PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

Old 04-16-07, 05:32PM   #1
tweety
the blue canary

Default weatherstripping?

Well, I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to think about getting a weatherstripping kit for my car. I'm tossed up as to what to get. I've been hearing good things about Steelerubber and Metro more than anything else as far as fit goes. What experiences have some of you had and what are the ups and downs of some of these products? Also if there are some better kits out there, I'd be interested in hearing about them.
Old 04-16-07, 06:14PM   #2
7T4TA

Are you in Canada?

If so, these guys are cheap!

http://www.rpmparts.ca/specials.html

Gosh, my car leaks everywhere - I wish I could replace it now but I'm going to wait for paint...

Old 04-16-07, 07:30PM   #3
tweety
the blue canary

Hey, thanks for the link, and I am in Canada.. Looks like a guy might get some good prices through them. I live out on the wet coast though, so with weatherstripping, my main concern is to get the best seal I can on the car so fit and quality is my biggest thought. Well second biggest, I already checked with my local GM dealer, and for their price on everything even with a healthy discount, I can almost replace my transmission.
Old 04-16-07, 08:01PM   #4
55 Starchief

I got a complete kit from CPR for my 55, from memory it was about $300. www.pontiacparts.net
Old 04-17-07, 12:48PM   #5
7T4TA

I would imagine there is even more choices on the left coast.

There are a lot of specialty shops around here that just import the kits in from the states so if find a manufacturer you want to buy from, just ask them if they have any CanIndian dealers you could buy from.

You could also buy directly from the US. Most of the stuff I buy is from Classic Industries and they haven't steered me wrong yet.

I don't think you have to pay duty on car parts for a car that is > 15 years old and the CanIndian Dollars ain't so bad this week either.

Weatherstripping isn't rocket surgery anyhow - it either fits or it don't.

Old 05-06-07, 08:54AM   #6
A. X.

I just used the softseal kits, and haven't had any problems. Buying the complete kit is cheaper than buying seperate in most cases, I believe. A lot of the sealing problems people find are due to alignment issues, not so much the brand of weatherstrip they use. Those damn doors are very difficult to seal around the top part of the glass, and most of it is due to poor alignment.
Old 05-06-07, 05:11PM   #7
REDNEK70
~PZ BAD BOY~

Hey Tweety...try this link....http://carubber.com/.

They are in Werner Alberta and deal with suppliers from the USA. I got all my weatherstripping from them for around $400CND. Talk to Deb...she deals with the GM parts. Tell them Rick sent you!!
REDNEK70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 08:21PM   #8
tweety
the blue canary

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. X. View Post
I just used the softseal kits, and haven't had any problems. Buying the complete kit is cheaper than buying seperate in most cases, I believe. A lot of the sealing problems people find are due to alignment issues, not so much the brand of weatherstrip they use. Those damn doors are very difficult to seal around the top part of the glass, and most of it is due to poor alignment.
Thanks Mike, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Aside from leaks, I'd also heard of lengths being wrong on some brands, pins in the wrong spots, etc. Pins in the wrong spots isn't a big deal, my plan was to fit the stripping before I painted and drilling new holes for the pins if need be. Lengths being wrong is another problem tho. I agree that windows on a hardtop can be a pita to align, it can take a long time to get them right.
Old 05-08-07, 08:22PM   #9
tweety
the blue canary

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNEK70 View Post
Hey Tweety...try this link....http://carubber.com/.

They are in Werner Alberta and deal with suppliers from the USA. I got all my weatherstripping from them for around $400CND. Talk to Deb...she deals with the GM parts. Tell them Rick sent you!!
Good link Red, I may be calling them.