PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 09-03-05, 02:14AM   #1
rr67gto

Default Color Change What Would Match Interior ?

Hello friends I'm the owner of a few Pontiac's all are 68 and older. One is a Black plate CA. Le Mans that was a 326 A.I.R. car with a two speed auto and AM radio. I have gone all out on it as far as I'm able to. And,a well built 461 and also an upgraded drive train is in place in the car.

Now, about the color change. The factory color should have been turquoise with an interior in the same color. The buyer didn't order the AC, and because they wanted a white car without having to pay for AC. They made an agreement with the dealer to paint it cameo white before they brought it home. So, I'm the second owner and need a tiny bit of body work done. However, not a speck of rust to deal with other than where a small ding has lost paint.

I do have to replace the weather seal yet. I also do not like the white, because I own a cameo white 68 Firebird. What other colors would go well with the turquoise interior? I do not want something really dark of course so black is not an option. I'm just looking for ideas, because when it comes to color matching I'm no good. They all look nice to me other than the dark greens. Any ideas for this 66 Le Mans ?? Thanks, for any ideas, and I wish you all a fun and safe weekend. < Mike >
rr67gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-05, 02:36AM   #2
Gach
Administrator

Hum? what color would look good with turquoise. Turquoise with a black
rug. Had a 64 GTO that was Turquoise, it's a nice color. The only other
color I think would look good is Warwick Blue. My favorite color is Charcoaled
Blue, love that color, and looks real gold on a 67, friend of mine had a
67 GTO that color, but not sure Turquoise interior will go good.
Old 09-03-05, 07:10AM   #3
A. X.

Turquois paint with turquois interior. That's about it. Pretty much everything else, but white, will clash.
Old 09-03-05, 11:02AM   #4
rr67gto

Yeah, it's a pretty hard one huh? I do not like the thought of having to do the interior when it's in so great condition. The car had pretty low miles on it so while I was trying to decide which color to have it painted white was about all I could see as well. Other than the factory color. If I do have to do interior as well as exterior, the exterior will be a deep shiny gun metal blue. I seen one 67 painted that color and it was beautiful with even a so, so paint job. A decent one would look real sweet. Thanks, and good day.

Mike
Old 09-03-05, 11:05AM   #5
FIREDup6975

My 69 Bird is Crystal Turquiose, and that color looks awesome on a GTO. So I say, Turquiose
Old 09-03-05, 11:17AM   #6
rr67gto

I own a 68 FB 400 vert, that's Aleutian blue with teal interior and teal top. A bit more blue than I like but the car is a very high option car and it's also been restored to beauty-muss condition, so I don't mind it so much when I'm driving it. ALso the California Car cover I bought for it only came in guess what color?? Yep, it's blue too. If I was a real good painter I'd have a blast doing some real trick color combinations. Take care friends.

Mike
Old 09-04-05, 04:05AM   #7
A. X.

If you could post a pic of the interior, it might help to pic a color that would go with it better.
Old 09-05-05, 12:30AM   #8
Marty Phipps
Rock The Mullet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball Roberts
Silver will work.
Definitely!!
Want a really cool silver??
Check out the 05-06 Viper silver..
It's a very brilliant silver, and would look unbelieveable on a goat..

Painted a friends 78 Camaro this silver, he just won first place last night his first show out..

Shades of light blues ( high metallics again) would also look good.

Now if you want to go to more extremes for appearance.
Then teal blue is an idea

"Bye" Bye" Riceboy
(Ex-wife fore sale... take over payments)
Marty Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 02:02AM   #9
A. X.

Silver may look nice, but I'd still have to see the interior pics to really know. Right now, I'm having trouble picturing turquois interior.
Old 09-05-05, 10:46AM   #10
rr67gto

A. X. your not missing nutten not pictuing the color. Think of it more as a light to medium blue, with a lot of light to medium green in it. And I can check into silver which may work. I was also thinking of making it a really nice pearl white or something a little darker than bright white with the pearl in it. YA know guys buying this trick paint is not just a fw bucks. I have to keep in mind the cost of a nice driver rather than a show car cuzz I did that twice already and don lik a caar I ain't injuoyen !!! So, it will have to hav good prep, and matching interior close enough I don't hurt people's eyes when they see it. Scored a real nice 67 GTO hood and insert as well as wonderful complete drivers door from glass to door handles for $250.00 total. The hood can be used on the 66 Le Mans if I want as I also hav a great set of 66 GTO grills and lights. No clone, justa few things barrowed from the better of the cars. Anyway, yup silver will get checked into to real close. I have access to all the paint books even the one from House of Kolor. Good day, now I have to . Whait, I'll post another question for you guys since I seem to be the "slow" boy on here.
Old 09-05-05, 09:09PM   #11
A. X.

A pearl white is a nice color. It's not as bright as a regular white, and may be the color you're looking for. I think that would be my choice. :ax
Old 09-06-05, 04:46AM   #12
rr67gto

Thanks everyone. The price of the silver at HOK, is like all their paint they sell. Much of it has to do with believing that you have no other choices but them. I also ride road bikes and friends have wanted to use paint from HOK for bikes. But, after checking around they found something that was either the same, or so close it would do as well for them. Thanks for checking and finding it at Smart Shopper for me. Good evening friends.

Mike & Family in Oregon
Old 12-24-05, 03:53AM   #13
Greg Reid

I have a Turquoise '68 with Turquoise interior...Frankly, as much as I love silver on a car, I don't think it will look better with the turquoise interior than some shade of turquoise....I've thought it over quite a lot.
There are several different shades of turquoise to choose from though. From very dark to very bright. In fact, I saw one of those new Chevy SUVs today with a beautiful shade of Turquoise on it. I've been thinking of putting it on my car when I paint it.
Here is a pic of my car for color comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1085255310582_GTO_int_4.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	7895   Click image for larger version

Name:	1087632487150_68_GTO.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	7896