PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 05-27-06, 11:22AM   #1
A. X.

Exclamation Talk About Ridiculous Paint Prices!

God! I just had my asshole greased and prodded! I sent my wife to the paint store to get a quart of paint to match the color of her car, so I could paint the new parts. The color is Flame Red, so i knew it would be a bit higher than most other colors. I couldn't believe what it costs though. $103.00 for a ******* quart of red basecoat! Are you ******* kidding me??? How in the world does a QUART of basic red paint come even close to being worth 103 ******* dollars?? There's nothing special about this paint either. No metallic, no pearl, just plain red basecoat. GOD! If not for having to color match this car, I would have bought some ******* kirker, and told them to **** off! Needless to say, I'll be using the Kirker Clearcoat over this Dupont Chromabase shit! No need to waste more ******* money!
Old 05-27-06, 04:10PM   #2
A. X.

I heard that too about the waterbased stuff. That stuff isn't cheap either. The price of paint is getting out of hand. If I would have had time, I would have just painted the whole car with Kirker, and said to hell with it.
Old 05-27-06, 07:20PM   #3
FIREDup6975

A can of Krylon Red gloss is only $3.79 at Sears. I just bought a can to paint a wagon for my Mom. Mike stop whineing and let the freggin moths out of your wallet. If I told you what I spent on my 69's paint job you'd shit a gold brick.
Old 05-28-06, 02:37AM   #4
Repoman

Why are barns red?

Because back in the day, red was the cheapest pigment to make paint.

Damn, I really am turning into a crazy old man full of useless info.
Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 02:38AM   #5
Repoman

If you think that hurts, I just bought a gallon of primer with reducer for $300. Primer!
Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 11:53AM   #6
Marty Phipps
Rock The Mullet!

I've been playing with a very inexpensive 2 k clear lately..
Advantage clear.... $75.00 a gallon including the catalyst...
So far mostly on race cars, and door jambs..
But if the clear holds up to time...... it'll certainly be nice to find something inexpensive...
As far as the red goes.... Yeah, it is the most expensive pigment avail...
Why??
because it is used in the most popular color variations...
Doesn't cost any more to manufacture... but is great for the manufacturers profit margin...
For many years..
Red base, and toners from Spies Hecker were exactly the same price as any of their other tint colors...
Guess what???
Now that Spies is more known and used here in the states...
Their red has also now risen above other tintss.

"Bye" Bye" Riceboy
(Ex-wife fore sale... take over payments)
Marty Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 09:40PM   #7
gambler

I run a collision/restoration shop and the materials have tripled in the past 30 years. They need more additives to make them work with even more primers and sealers for undercoating needed. Good part is....they last three times as long if properly applied and if I could ever get the sting out (money leaving my wallet) I would/could probably enjoy it more. lol

"If you are not sitting on the edge, you are taking up space."
gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 12:31AM   #8
lightnin

i painted a chevelle viper red.<omni>ppg cheap paint 100 bucks for a gal.
clear about the same. these paints work great.
im doing a 65 f 100 for a guy. astec orange <harley color>
433 $ gal.370$ for clear.with 2 k primer and all the rest of the goodies
1387 $ maybye all i have to do is open the cans? it will paint itself !
Old 05-31-06, 10:54AM   #9
Goatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnin
astec orange <harley color>
433 $ gal.370$ for clear.with 2 k primer and all the rest of the goodies
1387 $ maybye all i have to do is open the cans? it will paint itself !
That's probably why it cost so much. Those two words, Harley Davidson, adds about 143% to the price.
Old 06-01-06, 06:29AM   #10
55 Starchief

Best get used to it guys watrebased paints will be the way forward, quick tip for wet flatting WB us panel wipe if you use water you loose the paint
Old 01-14-07, 06:38PM   #11
Father&Son73T/A

Put it to you this way,when we had the 73 pained it's original code 75 Buccaneer Red,the labor and paint could have bought a new base Saturn Vue.
Father&Son73T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:54PM   #12
colorsand

I think another reason to keep paint and supply prices high, is to keep it out of the hands of the average individual. I recently had to sign a release form to buy paint at the local supplier stating I knew how to use the product and also stating I would use it in a responsible manner [WI]-even though the same supplier accepts orders and delivers materials to me at work-as a painter, and has been doing so for 20+ years. I predict big brother will eventually squash the individual’s ability to buy these materials, just like I predicted 20 years ago that we would be squatting behind the shop on a late Wednesday night and Five O would shine the spot on us and arrest us for smoking….cigarettes! Now I don’t think I was too far off on my date of 20 years in the future-30 years would have put me spot on. Big brother wants to control our every move, even our BOWEL movements!
colorsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:10PM   #13
colorsand

Personally, I don’t think the government will be happy until they can stop people from restoring and driving old cars period. I think they really want to implant a chip in every citizen’s head, monitor our thoughts, then zap us with an electrical charge and deduct a fine electronically from our bank accounts every time our thoughts are not “government approved”! This will come to pass too!!!!
colorsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 01:58AM   #14
tweety
the blue canary

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorsand View Post
Personally, I don’t think the government will be happy until they can stop people from restoring and driving old cars period. I think they really want to implant a chip in every citizen’s head, monitor our thoughts, then zap us with an electrical charge and deduct a fine electronically from our bank accounts every time our thoughts are not “government approved”! This will come to pass too!!!!
Unfortunately, I believe you're right.
Old 01-16-07, 02:59AM   #15
Zippy
The Unbanable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREDup6975 View Post
A can of Krylon Red gloss is only $3.79 at Sears. I just bought a can to paint a wagon for my Mom. Mike stop whineing and let the freggin moths out of your wallet. If I told you what I spent on my 69's paint job you'd shit a gold brick.
Let me guess, you paid them with said gold brick??