Engine Tech
> Carburetion & Fuel sytems
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 11-22-13, 02:25PM   #1
frbformula

Default E85 Dominator

I have had great sucess converting an old 3 curcuit dominator into a street driven 2 curcuit dom. Now with the increase of fuel cost I am going to E85. I know that I have to increase all the flow about 35% but I cannot find any information on what size and location the emulshion bleeds should be.

Does anyone know what the e bleeds should be?
frbformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 12:29PM   #2
frbformula

It seems that know one has any information on E-85 Dominators so below is a thread from MSV that has some good information on the conversion. Also MSV has a whole section dedicated to E-85. There is some good reading on that site. I will be doing the conversion this winter and will post results when the weather breaks in spring.

http://www.motorsportsvillage.com/fo...hp?f=21&t=8180
Old 12-23-13, 10:16PM   #3
Gach
Administrator

Good link
Old 01-28-14, 02:10AM   #4
sprint250
Moteesuh

This is short but a good read:
http://injectordynamics.com/articles...about-alcohol/
Old 01-28-14, 12:35PM   #5
frbformula

That is a very good read for anybody wanting to switch to E-85.

Here is the shorter version for those who dont like to read:

1. Do not let your E85 or methanol powered car sit for extended periods of time. In hot humid weather, the alcohol can absorb enough water to rust injectors in less than a week. If the car is going to sit, “pickle” the fuel system by emptying the tank and flushing the system by running the engine on gasoline for a few minutes.

If you drive your care a decent amount then this is no worries

2. Monitor the ethanol content of your fuel. This can be done one of two ways. Either install a fuel composition sensor, or measure it directly using the “baby bottle method” which is detailed at the end of this article.

They sell simple ethanol test kits that use a strip that is dipped in the fuel to measure ethanol content. Buy your fuel in buld from the gas station and measure it or keep a small can in the car to test the fuel befor you fill up.

3. Tune conservatively. Knowing that the octane value of the fuel can change even if the ethanol content remains constant, you will be wise to leave a few hp on the table by keeping that final 2 degrees of advance to yourself.

If it is not a all out race the 15hp - 20hp you lose by putting in a conservative tune is no big deal

4. Eliminate the consistency issues altogether by purchasing “racing” E85 by the drum. Not exactly practical for the average street car, but if you’re racing I wouldn’t even consider running E85 from the pump. In addition to having a consistent ethanol content, E85 from a race fuel blender should insure that the “other hydrocarbons in the gasoline boiling range” used to make up the remaining 15% are of high quality with a reasonable octane rating.

Better yet, buy E98. The car may be a bit hard to start on a cold morning, but it is a race car right?

5. Don’t be stupid. This should cover anything I forgot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldnt let any of this deter anyone from using E85. You just have to be careful
Old 03-11-14, 11:36AM   #6
thetastelingers

Thanks. I am about to go E85 and this info helps.
thetastelingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-15, 10:15AM   #7
frbformula

Thetastelingers,

Have you switched to e85 yet? Any results on drivability and the tune you used?

I have my car idling very good on e85 but I am still waiting on getting my shifter so I cant do anymore tuning until I can drive it.
Old 08-17-15, 06:46PM   #8
keith
Stubborn old goat

I have an interest in E85 and was going to start a new thread "Compression Ratio - Pings on 93 doesnt With E-85" to try to get information on pushing the envelope of compression to where it is most advantageous to the fuel, are people doing that, and what are their results. Ethanol is supposed to be 106 octane or higher. If this is true there needs to be a way to measure the fuel so that its ethanol content can be depended on if going this route to avoid engine damage ... but I can tell you I load E10 and E85 at load racks everyday and the amounts are dead nuts ... at least at the Gulf Chelsea MA rack or Irving Revere MA loading facilities I load at. You can see it on the loading monitors. Racks shut down when the there is no ethanol, I know Ive sat there waiting for it. I cant see how any rack in the country would be otherwise, mixes are all controlled by computers and federally mandated. I see flex-fuel cars that will run on gas or e-85 and have not checked their CR but would venture to say its probably the same running on either fuel and at an 87octane gasoline fuel "safe" level. So one of the primary positive elements of the fuel is being sh**-canned for the sake of duality. Just the correct fuel mixture should generate a very slight improvement in power, with added compression significantly more ... but if they are not trying to maximize one for E-85 they may not be for the other ... after all gas is much more readily available and what most flexie's have in their tank anyways.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 11:56AM   #9
turbo louie

I have most of the info that you will need . If you want to give me a call I will give it to you.

Heres my cell number. 631 294 9095..

Charlie
Old 09-09-15, 05:20AM   #10
keith
Stubborn old goat

Thanks Charlie ... Will give you a call ... I'm currently alittle bewildered trying to accept atmospheric pressure as the motivator of the charge through the intake tract ... Have to swallow this concept and readjust my brain by doing some measurements and calculations, then I will be in a better position to learn adapting my next poncho to e85. It will probably bring my 64 back to the road will call you soon , Thanks keith
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 10:06AM   #11
turbo louie

No problem. Any time....