> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 09-09-18, 07:29PM   #1
Gach
Administrator

Default Rocker arm geometry

Rocker arm geometry, simple to figure out RIGHT! Iíve been debating on whether not to start a thread, most know how itís done, simple use and adjustable push rod, set your lash spin motor over a couple of times, ( use a Magic marker to color/coat top of the valve) once youíve spoon the motor over a couple times, pull rocker and see were the wear patten is. ( should fall in the middle of the valve )

If it closer to the valve then your push rod to short, if itís closer to exhaust then itís to long, adjust your push rod until the wear pattern falls in the middle of valve. Then just measure your push rod and order up. Easy Right!

Ok what if itís a rocker shaft set up, is it the same procedure..well basically yes!
If you fellow their instructions, one of the things they say in the instructions is that the base has lettering on it and that lettering goes towards the valve.

Ok..got it! But in my case my base had lettering on both sides one side side Edel ( for Edelbrock) the other side had ( Pont ) stamped on it. Question is which lettering side goes towards the valve?

Ok, I better call T&D and ask to make sure, so Tech guys says the lettering that says ( Edel ) goes towards the valve.

After two days of racking my brains out, and no matter what I did it kept showing the push rod was to long, I now have three adjustable push rods, and with using the shortest one, itís telling me, itís still to long. Ok they just donít make a shorter adjustable push rod...so now what.
Old 09-09-18, 07:57PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

Like I said Racking my brains out, finally looking at were the roller falls on the valve, noticing it starts on the exhaust side. Almost like the rocker is to long. So a call to T&D, are you sure the rocker Assembly you sent me is for a Pontiac and not a SBC. His answer after he checked, nope itís for a Pontiac. Ok thanks.

Finally after looking Iím like what if the side that says ( Pont ) instead of ( Edel) is turned around facing the valves hum? So I made the switch instantly I could see the difference on were the roller tip falls on the valve. Iím like BINGO!!
I roll the motor over a couple of times and guess WHAT! It falls perfectly in the center of the valve !!!

So, the tech guys was WRONG! So I called him, tell him what I found, iím usually very respectful and patient everybody makes mistakes. But this asshole was arrogant, iím like if youíre going to use the lettering for a marking as to what side faces the valves DONT! Put lettering on both sides. All I wanted him to do was admitted he was wrong and correct the problem so no one else has to through what I did.

Thereís other issues iím trying to get resolved, although not major issues..letís see how the handle it tomorrow. If not itís a call to credit card company.
Old 09-10-18, 02:52PM   #3
Gach
Administrator

Thank you T&D, they have 3 different size bolts 1Ē 7/8Ē and 3/4Ē I need 3/4Ē their sending them right out. $30.00 and will credit me once they recive the 1Ē ones back.