User Name
Password

Forced Induction This section for the traditional Pontiac V8

sponser links

Old 04-14-09, 01:23AM   #1
desertdueler
69 firebird

Default Turbo exhaust question

First off I know this isnt the best way to route it, just thinking of doing this temp. until I will have a lot more time to build a set of headers, or buy jeffs when they become availble. Anyways, run my headers to the dual 3" exhaust I have, then run the pass side over to the drivers side at the end of the subframe, then run them together, make a 180 and a pipe( not sure what size pipe, probably 3.5") up along the outside of the frame. Then have it follow the frame and go up by the drivers upper control arm and mount the turbo as close to the drivers front of the motor. I only have an alt. and an electric water pump, so nothing to really get in the way. Would the 3" be too big for the two pipes? I could go back down 2.5", then use a 3 or 3.5" pipe to the turbo. This was my thought instead of a remote turbo. Any ideas on this? Once again, not looking for every last bit of hp, just trying to get more hp. Also with this setup, Jeff, do you think I could use one of your tv turbos? I am only looking into 10 psi maybe a little more. Still working with stock crank and rods.

Dan
desertdueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 01:29AM   #2
desertdueler
69 firebird

Or I could probably shorten it and run it in between the motor and trans is that would help

Dan
Old 04-14-09, 10:49AM   #3
turbo69BIRD

One thing Id like to poit out here is that if you actually look at the length of some of the front mount headers set ups routed off of a exsisting exhaust manifold and compare it to a remote mount turbo set up were not talking about a ton of extra length here.

That being said I think anyplace you put it you can make a turbo work.

Ive seen them everywhere in a car. front, way back in the trunk,anywhere as long as the turbine size is matched to the amount of airflow and heat energy expelled it will work on the car.

Of course the compressor has to be sized correctly also.

Then the oil system has to be adapted to work properly but this CAN be done in any location. Easiest is short pipes, up high for drain back, in a spot that you have some room.

The Ideal turo project is a small block chevy in a 70's 80's 2 Wheel drive pick up.LOL

for the rest of us we have to make compromises to make it work
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 11:12AM   #4
Chris Petersen

When you say subframe, I am assuming you have a second gen bird?
If so, here are some pics I found off the net of a single turbo on the pass
side using ex. manifolds. Will have to get rid of the inner fender,
but looks doable. I am going to try this, but not sure if my TV series
turbo will fit in this spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo.manifold.ypipe.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	18996   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo.manifold.ypipe.2.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	18997   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo.manifold.ypipe.3.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	18998   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo.manifold.ypipe.4.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	18999  

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Comp 294s cam, KRE Aluminum D-port heads 290 cfm, 10.6-1 compression, Pump gas, Torker II intake, Holley 830DP carb, TH400, Continental tight 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. First day out 11.74@116. Needs more tuning, yet to come.
Chris Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 01:35PM   #5
desertdueler
69 firebird

1st gen (69 firebird). I am also using headers since I threw away the exhaust manifolds over 10 years ago. But that is very similar to what I was thinking. I have no inner fenders, so no worries there. Also I was going to move the turbo up just in front of the motor since I dont have power steering, or a/c, and my alt is right next to the crank on the drivers side.

Dan