PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 06-16-05, 02:54AM   #1
gontpls

Default cowl repair

Can anyone give me any suggestions on cowl repair for a 72 Lemans? I plan on pulling the dash out and attacking it from there, and using parts from a better car. Is there a better more efficient way? Thanks
gontpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-05, 01:35PM   #2
A. X.

What's the problem? Rust?
Old 06-16-05, 04:23PM   #3
gontpls

OOOOOHHHHH YEA! The car came from New Jersey, and the outer area that goes up the firewall area, and around the vents are pretty good, but where the wiper arms go in the cowl and down inside, there is some serious rust. I have debated on wheater or not to even continue with this car or to look for another one to do, but I have already go some tome and money invested in this one. Not to mention I have a hard time giving up on anything. Let me know if you have any good advise. Thanks Brent
Old 06-16-05, 08:41PM   #4
A. X.

Anytime you can get good parts from a donor car, you're already ahead of the game in my opinion. Very few aftermarket parts are worth a crap, if even available. You could cut out the rust and just weld in sheet metal, but if you have a donor, it will be a lot easier. The fitment of the replaced section will make things go a lot smoother. Plus, look a lot better when finished. :ax

Once you get everything apart, you may find more than you bargained for though. So it's really hard to say what to do without seeing the rusted area.
Old 06-17-05, 11:19AM   #5
Goatman

That will be a very difficult area to repair. Not saying it can't be done, but you have alot of structure in that area. It may be like A.X. said, you may have more rust than you bargained for, but if you have the ability, go for it. It will be very time consuming to say the least.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-05, 11:44AM   #6
gontpls

Has anyone ever attempted to use por15 por patch, to see how well it would hold up in an area like this? If I do decide to try and save it, would it be recomended to start cutting with the body still on the frame, or do you think a well supported rotisserie would be enough?
Old 06-17-05, 11:52AM   #7
A. X.

You mean to patch the rust with POR-15? I wouldn't do that. It's strongs stuff, but it's not that strong. Rust needs to be removed no matter where it is. Cut it out and weld in new. That's the only way to deal with rust.

As far as when to cut it, it all depends on how much you have to cut out. Small amounts would be ok on a rotisserie, but a large section may not. It's just hard to say without seeing it. If you have pics of the area, post them and maybe we can give you a better idea of what to do.
Old 06-17-05, 12:08PM   #8
Wham!

I had rust on my cowl panel. The one where the wipers bolt on to and has that vent that makes those bastards rust. anyways i cut mine out and the body sisn't flex or anything. the bottom one that is in the interior is the one you would have to brace if you cut out, which i did in mine
Old 06-17-05, 11:33PM   #9
gontpls

Started pulling the dash out today, and you were right, more rust. It looks like once the dash is out of the way, that it is accessible through the bottom. I am thinkin that if I can get these pieces out of a donor car, I may be able to cut them a little large, flange em, and tak them in, and then use the por 15 seam sealer to seal and keep the rust out. This stuff sets up like cement. I would not even attempt this but the car is a convertible, and I am already in way too deep.
Old 06-18-05, 12:07AM   #10
spadey
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by gontpls
Started pulling the dash out today, and you were right, more rust. It looks like once the dash is out of the way, that it is accessible through the bottom. I am thinkin that if I can get these pieces out of a donor car, I may be able to cut them a little large, flange em, and tak them in, and then use the por 15 seam sealer to seal and keep the rust out. This stuff sets up like cement. I would not even attempt this but the car is a convertible, and I am already in way too deep.

That sounds like you have alot of work ahead of you..

Good luck.
JAVIER
spadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-05, 03:03AM   #11
gontpls

Yea, I think the cop in gone in 60 seconds said it best when he said, "aint got nothin but time baby" ! I just hope I can keep my head and not get so frustrated that I end up having it crushed.
Old 06-18-05, 04:38PM   #12
A. X.

Oh, you want to use the POR-15 as a rust preventative after you're finished. LOL! OK. I don't know what I was thinking there. Yeah, that's a good idea.

As for flanging, I usually do not like to do that, but it depends on whether or not you can see the repair when all is put back together. I usually like to but the metal together, because it makes for a much smother and nicer finished product. But if you can't see it, you shouldn't have to worry about it.
Old 06-18-05, 06:24PM   #13
Wham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gontpls
Yea, I think the cop in gone in 60 seconds said it best when he said, "aint got nothin but time baby" ! I just hope I can keep my head and not get so frustrated that I end up having it crushed.

I think that was master P that said that.