PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
General
> New Pontiac Friends
User Name
Password

New Pontiac Friends NEW MEMBERS! - Introduce yourself, tell us about your car, and post a pic of it.

sponser links

Old 02-03-08, 01:46AM   #1
72blackbird

Default JAFO from SoCal

Greetings All,
Glad I can finally post (approved by a PZ forum admin person-thanks)- Just Another Firebird Owner, with a tired, battle-worn '72 Firebird. I bought the car back in 1988, and it was originally a 350 2bbl Esprit, had the dinky but cool 14" Honeycombs on it, cheap but shiny black paint and a decent interior.

It's my third 'Bird (first was a '78 L/E T/A, second a '74 T/A with a 455), not a T/A but the nicest Firebird I've owned. I took that nice little 'Bird cruiser and turned into the monster it is today- H-O Racing/ WS6 springs, 1 5/16" / 1" sawy bars, 4 wdb (WS6 T/A rear db), 15 x 8.5" alum rims w/ BFG Comp T/A VR4s, 406 with the usual stuff, 2 1/2" duals with loud Flowbies, etc. -a typical badass Firebird.

The car was at it's best back in 1994- I just repainted it, put a fresh 406 it, aluminum race seats, dash full of Ultralites- so cool I washed it just about every other day. It was also my daily driver back then, so I had to keep it tuned- not really a big deal for Firebird guy in love with his car. I had the 'big gun' and wasn't afraid to use it- small miracle I didn't lose my license with all the street/ freeway road racing I did back in those days.

Rough times followed ahead- engine fire, bad luck, and other factors brought a move to Oregon in 1995. Up there my car sat in the rain for 6 years, rusting and deteriorating.

I came back to Socal in '01 for work, got married in '02, but my poor Firebird still sat and waited, getting partially stripped by Ricer M/Fers who took my Ultralites (burned out Tach, cut a mech water temp gauge- dumba$$e$) but still intact overall. She finally got a home back in '05 when we moved here to Valencia, CA and bought a house. Mortgage payments, bills and the usual B/S keep me from resurrecting her, but I still have the faith- I will not sell her, and someday I will drive her again (maybe not daily, but weekly?).

Thanks for letting me tell my story- glad to be here.

Geno
72blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 04:41AM   #2
Gach
Administrator

Geno...that's what it all about...members like hearing everyones story
specially because most of us can relate to them...Welcome a board.

Sorry about the confusing on logging and being able to post..for
some reason the board picks out certain e-mail address and decides
not to approve the right away.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 05:23AM   #3
72blackbird

Gach,
Andy Mitchell sent me a link to your forum, and I after lurking for just a few minutes I came away very impressed by the level of understanding and practical knowledge you and the other PZ forum regulars have of Pontiac engines as well as engine theory.

I'm not a dedicated drag racer with $10k in my motor, but I do love Ponchos and hopefully I will learn alot just by being here and asking questions. I haven't built a motor in over eight years- I can see there have been alot of signifcant advances in classic Pontiac engine development- almost as if fellow Pontiac enthusiasts picked up the ball GM dropped over 30 years ago.

I'm looking forward to being a member here, and maybe being able to build up that 400 block I've got sitting in the garage.

Geno
Old 02-04-08, 01:52AM   #4
GET IT ON
Pontiholic

Welcome to Pontiac Zone. And we'll galdly help you turn that 400 into something mean !!!
GET IT ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 12:55PM   #5
72blackbird

Thanks- good to know I can come here and benefit from all of the wisdom and experience you builders/ racers share on this forum. I definitely will use the PZ forum as a resource for parts, info, and advice when the time comes for me to get that 400 going.

Geno
Old 02-04-08, 03:41PM   #6
mont1le

Great story Blackbird, it seems like we all go through that when we put our cars in the back burners for more important priorities I have been there myself, just hang in there things always come around.
mont1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:51PM   #7
72blackbird

Thanks - I'm sure my story is very similar to thousands of other Pontiac owners who let their pride and joy slip away, but I definitely have no intention of ending the story there. I plan to bring her back to her Glory Days again- wife willing or not.

My girlfriend (now wife) once commented to me "when are you going to get rid of that piece of junk?"- I told her "I've had that car long before I met you, I'll still have her when you're gone". She doesn't tell me that anymore, but I'm not a single guy either. My "new part every paycheck" days are over, but somehow I think I'll still get her going somehow.

BTW- beautiful job on your ride.

Geno
Old 02-07-08, 01:44AM   #8
mar3
the fallen

When I first met my wife, I explained to her she would only have one real competitor in my life if we were to get serious...then I took her to the garage where I had stored my Pro-Street '68 Firebird coupe that was in pieces all over the place. I told her the only reason I would ever get rid of that car that I had had since my first year in college would be because I found a convertible '68 Firebird.

And darn if she didn't remember those exact words when I did find one 11 years later...

Welcome aboard, Geno! I had a '70 1/2 Formula Esprit in my High School Junior and Senior years that my Dad made me share with my brother, a year behind me, when he totaled his Fiat X1/9...he, of course, eventually did the number on my car, too.

Mario III
1984 Mazda RX-7 GS...stock,DC solar yellow beauty.
mar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 09:22PM   #9
72blackbird

Mario,
So what happened after your bro totalled your 'Bird? I never had any brothers (only a sister), so I never had to worry about her wrecking my '78 T/A- just chauffering her to the mall.

It's incredible how these musclecars have appreciated. $5k-$10 for a rusted roller?- it's time to buy afew just to rebuild and bring to auction. I haven't really been into my car for almost nine years, but I'm remembering all of the fun I had working on her and driving everywhere. Time to get out in the garage and start wrenching.

Cheers,
Geno
Old 02-08-08, 01:43AM   #10
mar3
the fallen

Welp, that car went to the crusher...I had dented a fender and when he totaled it, Dad had had enough...and that car only had a 350 2-barrel carb...lol. We had this guy that said he could fix the Fiat come over and when he screwed that up, Dad had that towed...the old Gran Fury Sport saw duty again until I talked Dad into going halves on this '68 Firebird I found in the paper in the Summer before College...I wanted a black Trans Am at the time and we looked at some, but they were wwaayyyyy too flashy for Dad...the Firebird was at a paint shop, freshly painted, so it was an easy sell...the car looked conservative enough (this was 1981), was another 350 2-barrel, so fast enough for him and had working AC and a good interior...up until Bryon traded his services on the vert 'Bird, I had had that 'Bird ever since, some 26 years under my wing...it really hurt to let it finally go, but the last 15 years weren't kind as I moved it from garage to garage unable to afford to finish the Pro-Street job.

I dunno...if Bryon drags his feet too much longer, I'll prolly pay him for the rear suspension drop, forget the half cage and all the other things he was going to fabricate and bring both cars back home. The prices for these cars is going crazy...well, that was until all this financial peril started befalling the investors.

mar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 04:35AM   #11
72blackbird

My old man had alot to do with me being into Ponchos as well- his first car was a Verdoro Green '69 Custom S with a 350-2bbl. (base model LeMans). He bought it new, and it stayed with our family for 16+ years- my Pops even had it shipped each time the USCG transferred him (from NY, to WA, to CA then back to NY). By then the car was showing it's age, rust in the quarters, dings,etc. but he still kept it.

I learned to drive in that car, and by some miracle I didn't wreck it (those old 350's were good on power, but w/ 4 drums couldn't stop without a telephone pole). He ended up selling it to a service buddy after I learned to do bodywork on it (mostly bondo, but not bad for my first car). He always talks about 'the other car' he could have bought, a '69 GTO (I wish), but that's another story... If he had I'd probably still have that car now.

I can't see values dropping for 'Birds and GTOs anytime soon- I'm thinking I want to find either a '69 'Bird or GTO roller, before they get really crazy in price. I know I don't want to even pay $5k, let alone $10k to $15k for a car I'd have to drop another $20k to make it right. I'd really like a droptop, but those are going for about $10k+ untouched- if they get any higher I'll chop a hardtop and add all of the ragtop gear.

Geno
Old 03-04-08, 03:32PM   #12
INJUNTOM

Welcome aboard