Engine Tech
> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 06-12-18, 08:12PM   #1
Dragncar

Default New IA2, one hole larger than the rest

New IA2 block. Got a great deal on it. And it was because it has one bore that is larger than the rest and one that I was told has a small "nick" in it.
The one with the nick, you can only see it, dark spot. But can not feel it with your fingernail. I think it might hone out. It is #2 and is 4.338 right now.
Intend to go with 4.35 pistons.
The big one is not near as large as I thought. #7 @ 4.361
I could run that hole the next size, enough to clean up. People do do this sort of thing. Its unconventional. I guess the bore would also depend on me being able to get the same custom, back cut ring pack that the other 7 would have.
I would avoid having to sleeve it.
It would only be a issue later on if the block was taken out to max bore. That hole would then have to be sleeved.
But in reality the chances of this block being taken to max bore, by me is remote.
Thoughts?
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-18, 08:38PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

I take it you already have set of pistons for a 4.350 bore, usually .006 to .008 piston to wall depending on pistons of course. But if the bigger hole needs next size piston, you think you can get just one oversize piston made for that hole ? I donít know if you can get a piston company to make up just one piston, if thatís whatís need. Going to be interesting to see if possible.

I do know my IA11 block need more then just a hone job to fit my new 4.350 bore pistons. Canít really remember but think is was something like .004-.005 so I got charged for a full bore job. May have been just my situation who knows

My guess take it with your pistons to your machine shop and they could tell you better.
Old 06-12-18, 09:42PM   #3
Gach
Administrator

If it ends up, thatís whatís needed and can get one over size piston made, itís going to be interesting to see what the cost is.
Old 06-13-18, 01:27AM   #4
Dragncar

I do not have any pistons. I sold mine to DCI. I am getting ready to order them and I wanted to be very sure on my sizes, the block the way it is and all.
I am pretty sure I can get the one piston made, for a price. But the rings ??
These are custom rings, made special to order. I bet the cost of the one sleeve will be less than trying to get that one hole larger piston and rings.
Scott says these rings are the finest available in 4.35 bore. 40-50 HP vs standard rings and no Vpump.
I am going for the number. Will not coast me all that much more and the pistons and rings will be right for what I want to do. Says they will last several seasons. The price is pretty good really.
I will do what they say if I can.
I know you can do the one piston thing. I wanted to ask the Boss Bird people about it. They do it that way. I just think the rings are going to be a sticking point.
Old 06-13-18, 02:56AM   #5
Gach
Administrator

If you got to buy pistons Just a thought, why go crazy with sleeve or sleeves, instead go with next size up pistons and bore it. You do know 4.350 bore piston BBC piston size, shouldnít be to hard to get rings for that, maybe .010 over. 4.360 bore ?
Old 06-13-18, 03:47AM   #6
Dragncar

The big hole is 4.361. So .020 over should do it. If I can find a way to get the same rings Scott wants to run and still get two more bores out of it that might be the way to go.
Bore of 4.370 gets me a 539.95ci call it a 540
Old 06-13-18, 04:05AM   #7
Gach
Administrator

Iím thinking .010 over 4.360 bore, then hone to fit piston, .005-.060 piston to wall canít see way, you couldnít order them that way, might be wrong would have to check with piston company call Ross or JE.

I called Ross about going with 34 cc dish for a Turbo set up, they were really good for 34 cc dish and set of rings. Pistons $1095 and $305 for rings. JE about the same price.

That would bring compression down to 9.1 still keep it pump gas and with about 12 lbs of boost make 1100-1200 hp. Cruise around with 5lbs of boost, Turn the nob bingo 1100-1200 hp. 93 octane just pull up to the pump.
Old 06-13-18, 04:44AM   #8
KrisR

Yep, just get 4.360 pistons, bore it to 4.360 and hone to size... No need to overthink it.
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 07:56AM   #9
Lil Jack
Drag Racer

What he said^^^^^
Lil Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 09:10AM   #10
SikGoat
ECMTTFMF'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR View Post
Yep, just get 4.360 pistons, bore it to 4.360 and hone to size... No need to overthink it.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
4.66 @ 158mph @ 3715lbs
SikGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 03:36PM   #11
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Iím thinking .010 over 4.360 bore, then hone to fit piston, .005-.060 piston to wall canít see way, you couldnít order them that way, might be wrong would have to check with piston company call Ross or JE.

I called Ross about going with 34 cc dish for a Turbo set up, they were really good for 34 cc dish and set of rings. Pistons $1095 and $305 for rings. JE about the same price.

That would bring compression down to 9.1 still keep it pump gas and with about 12 lbs of boost make 1100-1200 hp. Cruise around with 5lbs of boost, Turn the nob bingo 1100-1200 hp. 93 octane just pull up to the pump.
Its all up to Scott and if I can get the rings in that bore. I understand there are some bore sizes you can't get some rings for.
He showed me a pic of a "like" HP builds Ross pistons with the gas ports I need. They look very nice and less money than what you quoted. Rings are more though. I kept the pins and locks from the pistons I sold so I will run them.
If the 4.360 bore will work with his custom rings sounds like a plan. I thought the "big" hole was much larger and would need a sleeve no matter what. If I can make it work with no sleeves then the price I got the block for makes it a even better deal. Big cam, big lifter too.
Bores are #1 4.339 #3 4.344 #5 4.344 #7 4.361
#2 4.338 #4 4.338 #6 4.339 #8 4.339
4.360 would give me one bore. 4.380 is another then you have 4.41 . Might be a plan.
You would have a hard time NOT making 1200HP with your heads. Would be very cool. Single turbo ? 12 bolt might not like the extra power for very long though.
Old 06-13-18, 05:54PM   #12
Gach
Administrator

Nah 12 bolt has Chrome Molly axle ?????, axle braces, pro gears, spool, the cover that goes to the main caps that holds the posi in for deflection, itíll hand 1200 hp no problem. Trans have the big shaft 36 sprag 220 first gear and aluminum drum. Probably 5-6000.00 trans if you had to buy it. Just my guess.

Just going to be a pump gas street car we can take out any time have fun with...shake up the Local Chevy boys- go to the track. When the sprit moves us and see what sheíll do. Heís like his dad big dreams but heíll make it happen.

He was into bikes has a Harley Davison that runs 10.00ís, that he sold, heís got hurt on it a few times. Guys were frighting over it.

He has driven the 70 a few times ran 9.80 first time every driving it, tired to tell him make some easy passes and get use to it, the wheel stand scared the shit out of him...LoL But he loved it. Got all up set when I deside to sell it, heís been following the turbos, you know he wants to out do the old man, I love it.

Heís a smart kid, weíve had our go arounds, but heís finally Grown-up. Funny story when get on a job he takes over like Iím his helper, runs the show but when he gets in trouble I just stand there and grin, he looks at me and says, well your the plumber you figure it out...LOL

Iím 5-10 heís a big boy 6-2 so I canít so push him around. Best son a dad could ever ask for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	852FDD1A-692A-47A0-8A82-89005729FBD3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	29325  
Old 06-13-18, 06:26PM   #13
Dragncar

Its good to hear Gach. The car getting back out there with your son. Good times ahead.
Should have bought it when I had the chance.
But the rear, a 31 spine Mark Williams axle in a 9" has got to be near as big as you can get, comparing it to anything you can get for a 12 bolt. I snapped one in half, never thought I could in a 11 flat car, but I did.
I am sure it will be fine, just on the edge. You don't hear much about big power and 12 bolts. Turbo power should help, the hit and all.
Mark Williams are the best there is.
Old 06-13-18, 06:42PM   #14
Dragncar

Scott thinks I should go 4.375 .025 over stock. I still have 4.380-4.90 and 4.410
That is plenty of rebuilds I probably would never need. You would think as hard as those blocks are they wear pretty good.
Old 06-13-18, 11:15PM   #15
transtalon

Those IA2 block cylinder wall is not as hard as everyone thinks. It gets scratch relatively easy with those napier rings. I ask my machinist and he said that Brodix is soft and Dart is hard. IA2 is in the middle of those two blocks. This is when he bore and hone the block.
transtalon is offline   Reply With Quote