PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Engine Buildups in progress
User Name
Password

Engine Buildups in progress Tell us what your latest project is, and post a few pics.

sponser links

Old 08-14-17, 12:21AM   #46
Gach
Administrator

I'd run the up dated Version of the Ram 3 tri-power cam has good idel 600-700 make good torque.
Old 08-14-17, 12:35AM   #47
Gach
Administrator

Just went back and read your first post, see your running aluminum E-heads, forget the Ram 3 cam, thing would be a dog. Save your money go with hyd roller, or stick to Ram 1V for now. Although not really cam to use with that head.
Old 08-14-17, 11:16AM   #48
Mb125

You don't need a roller cam to do what you want to do.
Old 08-14-17, 01:34PM   #49
Steve C
Verified User

Overlap is a factor in idle quality. Compare the overlap on a "041" cam to other cams with similar .050" duration numbers !

Example:

The Crower 60919 '041' clone:
304 / 316 - 113
84 degrees overlap

Comp XE274H:
274 / 286 - 110
60 degrees overlap

Both for the sake of an example have the 'same' intake duration at .050" lift.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/overlap-calc.php

( not a recommendation for the Comp cam, only used here as an example )

Steve C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 01:44PM   #50
Steve C
Verified User

Here is some information I've regurgitated on numerous occasions. It was published by David Vizard, and related. Especially with the use of aftermarket cylinder heads that typically flow at higher valve lift.

The 0.470" lift of '041' cam in conjunction with Edelbrock cylinder heads lift curve won't mean diddly-squat !

A 2-valve cylinder head typically continues to flow more air up to lift values equal to as much as 0.35-0.4 times the valve diameter. The reason for this is that there is a flow pattern transition period that takes place at a lift value of about 0.25 of the valve's diameter. When this point is passed, if the port has been modified to support flow in this lift region, the valve efficiency actually starts to increase. This is the reason why a 2-valve engine responds to high lift."

"If you want to build a street motor with the most power without a sacrifice of idle and low speed qualities, then lift is the most important factor to maximize, not duration. The best street cams are those that seek to maximize lift while only adding a minimal amount of duration."

Bottom line, the engine wants all the lift it can and thrives on it so run as much as mechanically achievable or unless prohibitive because of cost limitations. Obviously if it's a street application or race application will have a bearing on the situation, most here would be hesitant to run 0.700 lift on the street ! And I presume there is longevity to consider, a weekend cruiser only or a 100,000 mile daily driver.

Steve C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 02:15PM   #51
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb125 View Post
You don't need a roller cam to do what you want to do.
No you don't, but he mention the possibility, or was thinking about it, sounds like to me he's on a tight budget, plus having to do this motor twice.
Old 08-14-17, 07:15PM   #52
Mb125

Let me dig through my stuff I may have a cam to help a brother out.
Old 08-14-17, 08:16PM   #53
Dragncar

I have a Lunati cam. All broke in. Its .540 lift and .240 @ .050 duration. Might be a little big for you. I think it ran 12.20s, 455, 6X8s, RPM. He spun a rod bearing just like I told him he would. And bought the whole engine from him. (it was in a Camaro)
It would rock in a 455 with E heads.
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 09:34PM   #54
Mb125

I have 2 cams
One is stamped 250503 and I can't find any information on it
The other cam is a Lunati q7702
Rex if you want either one they are yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170814_172417.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	29201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170814_172525.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	29202  
Old 08-16-17, 01:26AM   #55
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

MB125 , the Lunati cam , do you know the lift & duration on it. Would this be a good one for me. The car is driven mostly on the street & I only get to the track about 1 or 2 times a year. When I had the 455 (462 ) in the car the last time I got kicked off the track for going to fast without the proper stuff in the car. I want the car to idle a bit smoother then it does now as the Crane Blueprint RA IV cam thats in the car now works great but it gets terrible gas mileage , only 8-9 per gallon which makes it hard fro me to go any where because I am on a fixed income & gas going through it so fast makes it hard to go any where farther then 30-40 miles away. I want it to run good like it does now with the 400 .60 over in it now with the E-heads. Dragncar why would this one be to big for me ?? The RA IV cam has .520 lift as I'm running the 1.65 roller tip rocker now which give it the .520 lift now. Is it the duration that it has. I'm not that up on what duration effects has on the engine but if it would give me good idle & still give me the power I'm looking for, well, would it be a good choice for me ? Without going out to the garage & digging out the cam card I'm not sure how much duration the Crane RA IV cam has. Steve your saying the RA IV cam only has .470 lift but am I wrong saying the Crane RA IV cam has .520 lift with the 1.65 rockers installed. I don't remember who told me that the .520 lift of this cam was that with the 1.65 rockers. Yes, No ? Steve C. I had tried the Crower 60919 cam once , but It went flat on me because I tried to break it in with out good oil, which was a big mistake on my part so I never got a chance to know what it was like in the engine at that time. Do I need to look at cams with more over lap or less over lap ?? I know I'm asking a bunch of questions but I don't know a lot about how to pick a cam for this engine. If you haven't seen the past posts about it the engine is a 455 + .60 over, with Ross forged light weight pistons, 435 grams, I have an Eagle crank that because of the past problems it is now .10 .10 now. I also have Eagle H-beam rods. I have been collecting this stuff for about 3-4 years now & have the machine work done now & the block was decked , & line honed & all balanced to within 1.5 grams. The E-heads are the Round port heads which I plan on installing the 1.77 exhaust valves in. I've been told that will help those heads quite a bit. I had the RA IV cam in this engine when it was only .30 over & it ran great, lots of TQ & it ran extremely fast. The trans is an M-22 & the rear gears are 3:73's. My 73 GTO weighs ion at 3640, + me at 230. Give me some advice on this ,,, Please. If that Lunati cam will work for this I would be glad to have it. Let me know & if it will work for this combo I'll be glad to give you my address & I'll pay the shipping if you can wait for awhile. I only get paid once a month. Thanks Rex.
rexs73gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 01:45AM   #56
Mb125

I'll look up the exact numbers on the Lunati cam.
This cam was in a 400 in a 68 GTO with highway gears and a stock converter. It just was to much cam for that car but should be good on a 455.
I'll get back to you
Old 08-17-17, 01:38PM   #57
Mb125

Here is the cam card for the lunati cam.
Maybe someone can chime in how this would work in a 455 with edelbrocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170817_093409.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	29208  
Old 08-18-17, 01:22AM   #58
1967pontiac

The trans is an M-22 & the rear gears are 3:73's. My 73 GTO weighs ion at 3640, + me at 230. Give me some advice on this ,,, Please. If that Lunati cam will work for this I would be glad to have it. Let me know & if it will work for this combo I'll be glad to give you my address & I'll pay the shipping if you can wait for awhile. I only get paid once a month. Thanks Rex.[/quote]

What size of tire are you running?
1967pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 10:20AM   #59
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

Any cam can "work" but will it do what YOU want in the engine!If a street car,tight lobe separation are usually not as street friendly.The reason there are SO many diff combinations avail.Tom
tjs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 04:38PM   #60
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I'm trying to every little detail correct on this one as I'm getting to old to be pulling engines out all the time & want this one to be the last one in, & no more out. I have spent good money on the machine work to make sure it's right & so far it looks better then good. I still am waiting for someone to give me an idea on a cam if I don't use the RA IV cam again. I want it to have good power & speed but would like it to idle a bit lower & smoother then the RA IV cam does in my car right now. It idles at about 900 rpms & is a bit rough at that rpm. I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to get both of those with out going to a roller cam set up. I don't want to ,,, & can't because of cost . I'm on S.S. & that money doesn't go very far these days.
If your looking for something that's going to have a little smoother idel then the Ram-4 cam say under 900 rpm, don't think that's going to happen and trying to make 500+ hp. Your is going to be a 462 ci, I just comparing it to Mr Pontiac motor which is a 406 ci motor. I don't know what his idels at, but he did run 12.1's. Maybe you can asked him.

I would recommend they same cam I recommend for him, your close to 56 ci more then him. I think the idel characteristics would be about the same as a Ram -4 cam. But you'll make a ton of torque. Part # 60243. It's on a 112 and will give you a good idel and is good for 9.5 to 10.1 compression. It's $162.00 it would be a killer cam for what you want.