Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Aftermarket News & Products
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 02-13-10, 03:05PM   #1
Cerebral

Default Custom Aluminum Rad Support. Interested???

Hello there. Looking to see if anyone would be interested in custum amde aluminum rad supports for the 2nd Gen firebird/camaro. AS we know reproduction rad supports are not being built anymore and to find a good condition ones are hard to come by. The stock steel ones weight i would say around 20-30 pounds.

In the up coming months I am going to be building a Custum aluminum Rad support to replace the stock one that i have inside my 79 T/A. With this being made out of aluminum it should weigh about 5-10 pounds ish. It will retain all factory bolt holes so that it will bolt into any 2nd Gen Firebird/Camaro. We ar limites to a 28Inch wide rad with the stock rad support. Should be able to make a rad support with a 32-34 inch wide rad. more cooling surface area. Will also be able to make the Rad sit up closer to the front bumper if you need the extra inch or so between your electric fan and water pump. Battery tray or no battery tray would be up to the consumer. All joints will be welded no RIVITS. Posible clear coats as well

Will also be able to make a Super light version that holds just the basics. for your al out race car

THESE ARE obviously NOT crash tested

Would anyone be interested in custum aluminum rad supports for there Race/Street cars? Diminsion can be made to fit your vehicle

Will be getting prices for the Aluminum in the on coming weeks

What would you be willing to pay for one of these? post in Canadian dollar or U.S. dollar. After the 2nd Gen one is made, will probly make aup a first gen one, if i can get my hands ona 1rst gen rad support. YOu think there would be a market for these
Old 02-13-10, 04:21PM   #2
wrench

I would love one.
wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 04:24PM   #3
Travis474Pont

depending on price I might be.
Travis474Pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 04:59PM   #4
Cerebral

What would people be willing to pay???
Would you be more interested in an aluminum custum aluminum rad support (stock replacement), or the Full out super light version? As of right now I would only be making them for 2nd gen F-bodies cuase that is the car that i have right now. Will be most likelybe makig them out of 3/4 inch or 1" square tube aluminum, and other sheet aluminum

What kind of fetures would the you the consumer like to see in these rad supports.
-larger rad areas?
-Rad sit closer to the bumper?
-Battery tray?
-Clear coated?

Any imput would be great so when I make the first one it wil be great for me and my car and also one that will fit your needs.
Old 02-13-10, 08:43PM   #5
GREATGTO
Pontiac Nut

I would say just build one so people can see the quality and then figure out what they are willing to pay, obviously you will have a minimum material and labor cost but if the quality is low or high the price should reflect that outcome.

The first one you make will probably be the highest cost to you until you can build a jig to make the supports on a faster repeatable process.
GREATGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 11:35AM   #6
79bluebird
young & stupid

i might be up for one if price is now to high. but i would want a bare bones one.
79bluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 10:48PM   #7
Cerebral

Right now i have the Stock rad support out of my car and have started drawing up some plans for it. Should be able to move the Rad up 2 inchs for more clearance between water pump and ELEC fan. Going to get price on 20 feet of 1" square Aluminum. Just taking a rought guess these will Probly go for aroun $450 Canadian Dollar.

I can also get my hands on a S10 Rad suppot 90's ones. So after this one is done probly move on to the S10 ones. BIG market for these!!

Project Set back another month. Due the my Jeep Grand cherokee blew out the Valve body accumilator plate jsut set me back $1200 But now its got all the Mopar upgrades as well with tricked out other parts.
Old 05-31-10, 11:36AM   #8
stallion

Default I will buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Right now i have the Stock rad support out of my car and have started drawing up some plans for it. Should be able to move the Rad up 2 inchs for more clearance between water pump and ELEC fan. Going to get price on 20 feet of 1" square Aluminum. Just taking a rought guess these will Probly go for aroun $450 Canadian Dollar.

I can also get my hands on a S10 Rad suppot 90's ones. So after this one is done probly move on to the S10 ones. BIG market for these!!

Project Set back another month. Due the my Jeep Grand cherokee blew out the Valve body accumilator plate jsut set me back $1200 But now its got all the Mopar upgrades as well with tricked out other parts.
let me know where you live i will come rite over and pick one up
stallion is offline   Reply With Quote