Engine Tech
> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 06-16-18, 11:15AM   #46
Gach
Administrator

Do I think you can make 900 hp with 40 ci more. most definitely! Never a question in my mind. I could give a sh.it less on whether or not anyone believes I made 880 hp. With those heads and intake. I never advertise it on the boards too many skeptics. Plus a long road showing it at the track. Time and money right convertor and gear.

When I talked to Scott he said 825-850 hp, but I was dealing with Gaby. There was more then one cam involved I told you that. All Iím saying to you and why you get so much flack, the majority of us talk off the boards, itís all about how you come across. With the Scott and Marcella stuff. No one is questioning their ability. If they say it can be done I doubt anyone is questioning that.
Old 06-16-18, 11:23AM   #47
Gach
Administrator

The Turbo thing is still up in the air, whatís in your Wallet...Son ! Just like you he likes to dream..LOL
Old 06-16-18, 02:09PM   #48
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
What are you taking about ? More complicated ?. Horse before the cart ?
What is more complicated than boring them all 4.375 and being done with it. Its only .025 larger than the base bore. That way the largest bore has more than enough to clean up.
There is not one thing "unknown" about the two bores in question. I was happy to find out the big one was only 4.361, I thought it was much larger and would have to be sleeved. It means I got a GREAT deal on the block. I will have in the end around the same price as a std IA2. But 55mm, big cam and line honed and maybe decked. Hard to beat that.
And IMO,you do not order pistons ever with the bore already done. Pistons need to be in hand first.
( what I meant about putting the horse before the cart ) Just thinking...Let’s say you order pistons for 4.375 bore ( .025 larger ) theoretically that’s .012.5 out of each side of the cylinder walls..Let’s say that hole with the mark in it doesn’t clean up ? What do you do then with the pistons ?

Your worried about being able to get the Rings that Scott recommend. Unless your block at the machine shop now and they feel confident they’ll be no issues ordering pistons for 4.375 bore.

So many questions, if it was just a matter of boreing it bigger, why would Frank say it need two sleeves, hell that’s a hell of a deal if it just needs a bigger bore.

Some times what looks like a mark turns out to be perosity
Old 06-16-18, 03:43PM   #49
turbo louie

Quote:
They are important because I want to hit a number. And I did ask more than once about longevity. They are not a 100,000 mile ring. But they will last more than one season. That is 2-3 seasons. I am willing to do it. A engine like this should be checked out every few years anyway.
I am concerned about how long they will last. but my concerns were alleviated.
BTW, not calling them low tension. They might be, but not the word that was used.
They only cost a few bucks more than std rings. And I can go different rings the next time around it I want to.
I have a chance to hit a number, going for it.
You would know better then me, but from what im understanding , you're letting the available ring pack dictate the bore size. I understand you're looking for your number. I do, but if its only going to give you 30 more hp if it was me it wouldnt dictate anything. Because i would want a smaller bore for more stability throughout the bore for strenth and it will give more available rebuilds for the future .. But if 30 hp is more important then that, i do understand your feelings . Goals are important for us ...

I wish you luck with this build . Sounds like a good one...
Old 06-16-18, 05:21PM   #50
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo louie View Post
You would know better then me, but from what im understanding , you're letting the available ring pack dictate the bore size. I understand you're looking for your number. I do, but if its only going to give you 30 more hp if it was me it wouldnt dictate anything. Because i would want a smaller bore for more stability throughout the bore for strenth and it will give more available rebuilds for the future .. But if 30 hp is more important then that, i do understand your feelings . Goals are important for us ...

I wish you luck with this build . Sounds like a good one...
Sure I am, I am doing what Scott suggests. I mean, he knows far more than me.
He does all sorts of interesting builds. Dynos lots of engines and him and Marcella combined are simply a wealth of hard won information. Me, by having John do a intake, if it even gives me even a little access to things they found out on Mikes engine that were unconventional, but worked. Its worth every penny vs just buying Gachs intake, which is one of the best Victors on the planet. My intake is going to be better.
If I can use some of that info on my build, if it applies to me, I will.
My choice is a simple one, pay the 500$ or so and have the 2 holes sleeved and run it at 4.35. 4.360 in not a option unless I sleeve it too. So no reason for that.
I still have at least 3 more bore sizes past 4.375. More if you count the in-between bore where I might not have the ring availability. And later if I have to run a few holes slightly different sizes and use whatever good ring is available there is that option. But I bet I will never make it to the max bore size on this block. I am not going to put it at great risk. No NO2, no boost, no high RPMs. Block, rods and crank can take far more than I will throw at it.
The block, in just reaching in and feeling with your hand/fingers just how thick the bores are, they are THICK. Nothing like the PMD blocks I am used to.
Goals are good, competition is good.
BTW, I wish I could post some of the pics I have gotten. One, Hemi, looks stock, I mean dead stock, 900 pump gas HP.
Thanks for the well wishes, you are one of the most respectful poster here and on PY. I notice that.
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-18, 05:49PM   #51
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
( what I meant about putting the horse before the cart ) Just thinking...Letís say you order pistons for 4.375 bore ( .025 larger ) theoretically thatís .012.5 out of each side of the cylinder walls..Letís say that hole with the mark in it doesnít clean up ? What do you do then with the pistons ?

Your worried about being able to get the Rings that Scott recommend. Unless your block at the machine shop now and they feel confident theyíll be no issues ordering pistons for 4.375 bore.

So many questions, if it was just a matter of boreing it bigger, why would Frank say it need two sleeves, hell thatís a hell of a deal if it just needs a bigger bore.

Some times what looks like a mark turns out to be perosity
Not only did it just need 2 sleeves it was already 55mm cam, done and bored but not bushed for the .904s. Its a VERY good deal. Frank must like me. He is a salt of the earth kind of guy, good dude.

If that bore with the dark spot does not clean up (it will) or has a porous spot I just sleeve it. Its still better than sleeving 2 that I thought I had to. Frank said it needs 2 sleeves because he could not sell it as a 4.35 base block. I had 4.35 20cc dish pistons, 1/16 file fits, pins, locks. Got it all for 325$ shipped. But the dish was not enough with 63cc heads for pump gas.
Sold the pistons and rings for 475$ shipped to get the right dish. The different rings, gas porting were all secondary concerns. But I might as well go for it if the rings are not as short lived as some think. That was my thoughts. And they are .043, not the real thin metric rings.
Its a small risk the no. 2 hole not cleaning up at 4.375
Its not like I did not take it to a competent machine shop to get a accurate measurement of the bores. He went down to .0001 I just did not write every ten thousandths down if it did not matter. But I got the numbers from him.
Old 06-16-18, 06:17PM   #52
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Do I think you can make 900 hp with 40 ci more. most definitely! Never a question in my mind. I could give a sh.it less on whether or not anyone believes I made 880 hp. With those heads and intake. I never advertise it on the boards too many skeptics. Plus a long road showing it at the track. Time and money right convertor and gear.

When I talked to Scott he said 825-850 hp, but I was dealing with Gaby. There was more then one cam involved I told you that. All Iím saying to you and why you get so much flack, the majority of us talk off the boards, itís all about how you come across. With the Scott and Marcella stuff. No one is questioning their ability. If they say it can be done I doubt anyone is questioning that.
I know I come across that way, just me. I don't take arguments personal. Things like that.
I am sure folks talk offline like a bunch of old women. Let them.
Say I get this done, 900+HP on a pump gas Pontiac @ 7500 RPMs or lower. Its quite a accomplishment in itself. Not been done before with E heads.
There will be jealousy here and there from people that don't want to admit it. If a "wanna be" from "nowhere" gets it done first crack where some folks who thought there were players did not, sure there will be some of that.
Who cares, I don't.
It won't be easy. Thats why I am leaning on these folks. And if I god forbid, say positive things about them some are just going to have to deal with it.
Scott is more positive than JM, but he hates pump gas. They are not telling me it will be easy, thats for sure. But I will try anyway and post my results.
I am prepared for the skeptics you mentioned. Especially over on PY. The CV Patrol and their cohorts sb and George.
See where I asked Bruce if he wanted to make a friendly 50$ bet that Chief would not have CVs on his car within a year. Bruce never took me up on it. Then today Twin re posts the Cv mock up for him. It will be interesting, one way or the other.
But for Chief to run the CVs he will have to do what no one has ever done with them before. Who has put twin turbos, 40lbs of boost on them and had them live ? Not saying Quinlen can not do it. But he would be the first.
Old Yesterday, 09:18AM   #53
turbo louie

Quote:
Sure I am, I am doing what Scott suggests. I mean, he knows far more than me.
He does all sorts of interesting builds. Dynos lots of engines and him and Marcella combined are simply a wealth of hard won information. Me, by having John do a intake, if it even gives me even a little access to things they found out on Mikes engine that were unconventional, but worked. Its worth every penny vs just buying Gachs intake, which is one of the best Victors on the planet. My intake is going to be better.
If I can use some of that info on my build, if it applies to me, I will.
My choice is a simple one, pay the 500$ or so and have the 2 holes sleeved and run it at 4.35. 4.360 in not a option unless I sleeve it too. So no reason for that.
I still have at least 3 more bore sizes past 4.375. More if you count the in-between bore where I might not have the ring availability. And later if I have to run a few holes slightly different sizes and use whatever good ring is available there is that option. But I bet I will never make it to the max bore size on this block. I am not going to put it at great risk. No NO2, no boost, no high RPMs. Block, rods and crank can take far more than I will throw at it.
The block, in just reaching in and feeling with your hand/fingers just how thick the bores are, they are THICK. Nothing like the PMD blocks I am used to.
Goals are good, competition is good.
BTW, I wish I could post some of the pics I have gotten. One, Hemi, looks stock, I mean dead stock, 900 pump gas HP.
Thanks for the well wishes, you are one of the most respectful poster here and on PY. I notice that.
Thanks Troy,thats nice of you tho say..

Do your self a favor, Make this happen. You will shut up a lot of people and get the respect you will deserve for doing it . I know you say you dont care , but it will stop alot of the bantering when you post that people seem to start with you....
Again , Good luck its going to be a mean Mofo.......
Old Yesterday, 05:40PM   #54
Dragncar

Thanks, big fella. I did not spend all this cash for nothing. Its going to be a bad, reliable bitch !!
Old Yesterday, 06:26PM   #55
Gach
Administrator

And just think, you will kicked Slowbirdyís High Port butt with little old E-heads.

EHTTFMF!
Old Yesterday, 07:42PM   #56
Dragncar

Dyno only. Have to do it first.