i would like a set of ta fenders also for 77-81
79bluebird is offline   Reply With Quote