PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> High Port Head
User Name
Password

High Port Head High Port owners can give there opinions along with their track results

sponser links

Old 03-09-11, 03:01PM   #61
SDTempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post
400@.600

No wonder the CV-1 guys keep trying to compare their stuff to yours

FWIW: My heads are standard pushrod location Highports and are flowed on a 4.21" bore.
SDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 03:21PM   #62
Gach
Administrator

Holy chit there Andy.. 400 cfm @ .600 lift. That's it I'm changing Dan's name to Dan the magic man.
Old 03-09-11, 03:39PM   #63
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTempest View Post

No wonder the CV-1 guys keep trying to compare their stuff to yours

FWIW: My heads are standard pushrod location Highports and are flowed on a 4.21" bore.
They'll be allot of guys spending a ton of money and allot of excuses made on why the power isn't there.
Old 03-09-11, 04:04PM   #64
EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Holy chit there Andy.. 400 cfm @ .600 lift. That's it I'm changing Dan's name to Dan the magic man.
Ya Dan isn't to bad.
EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 04:09PM   #65
EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
They'll be allot of guys spending a ton of money and allot of excuses made on why the power isn't there.
I bet those engine make good power but they won't do anything that couldn't be done with a couple other heads that are out there.
Old 03-09-11, 04:22PM   #66
EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Do any of you think I can really go faster with a 380 HP head on a stock block 462 vs a E head that flows less in the end but gets me down the track quicker.
By the way I plan on next winter starting a 400 build (3.75 stroke) that will be a true street engine (drive it from coast to coast) and make close to 650hp. The plan right now is to run the best head (either HP or the new Victor heads) and intake combo that I can get, put a somewhat mild cam in it with good lift and see what it will do. Those heads I expect will flow over 350cfm with a 2.150 valve with no problem.
Again flow means nothing (will almost nothing) it is the size of the port that matters (cross sectional area not port cc), since the HP head has raised runners it will flow more than an e-head given both ports are sized the same. That is the advantage of the raised runner, it gives the air/fuel a straight path to the valve.
Old 03-09-11, 04:33PM   #67
Dragncar

Exactly EC, there is no reason to cant the valve and go with a non Pontiac type head on a Pontiac if it can not beat current inline tech.
The BBC guys would never have thought in a million years we would be pushing 1000HP on normal sized Pontiacs with inline valves.
Also, you can get heart shaped chambers on E heads from SD. On 72cc heads only. They might not be as efficient as HP or Tiger chambers but they are a lot better than old school E head chambers.
P Dude got his done with old school chambers.
Wait until someone goes with cfmc CNC Tiger 450 cfm heads on a 572, then they might make 1000+.
Dan did make those 450cfm oval port High Ports awhile back, anyone know what happened to them?
My deal, I just want to race with the new parts I should have and have waited forever on.
I know the 380 HPs on a 462 will want way more than the current 4200 stall I have now.
I bet the 340-350 E head would get me down to 10 flat with the combo I have right now, same cam, same conv. Then with a 525 I could run 9.6-7 if I wanted too.
Who knows what type of head will be available in 2 years.
Just the look on the guys faces running 10 flat in a pump gas stock block Pontiac would be worth it.
Running side by side with the 10 second Vega who rules the track would be priceless.
Also my Pontiac buddy ran out of money and sold his nice tube framed 66 GTO to a Chevy guy who is putting a very large cid sbc in it making 700 HP.
You have got to know how much I would love showing that car my bumper.
Dragncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 04:53PM   #68
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post
I bet those engine make good power but they won't do anything that couldn't be done with a couple other heads that are out there.
Exactly...I think the reason the CV made it as far as it did, had allot to do with timing, one the Tiger head wasn't available and HP was on it's second casting company. The thought of canted valve head for Pontiac was new and exciting with what some thought had allot of possiblitys. Here we are three years later and it turns out it's not any better. I've learn allot in the last three years.
Old 03-09-11, 05:10PM   #69
EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Wait until someone goes with cfmc CNC Tiger 450 cfm heads on a 572, then they might make 1000+.
That would be interesting, although I think you are crazy to run a 4.75 stroke crank in a standard deck height block but that is just me.
Old 03-09-11, 06:00PM   #70
Dragncar

Rex, the HP king runs a offset ground 4.5 crank ( overseas forging I think) down to sbc journal size, 4.6 or 4.65.
Just got off the phone with Dave and the 380 CNC program is there, just not refined. There are some 800HP pump gas engines out there but they have the smaller chamber.
Dave said he could run the CNC program as is on my HPs even though it is really for the smaller chambered heads. It will still make power, probably the 700 I am after, but all at a higher RPM. That means new stall if I want it perfect. The whole program is still on the back burner.
Or put my value towards some of the 340-350 E heads. Those heads are the ones that have worked out very well for him. He tells me I would make 700HP easy with them and the cam I have. Still could make 800 with a 535 on pump gas.
It could be the fastest way to get what I want.
I could run the 72cc heart shaped chamber, but that would get me 11.33 CR. A bit too high for pump gas, BUT I could do a 40-60 mix with 110 gas and have plenty of room.
And in that case I would get over 700 horsepower.
In a nut shell the 340-350 E head will make my 462 run like a animal.
They already have my Victor and they have a CNC runner program to match the ports.
I am liking the sound of this.
Same everything I have, same cam, conv, headers and 10 flat.
I could even just bolt them on my .060 over 455 if Dan takes too long with the 462.
Old 03-09-11, 08:12PM   #71
EC

You will reach you goals with the e-heads. I would save some money and not get SD modified chambers (I don't think what he does will do much), P-dude has proven they make power.
Old 03-09-11, 10:27PM   #72
Gach
Administrator

X2
Old 03-10-11, 12:14AM   #73
Dragncar

The heart shaped chamber does not cost much. I know it knocks off at least 2 deg timing.
Even the non heart shaped chambers at SD are not stock Edelbrock. He modifies the chambers from 72ccs to larger chambers.
P dudes have this done to them.
Old 03-10-11, 03:14PM   #74
EC

Do you have a pic of the chamber mod? From what I remember all they did was add a little material between the exhaust and intake on the quench side of the chamber at was it.
Old 03-10-11, 08:34PM   #75
Dragncar

I looked all over SDs website for a pick, could not find it.
You are pretty much right about the mod. They weld up the area between the valves and make it as much a heart shape as they can.
Its not a sweet chamber like the High Ports have.
If I go with it I will have to mix a bit of race gas in as it would be 11.33 CR.
You might be right. I could be better off to just get the chamber the right size for 10.7 CR on the 462 so it would be a true pump gas engine and then worry about dishing the pistons for a 535 later.
Might not be 10HP in the mod, I will ask Dave if its worth it.