PHP Code:
They look very nice and less money than what you quoted has ported 
How much, and what cc dish.
Old 06-14-18, 02:11AM   #17
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by transtalon View Post
Those IA2 block cylinder wall is not as hard as everyone thinks. It gets scratch relatively easy with those napier rings. I ask my machinist and he said that Brodix is soft and Dart is hard. IA2 is in the middle of those two blocks. This is when he bore and hone the block.
I agree..Iíll tell you what if you run anti freeze with that block and blow a head gasket Youíll see just how hard it is, anti freeze eats cylinder walls.
Old 06-14-18, 02:28AM   #18
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
I agree..Iíll tell you what if you run anti freeze with that block and blow a head gasket Youíll see just how hard it is, anti freeze eats cylinder walls.
Explain, not sure I am following you. It it as in, if anti freeze gets in the cylinder it is going to jack it up, or the cylinder will be unscathed ?
I remember you saying how much trouble your machinist had honing your block.

I am 53, 3 bores is most likely going to last me my lifetime.
Hell, I have been on the same bore with my 455 since 1990 and still going.
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-18, 11:31AM   #19
Gach
Administrator

I have all the pictures, I wouldnít run anti Freeze with that block run Water Wetter instead, allot of tracks wonít let you run anti freeze at least back then may have changed.

When I get some time Iíll post some pictures of the cylinder walls and the story
Just so nothing gets taken out of contents. You need to hear the whole story. This happen on the 9.45 run. With Robins old Wide Ports, that flow 40 CFM less at .550 lift compared to Dave Wilcox heads. Dave heads flow 20 CFM better then Gabyís Wide posts. I was surprised. I think the difference the new E-heads fast chamber and his CNC design canít let that info out, not fair to him, until we get results. Just my experience with anti freeze and blown head gasket, but Like I said you have to hear the whole story and one can draw their own conclusions.

Just my opinion the IA11 block not what itís crack up to be, thereís been issues I believe kept from the public. When I get time Iíll follow up.
Old 06-14-18, 06:28PM   #20
Dragncar

If its not what it is cracked up to be, what else do we have ?? The MR1 ?
Most people think the IA2 is a little better block. Especially the way you get them. I know of folks that had to spend a ton to get their MR1 ready.
You had one of the old IA2s. Registered only caps. There have been several changes since then, including machine shops. What I hear about the latest IA2s has been good with them not needing a ton of work. Mine is a 2016 with with all the latest upgrades.
I guess I will find out when I take it to Lewis Racing to get done.
He has one of those expensive all in one CNC centers where it locates on 2 spots and can do it all from there. Boring, line boring ect. Frank told me I should at lest cjeck the line bore.
I have some new stock type std 400 main bearings in a box. I will put a crank in it and see how it spins when I get it home. Its at my brothers shop right now. I bought the wife a new dishwasher so it might be OK to bring it home. You know how that goes LOL.
BTW, did Jack run them dry deck ? Over on PY several are trying to talk me into leaving it dry decked. Sounds like a pain and more dollars to me. It will all depend on what Scott recommends anyway.
But if you go boost it might be the way for you to go. If I do it at least I would not ever have to worry about water in the cylinders.
Old 06-14-18, 07:20PM   #21
Dragncar

Quote:
I have all the pictures, I wouldnít run anti Freeze with that block run Water Wetter instead, allot of tracks wonít let you run anti freeze at least back then may have changed.

When I get some time Iíll post some pictures of the cylinder walls and the story
Just so nothing gets taken out of contents. You need to hear the whole story. This happen on the 9.45 run. With Robins old Wide Ports, that flow 40 CFM less at .550 lift compared to Dave Wilcox heads. Dave heads flow 20 CFM better then Gabyís Wide posts. I was surprised. I think the difference the new E-heads fast chamber and his CNC design canít let that info out, not fair to him, until we get results. Just my experience with anti freeze and blown head gasket, but Like I said you have to hear the whole story and one can draw their own conclusions.

Just my opinion the IA11 block not what itís crack up to be, thereís been issues I believe kept from the public. When I get time Iíll follow up.
Do you think his heads would surpass Marcellas and Siks E heads (414-420cfm) if they had Ti valves ? The best two I know of.
But you blew a head gasket with the 365 E heads ? Were there any extenuating circumstances ? I want to avoid that at all costs. My CR will be 11.5-1
Old 06-14-18, 09:18PM   #22
Gach
Administrator

No, I was told at the time to run the O’ring copper head gaskets, I got from Any Mitchell, My plains at the time was to run a two stage nitrous set up. Hence copper O’ring head gaskets. Never seeing a O’ ring copper head gasket I though
What I got were, turns out they were just regular copper a gasket’s.

I’ll put up a picture, there’s a ridge around the cylinders in what I mistaken thought for a built in O’ring. That were supposed to have, turns out he sent me the wrong ones. Had no O’ring at all. Went to the Comedic head gaskets and never had a problem since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	919AFFCB-F949-41AE-9912-1474FE184525.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	29326  
Old 06-14-18, 09:46PM   #23
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Do you think his heads would surpass Marcellas and Siks E heads (414-420cfm) if they had Ti valves ? The best two I know of.
But you blew a head gasket with the 365 E heads ? Were there any extenuating circumstances ? I want to avoid that at all costs. My CR will be 11.5-1
Dave has a whole different Approach to Head porting, he calls it Venturi CNC port. When I got the heads I took them To Larryís and flowed them went through them with a fine tooth comb. I was blown away comparing them to Robinís Wide Ports at 550 lift they flow 40 CFM more the Robins Heads 20 CFM more across the board then Gabyís. 46 CFM more on the exhaust. Then Robins. Are they better then Marcella or Gabyís I donít know.

2.28 intake valve and 1.74 exhaust...intake to exhaust flow ratio is 70%.
So comparing them to Robin Heads which made 761 hp these Heads with same cam, but more lift .789 should make well over 800 hp. Buy only 264/276 duration.

The titanium valves are like if your going to be buzzing it to 8-9000. With this cam itíll make peak power at 6500. Vs 7200 With Gaby Heads with that 270/280 duration cam with .856 lift.
Old 06-15-18, 12:05AM   #24
SikGoat
ECMTTFMF'S

On our 4th IA Block and other the straightening the cam bore in one of them we have never had a problem with them that we didn't cause ourselves. Have our first solid aluminum IAII being delivered tomorrow. (100# weight savings)
4.54 @ 164mph @ 3650lbs
SikGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 02:31AM   #25
Dragncar

Quote:
Dave has a whole different Approach to Head porting, he calls it Venturi CNC port. When I got the heads I took them To Larry’s and flowed them went through them with a fine tooth comb. I was blown away comparing them to Robin’s Wide Ports at 550 lift they flow 40 CFM more the Robins Heads 20 CFM more across the board then Gaby’s. 46 CFM more on the exhaust. Then Robins. Are they better then Marcella or Gaby’s I don’t know.

2.28 intake valve and 1.74 exhaust...intake to exhaust flow ratio is 70%.
So comparing them to Robin Heads which made 761 hp these Heads with same cam, but more lift .789 should make well over 800 hp. Buy only 264/276 duration.

The titanium valves are like if your going to be buzzing it to 8-9000. With this cam it’ll make peak power at 6500. Vs 7200 With Gaby Heads with that 270/280 duration cam with .856 lift.
20cfm more than my Gabby heads would put them @ 426cfm. Thats at .900 lift. Makes them the best ever, on a bench you would think. They have a 2.28 vs a 2.25, has to help a little too.
Old 06-15-18, 02:37AM   #26
Dragncar

Quote:
No, I was told at the time to run the Oíring copper head gaskets, I got from Any Mitchell, My plains at the time was to run a two stage nitrous set up. Hence copper Oíring head gaskets. Never seeing a Oí ring copper head gasket I though
What I got were, turns out they were just regular copper a gasketís.

Iíll put up a picture, thereís a ridge around the cylinders in what I mistaken thought for a built in Oíring. That were supposed to have, turns out he sent me the wrong ones. Had no Oíring at all. Went to the Comedic head gaskets and never had a problem since.
Everyone is trying to get me to go dry deck, reverse cooling ect on PY. Its interesting and all. Asked Scott and he says go wet deck. Studs and Cometic.
Seals that deal. Much cheaper and not a pain in the ass. Winner.
Steve C. E mailed me a bunch of info and pics of cooing options(thanks, Steve) Maybe I can keep it wet deck and do some modifications that will help it out there.
Old 06-15-18, 11:53AM   #27
Steve C
Verified User

I have purchased two IA2 blocks. John's used on the Fairmont is run dry deck and reverse cooled. His is race only with nitrous. The other is a street application in my Trans AM and it's run wet and uses smaller diameter for the water holes located near the bore. We use a Cometic gasket custom made specific for us with our own assigned part number for our hole locations and sizes. My engine builder drilled the holes based on a pattern provided to me about 12 years ago by Ken Keefer.

Not the same as our specific gasket but Cometic sells a shelf gasket with 20 percent smaller cooling holes in certain locations.

Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 12:49PM   #28
Steve C
Verified User

Example using a FelPro cylinder head gasket with large water holes.

A drawback to this gasket is that its coolant holes are rather large and located fairly closely to the combustion ring. It’s visible when overlaid on an NOS original Pontiac head gasket shown in the link attached. If the ring is compromised in any way, compression can push past the gasket and enter the coolant system, which can result in major damage. While it may not be a big deal on some street applications it can be an issue with forced induction, nitrous or an extreme compression ratio.

https://www.pontiacdiy.com/wp-content/uploads/37.jpg
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 01:02PM   #29
Gach
Administrator

I have a picture of patten on my computer Iíll have to dig it out and post it. Thereís three water holes that donít get drill out on each side of the block and then just use a regular comedic head gasket. Supposedly forces the water through the head. I know thereís many different configurations that people say works. All I can say is so far this works great ! Motor never gets above 180-190 even on the return road.

I gave it to the machine shop and had them drill all the water holes, matchís up with the head gaskets perfectly. The three holes that donít get drill out are on top left on both sides of the block. Iím guessing very similar to what Steve c is talking about.

I get time today Iíll dig them out and post them. I donít run anti-freeze I run Water Wetter.
Old 06-15-18, 01:29PM   #30
KrisR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Its all up to Scott and if I can get the rings in that bore. I understand there are some bore sizes you can't get some rings for.
He showed me a pic of a "like" HP builds Ross pistons with the gas ports I need. They look very nice and less money than what you quoted. Rings are more though. I kept the pins and locks from the pistons I sold so I will run them.
If the 4.360 bore will work with his custom rings sounds like a plan. I thought the "big" hole was much larger and would need a sleeve no matter what. If I can make it work with no sleeves then the price I got the block for makes it a even better deal. Big cam, big lifter too.
Bores are #1 4.339 #3 4.344 #5 4.344 #7 4.361
#2 4.338 #4 4.338 #6 4.339 #8 4.339
4.360 would give me one bore. 4.380 is another then you have 4.41 . Might be a plan.
You would have a hard time NOT making 1200HP with your heads. Would be very cool. Single turbo ? 12 bolt might not like the extra power for very long though.
OMFG! You're overthinking it. Speak to diamond, get them to make you a piston with the pin at the right height. Then speak to Total Seal and get them to make you a ring pack for the bore. Go with the smallest bore you can, i.e. 4.360+0.005 and file them to fit (!!!!!!!!!).
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote