PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

Old 06-19-05, 02:34PM   #1
Harpoon

Default Flames/Custom Paint Help...?'s

Hi All...
Anyone have recent experience with custom paint? I am interested in flame job on one or more of my Pontiac cars.
I went to Charlotte, NC show in April and saw many nice flame jobs from around mostly S.E. US.
Called a few shops, asked a few owners. Looking at "ghost" type flame job on one car and another full blown flame job from grill area back over hood and fenders/doors .
Prices seem to be in $4k -6k range. Thats just for flame application with main paint not touched.
Any of you have any experience with flame job or know of anyone who has recently had one done?
I would appreciate any feedback on how much $ , car and details of job, and where the great artists/shops are located.
Willing to ship car(s) to another state.
Thanks in advance.....Harpoon
Old 06-19-05, 03:22PM   #2
ta455
MASTER JIM

a guy that i work with has done this for me in ta455 bird in members rides post 38

ta455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 01:12PM   #3
ta455
MASTER JIM

or look at these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bird3.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	5142   Click image for larger version

Name:	bird2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	5143   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2100018.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	5144  

Old 06-23-05, 04:52PM   #4
drewhelm

Sweet paint ta455!

Harpoon, not sure if you'd be interested in a 2-tone, but this would look trick, too.

http://firstgenfirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=642
drewhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 06:11PM   #5
Harpoon

TA455: Is that what they call "real flames" ? I cant recall the name for the paint technique that looks like real flames, but read that it was gaining in populartity so painter/ artists were learning how to shoot to make the flames look "real".

A very nice paint job!

Harpoon
Old 06-23-05, 10:14PM   #6
Marty Phipps
Rock The Mullet!

Flames are expensive.
What style are you looking for?

"Bye" Bye" Riceboy
(Ex-wife fore sale... take over payments)
Marty Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-05, 12:30AM   #7
ta455
MASTER JIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon
TA455: Is that what they call "real flames" ? I cant recall the name for the paint technique that looks like real flames, but read that it was gaining in populartity so painter/ artists were learning how to shoot to make the flames look "real".

A very nice paint job!

Harpoon
i asked the artist to make the flames more real but in keeping with the original design he also added some lightning bolts

Old 06-24-05, 11:50AM   #8
Harpoon

Havent decided yet if I will use the "real flames" on one car vrs the old traditional flame look BUT will use the old traditional flame look on one of my older cars.

I am thinking about ghost flames on one Pontiac not to much paint , just barely visible but noticeable coming off nose over hood and maybe overlapping top of fenders some. This may be in a pail purple/ white on silver car.

Other is a full blown flame job the old fashion way, with yellow, orange, white off front of nose over hood and along fenders. I found some back articles of paint examples in trick trucks, car craft mags so have alot of examples to chose from.

I called one guy in NC who runs House Of Flames and painted some in recent show and he educated me some on flames/paint. Could takes up to a three months he says for larger jobs and if paint under is decent.
Old 06-25-05, 04:31AM   #9
A. X.

Not a fan of the "real" flame look. Seems kinda trendy to me. Nothing says kick ass like traditional flames. Long and lean is how I like them.
Old 06-25-05, 11:30AM   #10
Goatman

Traditional. [thumbs] Real flames look cheesey.

And cheese is for nachos.
Old 06-25-05, 01:40PM   #11
Harpoon

I feel the same....traditional is my choice.

Not to say that the real flame art work is not incredible, and some of the jobs I have seen in print are unbeleivable, I just dont think the real flame job "stands out" like traditional flames. They look sorta muted or blended into the base paint to much, something... My opinion only, and you know what they say....
Old 06-25-05, 04:34PM   #12
Play400

I'm a fan or the tradition flame job but prefer more radical colors such as hot pink on yellow or a real bright lime green flame job on orange. Something different to catch the eye.

Don't want to sound like an idiot but the first "fire" job I seen was on a Yamaha and it looked like cheesy woodgrained mactac. Something like the Burlap grain in the bird. I had to be told what it was ad still had a hard time with it. And the more fire I see the less I like it. Alan

I SPEEL so bad spellchech donts help
Play400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 05:41PM   #13
A. X.

The cool thing about classic flames is that any color combination works great with them. Try that with "real" flames. It won't work.

This is what I have planned for my 82 Chevy Truck project. A liquid chrome flame. Now getting my artwork from the computer to a real vehicle is gonna be a PITA, but I think I'm talented enough to do it on my own. I gots Mad Skillz Yo! lol! Just don't know if they're mad enough to pull this off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	5209  
Old 06-25-05, 06:04PM   #14
Goatman

That's why I like the traditional flames. You can do any color combo to achieve whatever look you want. One of the first Overhaulin' episodes that came out, they di a mid 90s Chevy 4x4, painted black with a real flame job. The flames looked like decals you could buy at Pep Boys or something like that. Just doesn't appeal to me.
Old 06-29-05, 06:48AM   #15
tazmaniac

here is my first set of flame's i'd like your input on these

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showt...ghlight=flames
cheer's guy's.
tazmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote