> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 02-19-07, 03:06AM   #1
tweety
the blue canary

Thumbs up Ohio Crankshaft - good supplier

Here's a better than average result with a part supplier in today's market place. I've been in the middle of building myself a new engine for too long now. Due to budget constraints on my part, my 463 build has been taking way longer than an engine build should. Anyhow, about a year and a half ago, I bought a 463 reciprocating ass'y from Ohio Crankshaft through my local speedshop. It sat until just recently when the machine shop I'm dealing with went to balance it. He got started on it and found the rods were way out to lunch weightwise and had a couple of size issues also. This stuff can happen with any supplier.
Now after this length of time most suppliers would say tough luck. Ohio Crank got the info from them and said there's no way we can match those rods up, send 'em back and we'll ship you a new set. After some of the grief I've gone through on this build, this was something that gave me a new bit of faith that there are still some morals left in the new business world. Thanks Ohio Crankshaft.
Old 02-19-07, 04:03PM   #2
U12RACE
468 '69 Firebird

Thumbs up

I also had a good experience with Ohio Crankshaft. Last summer, I grenaded my 464 just after taking the points lead in Pro class. Wondering what to do, I gave O.C. a call. The next day, since they are only 2 hours away, I took my spare 400 block to Ohio Crankshaft. They bored and honed it +.065, decked it to zero deck height, line bored it, and installed freeze plugs and cam bearings. Their stroker kit included: 4.25 stroke nodular crank with 3" mains and 2" rod journals, S.R.P. pistons with pins and locks, file fit rings, 6.8 BBC H- beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts, and rod and main bearings. The assembly was also balanced and the block was clearanced for the stroker assembly.
To my surprise, they had it ready in 6 business days. Remember that this was in the middle of race season! I double checked the specs while I assembled it and found them to be right on the money.

Speaking of money, the total bill for parts and shop work was $2,145.

Thanks to Ohio Crankshaft, I only had to borrow a car for one weekend.

Last edited by U12RACE : 02-19-07 at 04:06PM. Reason: left something out
U12RACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 06:01PM   #3
tweety
the blue canary

Nice combo. These guys really do seem to care about the customer, and it shows. I'm using the 463 kit with a 4.21 stroke, 3.00" mains and 6.625 rods. Should be plenty for street-strip. E-heads and a Crower 60919 cam with 1.65 rockers. (at least that's the cam I'll be starting with). Hoping to get this thing up and runnin sometime this year finally. Still have to finish the body on my 75 bird too. If the engine gets done and still no body, I may replace the car. Gettin a bit tired of missing out on race seasons.