Engine Tech
> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 05-13-19, 06:55PM   #61
Gach
Administrator

Thatís a good idea. It will definitely help allot of people out. Thinking about how to do it. Other thing I was thinking about thereís allot of good sources out there for Pontiac parts hard to find Other then Butler and Kauffman.

By the way people who answer phone and you can actually have informative conversation.
Old 05-13-19, 07:05PM   #62
Gach
Administrator

What you think, create section just for those sources.

On the new build, I needed .700 off set rocker shaft, with 1.75 rocker..called Butler, said 8 weeks to get one. Of course pay up front. Now since I dealt with T&D before I called them. A week later I had one and $300.00 cheaper.

I called both Butler and Kauffman figuring they would have them in stock. Because theyíre common for Wide Port heads. 8 weeks are you shiting Me !
Old 05-13-19, 08:55PM   #63
sprint250
Moteesuh

You also have to remember that in a lot of cases an "authorized dealer" has to fulfill a minimum purchase order with a manufacturer or manufacturer's distributor in order to get their deep discount and make margin on the deal.If they have to short buy the product or get it from another source there is not as much profit on the deal. Now if they are marking the parts up beyond MSRP they still would've made money ,just not as much. And if they are behind on their account no product will ship until they get caught up to date.
The manufacturer is also selling product direct at MSRP. So the manufacturer is being careful not under cut their dealers (which tends to piss 'em off) but you are getting the product quicker and cheaper because you have circumvented the dealer's " MSRP+++ price" because they did not want to go out of their way to get you the product in a timely way.

Been through something similar to this with AERCO commercial/industrial water heaters.
But their parts stream is so tight you pay full pop++++ for common parts that they list as proprietary with their own special part #'s. And you cannot buy direct you must go through their dealer network. Simple 24 volt 1/2" ips ASCO solenoid valve that I can get all day long for $125.00 is marked up by their dealer to $425.00.
They made GRANGER look cheap at $200.00!What a scam. LOL
Old 05-13-19, 09:16PM   #64
Gach
Administrator

Not caught up on their account...ding ding. wink

Yup I deal with that shit all time. 1/2 plex to 3/8 Comp stops, $5.25 on line. $15.00 local. Highway robbery
Old 05-13-19, 09:50PM   #65
sprint250
Moteesuh

"What you think, create section just for those sources?"

Well you already have a section on the main page called "tech articles" which could be reorganized by the category of the articles?. That would make sifting through them easier.
I see persons started posting questions over there too. Those questions should be moved over to this area of the forums where more people will respond to them.

You have a section for almost every cylinder head made for a Pontiac V-8 so probably create one for the IA II & MR-1 blocks?
I would put a sticky for each block in the top of its section with the manufacturer's instructions if available and any additional known issues and fixes/work a rounds for those that people directly involved have discovered.
Even create one for stock blocks for the same reasons.

You want the document for each in PDF format that is down loadable but can only be edited by you while it is on display on the site. No unauthorized tampering.
All info has to be verified true before it goes into /gets added to the document.
It would take some seat time for you to set up but I know it would be a good reference for people wanting to use these products without having to hit all the same icebergs.

Just like SD MAN's rediscovered article he did on the oil pump mods.
That oil pump article could be condensed and placed in the tech article section.
Old 05-15-19, 01:50AM   #66
JHanko

This is some great info here. Stuff that definitely belongs in a sticky somewhere. Now I'm getting a little paranoid about my pump shaft, as it's the smooth one. I never thought about pulling it up with the distributor and it dropping in the pan. Shit, I just got the oil pan all sealed up. I guess there's also the possibility of dropping it into the pan when installing it.
JHanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 01:53AM   #67
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint250 View Post
"What you think, create section just for those sources?"

Well you already have a section on the main page called "tech articles" which could be reorganized by the category of the articles?. That would make sifting through them easier.
I see persons started posting questions over there too. Those questions should be moved over to this area of the forums where more people will respond to them.

You have a section for almost every cylinder head made for a Pontiac V-8 so probably create one for the IA II & MR-1 blocks?
I would put a sticky for each block in the top of its section with the manufacturer's instructions if available and any additional known issues and fixes/work a rounds for those that people directly involved have discovered.
Even create one for stock blocks for the same reasons.

You want the document for each in PDF format that is down loadable but can only be edited by you while it is on display on the site. No unauthorized tampering.
All info has to be verified true before it goes into /gets added to the document.
It would take some seat time for you to set up but I know it would be a good reference for people wanting to use these products without having to hit all the same icebergs.

Just like SD MAN's rediscovered article he did on the oil pump mods.
That oil pump article could be condensed and placed in the tech article section.
Perfect thatís a big help. Great idea Iíll start working on it.
Old 05-15-19, 02:06AM   #68
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHanko View Post
This is some great info here. Stuff that definitely belongs in a sticky somewhere. Now I'm getting a little paranoid about my pump shaft, as it's the smooth one. I never thought about pulling it up with the distributor and it dropping in the pan. Shit, I just got the oil pan all sealed up. I guess there's also the possibility of dropping it into the pan when installing it.
Sorry about that, trying to avoid a nightmare down the road. When I was fitting mine, I wanted to make sure disb would set all they way down on the block and seal good with disb gasket, this was before I put the pan on. When I pull disb out, the rod came up with it then fell out the bottom.

I’m like shit if I have to pull disb for any reason ( move it for timing ) I’m screwed. Pull it now because you’ll always have it on your mind, or be scared to death to later.
Old 05-15-19, 12:13PM   #69
JHanko

Quote:
The pan rails are 1/8" taller/lower on blocks with registered mains. But it is assumed (I guess) that the logic would be its gonna be and additional 1/8" in the back as well where the rear pan seal contacts the main cap?
I think there is more to it than that. On my block, if I were to raise the rear main cap 1/8" (to sit on the same plane as the gasket rail), it is still nowhere near high enough to make a proper seal with the pan like a stock block does.

Quote:
Why Butler would sell him a pan gasket they know will not work with the IA II block is weird unless the gasket was not bought at the same time the block was purchased.
The gasket was ordered after the block was (I had to spread out the cash flow for this motor), but I always filled out the questionnaire at the bottom of each order indication that it's going on an IAII 535. Someone simply didn't catch it. No big deal. Butler gave me a store credit for that gasket. Those folks are top notch.
Old 05-15-19, 12:32PM   #70
JHanko

Gach, If you're going to put together a tech section just for this block, I'll gladly contribute all I can to it, including pictures of my problems and solutions including:
Modifying windage tray so oil pan will fit.
Modifying lower dipstick tube to fit with windage tray.
Installing front cover without the aid of dowels (dowel holes in block way too small).
Sealing up oil pan.
Installing long branch cast iron manifolds on IAII.
Modifying aluminum valley pan to fit Edelbrock D port heads.

I'm sure there is more in my future...
Old Yesterday, 12:32AM   #71
JHanko

Well, I am getting close to running out of parts to put on the motor. I hope that means that I'm running out of problems too. I knew the Torker II wouldn't match up with the 325 CFM E-heads very well, but I didn't realize how bad it would be. I spent today port matching the intake to the heads. I was really surprised that the Torker had enough material to go that big, but it did. Barely... Here's a pick showing how much material had to be removed. Now I can relax, knowing I'll be getting the most I can out of this combo.

Old Yesterday, 02:17AM   #72
Gach
Administrator

Nice job ! Itís amazing how much bigger 325 CFM Port it compared to a D-Port Head. Iím working on starting IA11 block section.