Engine Tech
> Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Forced Induction This section for the traditional Pontiac V8

sponser links

Old 10-05-16, 05:00PM   #1801
turbo louie

it has a 1 inch plate over the converter. I highly doubt that it ballooned but I guess anything is possible . I'm seeing the input shaft has .043 endplay. Should be 24 to 30 . So that's a little much... But don't think that's the problem. I'm wondering if bogging the motor in third helped in wasting it.. Other then that I have no clue at this point. Was hopping you would have some ideas on this...
Old 10-06-16, 02:57PM   #1802
turbo louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69BIRD View Post
I'd typically say you ballooned the converter but if it looks ok then idk I'll have to think about that one.
Did you think about it???
Old 10-06-16, 06:13PM   #1803
turbo69BIRD

Not yet, it's been 5 min in my world. Lol ��
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 11:27PM   #1804
turbo louie

So much for the old days.. .. hahaha
Old 10-07-16, 12:31AM   #1805
turbo69BIRD

could it just have been torn up by debris rather than load?
Old 10-08-16, 01:02PM   #1806
turbo louie

I doubt it...
Old 11-21-16, 08:31AM   #1807
turbo louie

I found a kink in one of the tranny lines so im caulking it up to that being the problem. I put the motor back together and so far its good. been driving it around now set at 25 psi for over a month. I haven't put it up on the trans break yet because I think that's where I made this all happen last time. lol I first wanted to drive it to see if it started happening again . But now that it hasn't I guess I should try it .

Oh , I also turned the timing down from 26 degrees to 18 just because of all the cranks that got fracture in this motor.. Not saying that the 26 degrees is the culprit just being safe until I get it back to the dyno. That way I can work the timing both ways and see where the power drops off from both sides . Then ill set it in the middle... I also learned that by turning the timing down the boost goes a little higher. I guess more heat more boost.. hahaha..
Old 11-24-16, 12:37PM   #1808
turbo louie

Had my first almost legit 1/4 mile race with my 4 cylinder today. 2 guys in a 75 Camaro pulled along side of me when I was starting to stage my car on the prepped street where everyone one races in my town. Don't really know what was in the car as far as performance . From what I saw it had cal - tracs, skinnys and a big drag radial. Looked like Hoosiers maybe. No clue on the motor. He said "want to go" So I said yes! But I have a 4 cylinder with a turbo so I need the skip. He said ok go! So I went and I guess he waited for my power to come in , had to peddle it a bunch to finally get it to grab half way through second. He stayed in my rearview fading back the hole way . After, they pull along side of me at the light, the passenger holding this big o'll cigar says mann those turbo's really got some top end don't they! Then the driver leans forward so he can see me passed his friend and says, I tried to catch you but there was no way, that car is fast! Then they drove away. I wanted to race them again but i guess they wanted no part of that.. haha! The motor is turned down too..
Old 11-24-16, 02:36PM   #1809
JSPONT

Awesome, you had some fun on Thanksgiving! That race will go different when a 70 Lemans shows up next to you!! Hold my spot until I running again.
Glad you represent us Pontiacs so well!
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-16, 07:15PM   #1810
turbo louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Awesome, you had some fun on Thanksgiving! That race will go different when a 70 Lemans shows up next to you!! Hold my spot until I running again.
Glad you represent us Pontiacs so well!
I represent only half of them.

The only way its going to go any different is if you turn that 70 Lemans up past 25 psi boy! So being I know you are too chicken to do that, it will go the same!
Old 11-25-16, 01:30AM   #1811
turbo69BIRD

With all the video you get you couldn't get a video of that for us,

Happy to hear it's performing though.

Happy turkey day too.
Old 11-25-16, 08:50AM   #1812
turbo louie

Hey Jeff, Happy thanksgiving to you as well.

Haha i know. I haven't charged up my camera in a very long time. I should of. That morning I was just intending on going for a short ride before going to my mothers for Thanksgiving. I wound up being over by the strip when it dawned on me I could make a pass. So I was waiting for cars to go by when this guy pulled up. If I didn't wait for the those cars I would of never had this race, if you want to call it that! lol! It really wasn't a fare race because he let me go first but it was fun. Now I want to put nos on it to try an get it to spool. It would of been more gratifying to have actually raced him heads up.. I think if I got some Moroso trick springs and get it to spool it would leave pretty good...
Old 11-25-16, 10:34AM   #1813
marks73ta

Hey Charlie and Happy belated Thanksgiving to you. Good to hear the "Little Beast" is still showing its taillights to Chevies, LOL. I'm not sure where I stand on my 4 cylinder right now. My crank has been getting "done" for over a year now and I've had enough waiting. I should be getting it back and I'll make one more try with a local machinist/engine builder near me. The crank has a small crack on the surface that we wanted to see if a cut to BBC rod journal will eliminate. Whether a straight cut, a de-stroke cut, or a stroking cut will eliminate the crack, I was OK with any of those operations, as long as the crank was OK to use afterwards. The crank was already cryo'd. If that does not work out, then I may just drop the whole project. I'm waiting word from the speed shop down in Tucson that the crank has been returned from the crank shop, then I'll go get it. So right now it's all up in the air. Damn. I'll give it one more shot with the local shop and see how that turns out. Great to hear that yours is out and about again.

Mark
Old 11-25-16, 02:26PM   #1814
JSPONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo louie View Post
I represent only half of them.

The only way its going to go any different is if you turn that 70 Lemans up past 25 psi boy! So being I know you are too chicken to do that, it will go the same!
I did by a snow meth injection kit
I think Ill cover you at 12 though. remember you will be playing catch up to an 8 cylinder.
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-16, 10:37PM   #1815
turbo louie

Thanks Mark. Happy Thanksgiving to you too..

Why don't you just buy another crank ?