PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 07-23-19, 04:03PM   #16
Mb125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint250 View Post
"That would be complete suicide
You would loose more money than you would make
Are you aware of what just a decent paint job cost?
Then add on the $$ of all the sheet metal work before the bodywork"

There is that one business in Florida that is doing just that with the latest generation of Camaros.
They are reskinning the cars to look like TA's
They even had a reality TV pilot show for a while.
reality show says it all
Old 07-23-19, 11:56PM   #17
sprint250
Moteesuh

Oh it was all that complete with the "Oh my god we gotta work all night to make our deadline" drama . Nothing goes right but they manage to get the car ready before the big reveal.
Same script different cast of characters. LOL

This is their site.
Tran Am Specialties
https://transamflorida.com/index.htm

They are asking crazy money for the GM licensed re-skinned TA/ Camaros.
Makes the new Corvette look like a steal.
Old 07-24-19, 12:44AM   #18
Gach
Administrator

I was pretty excited when I watch the show Until I found out what it cost i'm like OK that's out for me.
Old 07-26-19, 12:42AM   #19
sprint250
Moteesuh

U & Me Both.
I'll be fixed income in a year so looking and longing for stuff like that is totally out.
Got no blue sky lotto money laying around here. LOL
Just go get a Camaro and put a Firebird decal on the hood and tell yourself its OK. LOL
I'll hang on to what I have and enjoy it until its time to sell.
Old 07-26-19, 01:27AM   #20
Gach
Administrator

It's crazy how many things have become out of reach.
Old 07-28-19, 01:46PM   #21
sprint250
Moteesuh

Just as a reference point:
In 1969/1970 the average cost of 96/98 octane premium leaded gasoline was 29.9 cents a gallon.
$3600 to $4000 bought a lot of automobile.
$30,000 bought a lot of house in California.
Home mortgage rates for 30 year fixed were around 6% (people could actually pay off their mortgages if they did not get stupid).
Minimum wage was at $1.50 and hour.
Skilled trades were making $6 to $8 an hour.
A loaf of bread was .30 or less .
Taxpayers were allowed to claim personal credit/dept interest as a deduction on their income taxes (that included car loans & charge accounts). Feds killed that in 1975.
California state sales tax was 2%.

In 1976 I bought the 1970 Firebird I still have.
Paid a whopping $1900 for it.
It was a clean one owner California 350 car that had been taken in on trade at a local BMW dealership (they even painted it).
The BMW's on the showroom there were going out the door for $14,000 to $22,000 .
Me and the wife looked at each other and said "how can anyone afford that kind of shit and who would be dumb enough to pay it when you could go down the street and by a new USA made car fully loaded for $5,000". LOL
B of A would not finance the Firebird citing they did not write loans on cars older than 3 years. Not enough money in it for them ! LOL
Went down to the credit union I belonged to and they basically said how much do you need? They would finance 100% of low blue book. Pay the difference in cash to the dealer.
Needless to say all my meager assets were pulled from B of A and accounts with them immediately closed. Been with the credit union ever since.

In 2000 you could get a basic F-150 truck for $15,000.
I paid $2,300 1 yr old used for mine in 1975 (still have it and it always gets worked).
Radio delete , rubber mats,manual trans,power steering,no A/C, no power windows,no power brakes,no extended cab,"8 FOOT STANDARD BED". Basically a workhorse truck.
Look at what the "Cadillac" trucks of today sell for, and then people dump another 10 or twenty grand into them to customize 'em. That and a loan that starts to rival a mortgage.

I see the extended cab short bed trucks rolling around and the drivers cannot get them into a standard parking spot at a home improvement store. Can't load enough material into them safely(4x8 sheet of drywall or plywood is the true test). Forget ever driving into a parking structure with it.
They cannot negotiate a cul-de-sac or make a simple U-turn without it turning into a 3 point turn extravaganza. LOL
Remember the urban "crew cab dually" fad of the 1980's and 1990's? Now you hardly ever see 'em unless they are out on a a farm or towing a 5th wheel trailer.
Now SUV's have taken the place of the venerable station wagon/family sedan.Line 'em and you can't tell 'em apart . To me they all look like lifted AMC Pacers.LOL

I must be getting old. LOL
Old 07-28-19, 05:38PM   #22
Gach
Administrator

Its crazy isn't it. In 1970 I bought our first house three bed room home...ranch stye. Paid 21,000.00 mortage...insurance...taxes. Was 120.00 a month. Making 6.00 hour with tons of side jobs. Made deal with builder, did my own plumbing heating, painting for down payment.

In 1984 I started building houses, the complete package for a three bed room range style house was $3200.00 from roof singles to foundation. Included sheet rock kitchen cabinets, interior trim and doors...windows. I built 27 house or until shit hit the fan, and interest rates went to 10-11%. Good thing I kept the Plumbing business.
Old 07-29-19, 01:32AM   #23
sprint250
Moteesuh

You could get six candy bars for a quarter at the Thrifty Drug Store !
An AMT model car kit was $2.00 !
LOL
Yes times have certainly changed.
One thing is still true.
If you are a skilled craftsman you never sell your tools. The tools pay the bills.
Old 07-29-19, 08:19PM   #24
Gach
Administrator

Thats for sure, something always comes up those tools come in handy.
Old 07-30-19, 08:15AM   #25
Zedo
prodigal son

[quote=sprint250;450651]"That would be complete suicide
You would loose more money than you would make
Are you aware of what just a decent paint job cost?
Then add on the $$ of all the sheet metal work before the bodywork"

There is that one business in Florida that is doing just that with the latest generation of Camaros.
They are reskinning the cars to look like TA's
They even had a reality TV pilot show for a while.[/QUOT

I never said it had to make any money.
Ford lost money on every Boss 429 Mustang they made.
but they made them anyway. now they're valuable.
I'd create the cars just to do it. got that ? ok let that sink in.
see that's the problem, everyone focused on money.
the pyramids of Egypt, Stonehenge, and Mona Liza were not created to make money. but they're still here.
now they're treasures.

I'm thinking rhetorically here, not literally. like if I hit the lottery kinda thing...

another thing I'd do, is start buying up the homes in my home town, especially these poor taste McMansions, and tearing the fking things down. leveling them. and let the lots sit empty.

that wouldn't make money either.

free your mind from this make money schit. it's paper they print with fking ink, and digits on a piece of paper, or in a computer. you won't live one minute longer than God ordains you to live, no matter how much money you have.

try to create something that will still be here after you're gone. or do something creative or good with it.

I'd rather see a bunch of lame ass 1973-81 Camaros cloned into Firebirds, with real Pontiac engines in them.
than see a pile of rotting Camaros getting crushed for scrap metal.
they're raw material to make Firebirds out of.
they're Firebirds with birth defects.
and eventually, they'd sell, they'd be valuable. because it's a dwindling commodity.

just like land, they stopping making it.

Last edited by Zedo : 07-30-19 at 09:07AM.
Zedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 09:03AM   #26
Zedo
prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint250 View Post
Wayyyyyyy to much verbage.
He likes the sound of his own voice.
That guy should have done more time fact checking & less time trying to turn a colorful phrase.

'67 Firebird 6 cylinder cars were never V6 cars .
OHC 6 appeared on the 66 Tempest. Not much about that either.

Ramble on.
he's a younger guy who didn't do his homework.
they only know what they can read online, or in a magazine.
so if that's bad information, or misinformation, that's all he knows.
the main theme of the story is good, though
he put up the GM CEO's reasons for shutting down Pontiac,
in his exact own words.
which is what I suspected all along.
OBAMA killed Pontiac.
so to the guys who voted for him, gee thanks.
way to kill off Pontiac, good job.
think before you vote,
or next time they'll outlaw mom, and apple pie too.
look at the big picture,
there's a sector of people out there,
who hate everything American, and hate America,
and want to see it go up in flames.
if they could crush every musclecar made today,
with a push of a button,
they'd do it, smiling and laughing.
Old 07-30-19, 12:02PM   #27
sprint250
Moteesuh

Yeah I get all that.
GM's business plan was flawed for twenty years prior to the government bailout.
If they had gone to the Bush administration with their problems they probably would have ended up with the same results & maybe gotten less money so save their ship.
The Bush administration was just beginning dealing with all the fallout from the home mortgage/securities/bank failures that had been festering since the Clinton administration and before that.
I don't think if would have made much difference which president was in office.
By that time the bean counters were calling most of the shots.
Obama did not have a head for high finance he just had to be convinced to sign off on the deal. So good or bad it took place on his watch.
& nope I did not vote for that guy either.
Remember the country's economy had navigated out of the S&L failure scandal of the late 1980's early 1990's & blown a lot of money on the 1st & 2nd gulf wars.
Any lessons learned there? NOPE .Keep cranking out bad paper as long as you can keep passing it on to the next sucker.

The people running the government (including both houses of congress) were all warned about the icebergs but they did not pay attention to the lookouts.
Full speed ahead The party on the upper decks was just too good to stop it. LOL

Also this was not the first time in GM's history that the corporation almost tanked.
Old 07-30-19, 05:50PM   #28
Gach
Administrator

Anyone who believes there's such a thing as republican or democrat President is blinded by the simple fact, this country is own by corporate America they own the politician.

Corporate America Owns the news media, Trump ant going to do shit, unless us as Americans grow some balls, like with yellow vest and France and whats going on in European countries nothing is going to change.
Old 08-13-19, 10:10PM   #29
Zedo
prodigal son

Trump is kicking asz...he managed to get gold, the DOW, and the dollar index to all go UP today, at the same time. and the Fed Reserve interest rate, went DOWN. that has never happened before. he's strong arming the Rothschilds and Rockefellers.
Old 08-14-19, 12:44AM   #30
Gach
Administrator

He sure did, he temporarily lifted the Tariffs today, September the new IPhones are coming out, back to school sales. On all Apple products IPads laptops. IPhone Apple is really hurting. Samsung sold 85-90 billion worth of phones Apple sold haft of that. about 43 billon...LOL it wouldíve have killed Apply if he hadnít lifted the tariffs. This is their biggest time of the year, when new IPhones come out. You know just like Cook...LOL

Thatís why stock market jumped. Hereís another false positive, he gave millions in tax brakes, and what do you think companies did, stock buy back, which of cruse has keep stock market Blooming.