PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 04-17-19, 05:31PM   #1
Gach
Administrator

Default Street Racing

Just saw this posted

https://patch.com/texas/houston/hous...-racing-legend
Old 04-18-19, 02:42AM   #2
sprint250
Moteesuh

To friggin ' bad.
That's just one of the negative downsides of the deal.
People have been reproving this type of tragedy for over 75 years.

Nothing you can't do at an organized purpose built racing venue that needs to be done on a public road except break the law and put people/spectators in unnecessary danger.

I'll venture to say the money involved with the bet does not come close to the cost of the medical expenses ,legal fees/fines,possible civil suit damages and possible price of incarceration.

The thrill of it all.
Old 04-18-19, 03:07AM   #3
Gach
Administrator

Damn ! I could never understand Spectators all line up like that, thatís just crazy stupid. Iíve done allot of street racing in my day, we had 4-5 spots, guys would hang out, but never knew what spot we were going to. Weíd have guys leave in different directions dummies. It would always be 1:00 am no house real remote areas. Street racing was big in my area. Never any crowds at races. Only the money holders...LOL.
Old 04-18-19, 03:11AM   #4
Gach
Administrator

Pontiacís were big, had to be 5-6 guys with GTOís The Pontiacís would always clean up. Hell the chief ( well before ) he became Chief had 65 GTO Tir- Power.
Old 04-18-19, 09:09AM   #5
JSPONT

I hate seeing that, I am a big fan of street racing, the only person that should be past the start is one guy filming the finish line. We all understand the risk when street racing, but stupid shit like that really kills me. DO NOT STAND PAST THE STARTING LINE. All the people involved lives are ruined.
JSPONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-19, 10:36AM   #6
sprint250
Moteesuh

Serious street racers do not want to attract a crowd .
They do not want a lot of unknown people standing around and the circus atmosphere that goes along with all of that.
Just a few witnesses and look outs for the parties involved on an open stretch of road with limited access .
They get their business done quickly and they leave the area ASAP to avoid detection by law enforcement.

This other stuff is just plain nuts.
They are playing to the crowd and hangers on.
Old 04-18-19, 11:40AM   #7
70 bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint250 View Post
Serious street racers do not want to attract a crowd .
They do not want a lot of unknown people standing around and the circus atmosphere that goes along with all of that.
Just a few witnesses and look outs for the parties involved on an open stretch of road with limited access .
They get their business done quickly and they leave the area ASAP to avoid detection by law enforcement.

This other stuff is just plain nuts.
They are playing to the crowd and hangers on.
This!! When we race around here its agreed between two drivers, no spectators! and its done in a factory area where you can only kill yourself.
70 bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-19, 12:09AM   #8
Steve C
Verified User

Roll racing ? Example....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwcECGrgEtI

Here the 80 mph Texas 130 tollway can be an event at night. And with it there is talk of the Vetts around here, it can get wicked fast. Not racing, but on it during the day at a 80 mph cruise for me a quick jaunt up to 100..110.. even pushing 120 mph can be a rush. Then time to back off !

Ummm.. install the engine peak torque to provide crisp throttle response for passing on the highway without the need to downshift. Over 600 ft.lbs torque at 4000 up thru 5700 rpm, 3.73 gears.

Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-19, 12:34AM   #9
Gach
Administrator

I guess what ever floats your boat.

At 17 I out ran a cop, I was doing over 100. In my 62 Catalina. Next morning was a nock on door, guess who it was the cop I out ran. Lucky for me my grandmother was his aunt.

He won, just wanted to let me know I didn’t get away with it. That was worse then getting a ticket.
Old 04-19-19, 03:48AM   #10
Steve C
Verified User

Would you not enjoy cruising along at 80 mph and see a Vette coming up and know you could leave it in the dust with a challenge... accelerate like a road rocket.

Old 04-19-19, 12:31PM   #11
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Would you not enjoy cruising along at 80 mph and see a Vette coming up and know you could leave it in the dust with a challenge... accelerate like a road rocket.

Definitely
Old 04-19-19, 12:54PM   #12
Steve C
Verified User

https://patch.com/texas/houston/hous...-racing-legend

The car, which has significant damage as a result of the crash, is in the custody of the sheriff's office and it will be "destroyed in a very public fashion" when the case is concluded, Teare said.
"No one gets in this car and goes to the store. It's designed for one thing," he said.
Old 04-20-19, 12:52AM   #13
sprint250
Moteesuh

4:37 rear gear in my 2 liter 4cyl daily driver.
It'll buzz along all day at 3200 to 3300 rpm in 5th OD just keeping up in traffic at about 65 or so ( used to run a 4.88 but destroyed it at the track w/too much tire).
Jump on the throttle and it takes of like a sprint car.
6500 red line comes up very quick.
Can't stay up there for very long though.
Speedo tops out at 100 and the engine is still pulling.
With the close ratio box the thing is a hoot to drive on the street.
But you really have to watch it cause the brakes are drums and driving in the wet is sketchy especially with the short gear.
One day the needle stayed stuck all the way to the right even after decelerating.
A guy asked me "how fast will that POS truck go" and i told him to go look at the speedometer. LOL
Hit a bump a couple of days later and the tell tale went back to normal operation.