PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 07-29-05, 02:58PM   #1
Wham!

Default Mold making Part 2

I plan to sell my stock noce, but I would love to make a perfect mold out of it. this way oneday I can make a carbon fiber nose out of it. It does not have to be a 2 sided mold. Anyone know what I would need or any links? I watched rides once and they made a mold, but I cant remember what they used.
Old 07-30-05, 02:26AM   #2
A. X.

Was that Rides you're talking about, the one where Foose did that Thunderbird? I've been wondering what they used too, because I missed that part.
Old 07-30-05, 01:05PM   #3
Wham!

ya I was. they used clay to make what they wanted. then they did a **** load of stuff to make the mold. I only need a one sided mold.
Old 07-30-05, 03:37PM   #4
Strelka Built
Valve Cover Expert

Default Mold making

Call VFN Fiberglass. They are making a fiberglass mold of the original Arnie Beswick Boss Bird funny car body to reproduce it in carbon fiber.
Boss Bird Link

Mark Strelka
strelkabuilt.com
mark@strelkabuilt.com
Strelka Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-05, 12:30AM   #5
77tase

Cool stuff. :ax
Old 08-06-05, 03:48PM   #6
Mb125

Anybody have an autoclave big enough to fit a nose into?
Mb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 01:02PM   #7
Lugnuts
RoBeth and David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb125
Anybody have an autoclave big enough to fit a nose into?
not anymore. I used to have a conection to one but that was years ago.

the AXMA conspiracy......hmmm I think so...
A.X. aka "CHIEF Admin sitting BULL SH*T"
Lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-05, 01:48AM   #8
A. X.

A fiberglass or carbon fiber nose for 2nd gen (or any bird for that matter) would be a sweet thing to have. Especially for those of us with that soft flexible crap. A rear bumper facia would be nice too. The many problems with the factory design make it hard to believe no one has these on the market already. Give me a nose and rear bumper that is straight, won't warp, with good fitment, and doesn't crack the paint when you tough it, and I'll be one happy SOB. Creating a mold that perfect though is probably damn near impossible though.
Old 08-08-05, 11:17AM   #9
Wham!

I think to make a perfect mold it would take alot of shaping from the old part. a lot of the factory stuff didn't fit good. I plan to make a bunch of parts in carbon fiber. The thing is are people willing to pay though?
Old 08-08-05, 04:21PM   #10
A. X.

I pay for what something is worth. Meaning I won't buy a $400.00 set of valve covers, because they are just hunks of aluminum. I'd pay $150.00 for those valve covers though, because that's all they are worth. For a good nose? I wouldn't pay more than I would for a good hood. Around $300.00 - $400.00 at the most. Maybe a little more for carbon fiber.
Old 08-08-05, 04:28PM   #11
Wham!

I would like to keep a 70-73 nose made from carbon fiber under $300.00, but as oif right now no way I could sell them that cheap. I plan to make my stock nose perfect, then put it on a few other cars and see how it fits. once i get the fit perfect i plan to make a mold out of it. then I will be making some out of carbon fiber. The only reason I have not started making parts is money. I wont make anything at all. It seems like you could get a better deal from other places.
Old 08-08-05, 06:18PM   #12
A. X.

I want a 77-78 nose. I should get my PZ discount too. lol! :ax
Old 08-08-05, 06:24PM   #13
Wham!

If I can get deals going with a few compantys that i'm talking to then I might be able to make that year nose too and spoilers/flairs that fit and look smoother then stock. I already have a few spoilers made and they make my d*ck hard just looking at them. you wont see those ugly screw's holding them or that gasket. they will fit so good it almost looks like they are molded on. so it will give anybodys car a better look. Once I get all my metal work done I will use my car as a mock up.
Old 08-12-05, 12:38PM   #14
Wham!

Well I have a few updates. One is gach is still a plumber and eats pizza for lunch. The second update is I tried to use that foam in a can at first before using that 2:1 expandable foam. It seams like that foam in a can sucks after u shape it. I tried it a bit. making a coner piece and i got the shape i wanted. then I went to add fiberglass filler. well they stuff make the foam lose shape. I was reading on another site about fiberglass messign up foam, so maybe reg body filler would be beter then fiberglass filler. So i will be buying some reg filler today. trying that on some foam and seeing how that works. If i can get this rear spoiler shaped perfect then I might be able to start making some for th epublic. they will fit better then stock and look way better. I was even thinking of making carbon fiber fenders for my bird and doors. but that will be next year when i figure out w way to make them. I would love to have everythign carbon fiber expect the shell