PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

Old 12-16-03, 10:50PM   #16
Marty Phipps
Rock The Mullet!

Just for the record.
I mix different manufatcurers on a car all the time.
Paint Companies want their paint used only for different reasons.
Most obvious... More sales.
Also.. If their paint fails, and their product was used all the way through, it's easier to track down the failure.
Many used to claim that this was the only way they'd guarantee the paint they sell.
I never really bought into that theory, and I've been proven right.
Some manufacturers will warranty their products, but the majority wont.
Just start asking body shops what PPG told them when a bumper cover starts to peel.
If you use a particular brand of primer, then a different brand of base, and another brand of clear.
You wont have any problems, as long as you follow some basic's.

Make sure it's properly mixed.
Make sure the underlaying product is properly prepped.
MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MIX BRANDS BETWEEN THEMSELVES!

What I mean by the last comment.....
Don't try to use PPG catalyst in Spies clear.
Or Dupont reducer in Ditzler DBU base
If you use a particular product for 1 phase of your paint job, make sure you get the appropriate reducer and catalyst.

Lastly.
PLEASE TELL ME NONE OF YOU ARE STILL USING LACQUER PRIMER ON YOUR CARS
Marty Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-03, 01:11AM   #17
Fast1970transam

not me that pimer.
Old 12-17-03, 01:47AM   #18
Marty Phipps
Rock The Mullet!

There's hope for you yet Fast
Now we only have to worry about 72 :shock: :shock:
Old 12-17-03, 02:13AM   #19
Fast1970transam

I think i'm gonna stick with all ppg, i've gone this far... unless Spies Hecker's has the colors i want and would be better? I plan to paint under my car once i get the rear tubs done and rear cross member. so maybe 1 more month? not sure. then once i get the rear patch panels done, again this month the shell will be ready what the hell am i getting at? lol oh ya i'm thinking of going with that new bmw met. blue or lexus blue marty. are those colors hard?
Old 12-17-03, 02:13AM   #20
Fast1970transam

Hard to shoot that is ya there is no hope for 72... or is there?
Old 12-17-03, 02:41AM   #21
Fast1970transam

hey marty i have a quick :?: with ppg how long can i go without shooting the clear? i'm gonna shoot the base, then i want to have a pro paint the t/a strip and bird, then i will shoot the clear. i heard 3 days? i know of others that u can wait longer
Old 12-18-03, 02:07AM   #22
Marty Phipps
Rock The Mullet!

Ok Fast.
Just when I thought there was hope for you..............
You go and blow my theory
Blue, especially the color's you're talking about falls into the darker shade of base paint.
I'm not aware of any paint manufacturer that allows a Urethane clear to be sprayed 3 day's after the base.
If you're really set on having someone else spray the clear...

I'd recommend this approach.

Lay down your base color.
Wait about an hour, then apply only 2 coats of clear.
Let the clear dry over night, then wet sand the clear with 600 grit, make sure you don't break through the clear any place, just sand it until the clear is smooth.
Then take the car to a shop, and have them apply 2-3 coats of Clear on top of that.
You'll end up with a Very smooth top coat of clear, that will be easy to cut and buff.
But it will cost you more, since you're going to be buying a considerable amount of clear
Old 12-18-03, 03:01AM   #23
Fast1970transam

lol sorry marty . I was reading somewhere how you could wait a couple of days with ppg, but screw that if i dont have too. I will do all the painting myself. just wanted a pro to paint my stripe and bird. should i wet sand the final coat of base before spraying the clear? How man base/clear coats shoudl i do ya think. i would love a very shiny car. i guess almost like a show car paint job. thanks again for all the info. this is really helping me out and getting me ready
Old 12-08-04, 02:56PM   #24
FIREDup6975

My 69 was painted with PPG. Mike and I painted a 79 F-350 pick up with Sherwin Williams. DON'T use it!!! It's horrible! :fast70thr :fast70thr :rolleyes:
Old 12-08-04, 03:06PM   #25
RamAirThree

For me when it comes to base coat, SATA all the way, but when it comes to clear I love the Devilbisse and/or a cheap gun. When it comes to clear the only thing I care about is that 2.0 head. The rest is on me.

As for paint yep, DBU PPG is excellent. I love there etching primers and love there filler / sealer primers. I also love the clear, I find it easier to work with incase of mishap and lays well enough to get a deep look finish. However this is only my opinion, usually you can never find two bodymen/painters that agree on the same thing or the same procedure...lol.

Like I hate Spies-Hecker, but I saw some one post they liked it on here, neither one of us is wrong, we just feel more comfortable using two different brands. As long as no one suggest Centari, you will be fine what ever your choice. I know this is a way late post so just curious did you spray it and how did it come out.

By the way I hate spraying Imron....lol :cheers

~~~Lou
1970 Formula 400 Ram air III, Close Ratio 4-Speed, 3:73 Gears..... All original, matching number car and under a full frame-up restoration. Yes it is American Made and only American made will do and that is where my pride lays.
http://members.cardomain.com/formulara3
God's Speed John DeLorean and Thankyou
R.I.P. Indian Larry
RamAirThree is offline   Reply With Quote